Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

project 2501

Chimp
Nov 24, 2008
Pécs
can anyone tell meg the exact dimensions of the o5-o6 lower shock pin axle?
and the shock spacers total lenght with everything around 30 mm i think ,but exactly how much?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm building up a 2007 Elite frame for myself to replace my Foes and I just wanted to recap and confirm a few things that I've gathered from this thread and somethings I still haven't got a positive answer on(afterall there's 120+ pages and I didn't read it all in the first sitting).

The DHX Air and Marz Roco coil clear the linkage on the '07 just fine via the info on the first page..
Does the Roco Air WC clear?

I think I remember reading the the IronHorse team was running the '06 DHX Airs at Sea Otter a few years back(probably '06), did Udi try an air shock on his as well?

What's the word on air shocks on the Sundays, I've read that it works well with the sundays suspension design but then again it's an air shock on a DH bike as well.

Good or bad?
(Most the time the bike is going to see runs somewhere in the 4 minute times or less)

-Kevin

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm building up a 2007 Elite frame for myself to replace my Foes and I just wanted to recap and confirm a few things that I've gathered from this thread and somethings I still haven't got a positive answer on(afterall there's 120+ pages and I didn't read it all in the first sitting).

The DHX Air and Marz Roco coil clear the linkage on the '07 just fine via the info on the first page..
Does the Roco Air WC clear?

I think I remember reading the the IronHorse team was running the '06 DHX Airs at Sea Otter a few years back(probably '06), did Udi try an air shock on his as well?

What's the word on air shocks on the Sundays, I've read that it works well with the sundays suspension design but then again it's an air shock on a DH bike as well.

Good or bad?
(Most the time the bike is going to see runs somewhere in the 4 minute times or less)

-Kevin
I've never read anywhere about an air shock working good on a sunday. But then again I race with a dude that runs a DHX air on his and loves it and usually podiums in old man cat 1.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've never read anywhere about an air shock working good on a sunday. But then again I race with a dude that runs a DHX air on his and loves it and usually podiums in old man cat 1.
I did a google search of ridemonkey, mtbr and pinkbike and found a few mentions of it, but not much; hence the reason I have to ask what the general verdict is. I know some bikes are obviously better with an air shock than others, but I'm trying to figure out if I should go for it or not.

-Kevin

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have read previously that DW and skat-odd did some testing with the dhx air and found some fault with it. I believe they said it was too linear feeling or that it lacked some mid-stroke properties found in most other shocks. I think what I gathered was that it "felt weird".

Other people have used the shock without fault, and I would imagine that if you're light, you'll probably notice it less. I'd stick with coils, but if I had one lying around I might try it.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm 150lbs(usually less) with gear. Most my runs will be sub 4 minutes so less time to heat up, although time is not as relevant as the terrain/how much work the shock has to do.

I wish I had an Evolver handy to see if it would fit in the frame and how well it would work. I tend to hear more good thing about the Evolver than any other air shock on long travel bikes. That and my Revox's are pretty darn awesome.

-Kevin

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Honestly, I think you'll be fine. The dude I know is around 200lbs and he says it still works good even racing on fast, hard, rough tracks.

Aug 19, 2009
PNW/Sweden
for the record, I am running a DHX 5.0 air on my 06 Sunday. Works great for me. I am probably in the 140 lb range with gear on. I did end up needing more air in it than I thought I did as my first guess, but everything feels good.

also up at whistler a few weeks ago and did a few Freight Train->Dirt Merchant->Lower A-Line runs without stoping at all top to bottom, and did not notice any ill effects from a heated shock, or any other inconsistency. It wasn't super hot out, but not cold either.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have read previously that DW and skat-odd did some testing with the dhx air and found some fault with it. I believe they said it was too linear feeling or that it lacked some mid-stroke properties found in most other shocks. I think what I gathered was that it "felt weird".

