Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Dsunday

Chimp
Nov 26, 2009
yes the upper link, where it meets the seat stay.
I was thinking a helicoil alright, the slots have just rounded off when i have tried loosening the bolt..even with heat applied (butane torch for 10 secs then 20 sec etc..)

I cant understand it at all as it was only medium strength blue loctite i used.
actually the nut is a good idea, would it have enough grip do you think?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hmmm...I just mocked up my frame to see if a small nut would even fit...but mine is in pieces right now. Could you remove the spring from the shock and see how much clearance you have between that bolt and the seat tube? If you have a reasonable amount, or the assembly never comes close, you could potentially run a pretty thick nut on there and never worry about it. Something with a nylock washer built in shouldn't come loose, either. I would think you could also run a slightly narrower one, if the bolt is strong and it has enough engagement, it may hold.

Where are you heating the bolt when you torch it? I'd suggest heating it from the back to try and remove/cook off all the loctite. Let the thing cool. Then, heat up the aluminum linkage instead of the bolt, and give it another shot. Aluminum should expand faster than the steel, so you should get a looser fit by that. Don't heat up the steel, it'll probably just make it more difficult in this case.

Try to use a phillips head driver, instead of just a flat one, since you'll have two places to grip (or four, rather). If the head is toast, try another easy out...drill nice and deep and pound the sucker in. heat up the alloy and give it another shot.

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
the bolts are in some state now and i think im going to give it to a machine shop to get them to drill them out.
anything i should tell them not to do!!
Good idea to give it to someone professional. I think they should not touch the threads of the upper link.
I don't know very much about aluminum but heating attempts might be a little bit critical for the material if it gets too warm.

can anyone confirm for me whether the 22mm hex heads are standard, right hand thread, or if one side or the other is reverse threaded? I'm going to go out and buy a 22mm hex tonight, but I want to make sure I don't try cranking them the wrong way.
Im almost positive the bolts are standard just make sure the wrench sits tight since the bolt has such a low profile (grind the face of the wrench) and just like everything SLOOOOOW PLEASE HAHAHAHA

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Im almost positive the bolts are standard just make sure the wrench sits tight since the bolt has such a low profile (grind the face of the wrench) and just like everything SLOOOOOW PLEASE HAHAHAHA
I got it with a breaker bar and as six point hex head. Was actually relatively easy all said and done.

i have tried to send pm but seems not possible. to all of you offering a sunday front frame or complete frame...Im the man with the cash!!!
if you're talking about me, I've decided to keep it for the time being. If something mind blowing comes out in oh say february, I might switch and offer it up then, but for now I'm hanging onto it.

How bad is the dent? I have a tiny dent in mine that they filled with bondo from the factory.

Little help.

friend got a clapped out sunday on a trade now he wants to repaint it and build it fresh. i just finished stripping it down for him and when i pulled the lower link(closest to the BB) it was a Home depot lag bolt passed through the frame and lower shock eyelet with a nut on the end :confused:. of corse this is not right so I wanted to know if pivot kits are still available for this frame and also if there is any difference in links and pivots thru out the years this bike was in production.

Thanks Brother.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm swapping the front triangle on my 08 medium Team with that of an 06 small Factory (I'm 5'5" and the medium is just too long). I've got my frame almost completely apart, but I'm having trouble getting the axle out where the lower link is connected to the rear triangle.

I was planning on replacing all of the bearings while stripping the paint for a nice raw finish.

I've tried threading a long M6 bolt into the axle and hammering it with a rubber mallet (from either side) and it won't budge. My last step is to try and soak it in liquid wrench/PB blaster and then try again.

My question though is this: if I can't end up getting that axle out, would it be safe to cover the bearings (mask them off) and use paint stripper very carefully around them? I've never stripped a frame before and this is a winter project, so I have a lot of time to do it.

Thoughts?

Side note: If anyone is looking for a M front triangle I'll have one. It's not pretty and it's got a small dent in the BB area, but there are no cracks.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Keep the long M6 bolt in there, and after making sure it's threaded in at least 1cm, swap the rubber mallet for a hammer. If any loctite products were used either upon factory assembly or by the previous owner there (609 retaining compound is a possibility as that particular point is a candidate for play developing) then it will be tight.

A good few whacks should get it to slide out, and the fact that the bolt is threaded in a fair amount should mean you shouldn't damage anything.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Keep the long M6 bolt in there, and after making sure it's threaded in at least 1cm, swap the rubber mallet for a hammer. If any loctite products were used either upon factory assembly or by the previous owner there (609 retaining compound is a possibility as that particular point is a candidate for play developing) then it will be tight.

A good few whacks should get it to slide out, and the fact that the bolt is threaded in a fair amount should mean you shouldn't damage anything.
Thanks man I'll give it a shot with the hammer. There's definetely play in there, but not enough that it bothers me too much. It feels (and looks) like there's play between the link and the axle and instead of the axle/link rotating together with the bearings, it seems like the link itself is rotating around the axle. This is why I want to replace the bearings.

It took me almost all weekend on and off to read through this whole thread, but there's a ton of killer information in here.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
For that axle, I think it's wiser to find a socket that's about the same size of the axle (slightly smaller to fit) and pound on that. You can get maximum force on it with no worry about the aluminum threads...I think something like a 7mm or so will fit....maybe 7/16". If you're pounding on the axle itself, you don't need to worry about threads. Mine was a beast but doing that got it out.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
That did the trick. Instead of pushing just the axle through it actually took the outside bearing with it! Both of those bearings are completely shot. It takes some muscle to move either one. Good thing I was able to get that thing out.

Thanks for the help!

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Cheers dude, I've got a bos link ready to be fitted, so no worries about getting the dimensions! I might email push and ask them how much the lcs/hsc knobs stick out with their mx tune and the same for avy, not sure which of the 2 to go for though, I decided bos/ccdb is probably too expensive for me at the moment! :(

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I've already spoken to Craig about the matter and the mod will fit no issues. I'm not sure about the Push mod, but as far as AVY