Other people have used the shock without fault, and I would imagine that if you're light, you'll probably notice it less. I'd stick with coils, but if I had one lying around I might try it.
I just talked with the dude w/ the dhx air sunday. He thought that the previous models of the DHX-A lacked mid-stroke compression resistance, which made that shock feel like poo on a lot of bikes. I can attest to that as I thought that shock on my Nomad was horrible. It blew through its travel, heated up and rebound faded on long, rough trails. But apparently the newer DHX-A are better and that's what he's running.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
will a roco coil fit a o6 linkage?
It should. If not, you can file the slight bit of aluminum off the shock where it rubs. You need to install the shock "dry" (without spring or bolts) and run it through its travel and see if it rubs anywhere. I did this (and so did many others) on their 05 sundays and rocos.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I just talked with the dude w/ the dhx air sunday. He thought that the previous models of the DHX-A lacked mid-stroke compression resistance, which made that shock feel like poo on a lot of bikes. I can attest to that as I thought that shock on my Nomad was horrible. It blew through its travel, heated up and rebound faded on long, rough trails. But apparently the newer DHX-A are better and that's what he's running.
I know what you mean about the older DHX's feeling like poo. I have a friend who rides an Foes FXR with a DHX Air and that shock feels horrible on the bike. The Curnutt Air and Coil feels tons better. Then again another friend threw a DHX air on his Ellsworth Rogue and it felt wonderful, no complaints at all.

I'm going to go ahead and snag the DHX Air and try that out. It'll be a month or two before the bike is done, but I think it should be a pretty unique/fun build.

-Kevin

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Apologies if this has already been covered, but I did a search and couldnt find an answer. Basically will a bos stoy go straight on an 09 sunday or do you need a new link? I know a new link was required with the older sundays to fit the bos, just not sure about the 09 as there seems to be alot of teams running bos on the 09 frame this year.

Cheers!

Iceman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
Sweden
shagwell - I haven't tried this myself, so correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't BOS design their own link because of that particular reason; that a "factory" link didn't fit the Stoy, regardless link year model?

salalelo - yes, you can run the DHX Air on a 06 linkage (it's also covered on first page). Just be sure you get the right hardware to it.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Just wondering, were there any issues with wearing on the 09 links like the 06-7 did? or any other issues that could arise.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
09 frame is identical to 08, and the only change from 07-08 was the vivid-compatible link in some frames (tiny bit of machining out to clear HSR adjuster).

BOS doesn't fit any sunday frame without the BOS link (which can be bought with the shock), or a fair amount of modification to the stock (07-09) link.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It won't (99% sure), you'll either need to modify the link or find a BOS link. Same story as above basically, but if you're handy with a file/dremel it's not impossible at all.

But I think the push MX is vapourware anyway, like most of their stuff.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They talked about it in the PUSH boxxer thread, and said that some have shipped but they will NOT fit the Sunday. Whether they are real or not...who knows.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
The BOS shock definately doesn't fit the '08 linkage (green) frame, because when I got mine I checked, out of curiousity. The 'hoop' brace bit would probably need to be cut out for it to work. Not sure what sort of effect that would have on the linkage though!

TF no longer do BOS in the UK, its now another company. Although they can still service them I believe?

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
I have heard great things about the MX TUNE and since my DHX is on the fritz, I was gonna give it shot. BUT if there is something that will perform as well or better.... Whaddaya know UDI??

By the way, just got done with Locktiting in my bearings and such--with my new pivot bearings and all went well. The play in the linkages is gone, but I have a few mm of play in the shock before it actually starts it's compression. Almost feels like the valve body bolt came loose or something in there. Tried more air, but that didn't seem to work---should I locktite the shock rod:eek: LOL! Thanks for the tip with the locktite!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They can still do the pro tune, which is fairly cost effective and I think davep had very good luck with the tune they did for him. I'd consider doing it, but I think I like the avy tuned 5th better, simply because their suspension worked for me well in the past, and 5th elephants are cheap. Plus, you get the added compression adjuster.

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
Turns out I have cavitated the shock. Meaning the air is in the oil causing a void in compression at the very start of rod/piston movement. That being said, I feel a bit challenged by the tune of the rear suspension. It feels really good when it's soft (much sag), but once I ramp up that initial compression (air, spring preload, or propedal) it tends to wanna lose a bit of traction at high speed through a brake checked berm and other smaller chatter. But in the soft tune state--a big hit could be too much for the shock. In my case going from a flowy trail to a flat out DH trail without knowing just how hard I was going to slam the bike. Nobody's fault but my own, but a bit more bottom out or a separate hi/low speed compression adjuster might be a nice feature! Hmmmm. I did have the PUSH tuned DHX5 and it is going back to get rebuilt.

The 5th huh??? I will study that.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The PUSH tune for the DHX significantly improved high speed bump compliance(chatter) while also preventing overtravel/bottom out on large flat/g-out hits. Rebound feel as well as adjustment range were significantly better as well...for me.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Turns out I have cavitated the shock. Meaning the air is in the oil causing a void in compression at the very start of rod/piston movement. That being said, I feel a bit challenged by the tune of the rear suspension. It feels really good when it's soft (much sag), but once I ramp up that initial compression (air, spring preload, or propedal) it tends to wanna lose a bit of traction at high speed through a brake checked berm and other smaller chatter. But in the soft tune state--a big hit could be too much for the shock. In my case going from a flowy trail to a flat out DH trail without knowing just how hard I was going to slam the bike. Nobody's fault but my own, but a bit more bottom out or a separate hi/low speed compression adjuster might be a nice feature! Hmmmm. I did have the PUSH tuned DHX5 and it is going back to get rebuilt.

The 5th huh??? I will study that.
I guess it's pretty easy to rebuild a DHX, if you want to do it, I have a variety of guides on the matter. I had Inclag do mine and it feels great now, but still not rebounding as fast as I would like, sometimes. I might need a heavier spring though. I had the exact same symptoms before it was rebuild. I had gotten dirt in the air valve and it lost all its pressure...sucks!

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
Sandwhich---I have redone a few fox snowmobile shocks in the past and have a nitro tank with most of the tools to do it up, but I do not have the particulars--IFP depth measurement and oil weight. Do you have them? Where did you find that info? I'll have Push do their thing again on mine and practice on a buddies shock first;)

As far as the rebound goes--If you are into the rebuilding, you should also know that you can modify the valve stack slightly to get your rebound faster (lighten that stack). I don't feel like taking the time to experiment however.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwhich---I have redone a few fox snowmobile shocks in the past and have a nitro tank with most of the tools to do it up, but I do not have the particulars--IFP depth measurement and oil weight. Do you have them? Where did you find that info? I'll have Push do their thing again on mine and practice on a buddies shock first;)

As far as the rebound goes--If you are into the rebuilding, you should also know that you can modify the valve stack slightly to get your rebound faster (lighten that stack). I don't feel like taking the time to experiment however.
Yeah, I didn't do it myself but it shouldn't be too hard. There's a better guide on pinkbike, but here's one:
http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/661268/

I think that has your IFP measurements too. I'll see if I can find the link to the one on pinkbike.

I think if I choose to further modify my shock, I'll try lighter weight RSF, as my compression is already on the lower end of the scale and I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter. I just haven't had time to rebuild it yet, and I think I need a 50lb heavier spring anyways which may alleviate my issues.

Then again, I've been debating getting a 5th-avy and just sell the DHX and be done with it.

Iceman

Chimp
Feb 14, 2009
Sweden
Yeah, I didn't do it myself but it shouldn't be too hard. There's a better guide on pinkbike, but here's one:
http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/661268/

I think that has your IFP measurements too. I'll see if I can find the link to the one on pinkbike.

I think if I choose to further modify my shock, I'll try lighter weight RSF, as my compression is already on the lower end of the scale and I wouldn't mind it being a little lighter. I just haven't had time to rebuild it yet, and I think I need a 50lb heavier spring anyways which may alleviate my issues.

Then again, I've been debating getting a 5th-avy and just sell the DHX and be done with it.
I can always translate the guide from happymtb if you don't find the english version, hehe ;)

OG4LIFE

Chimp
Jul 6, 2009
Helena, MT
HAHA! Some words didn't Translate through google, but I get most of it.

GREAT read! Thanks Sandwhich!:thumb:

Iceman--you oughta get busy building some links that will clear a bigger shock(PUSH MX TUNE body):)

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
@Iceman
How do you call those adjustable keys (just saw it in the manual) in sweden? Guess not swedish key?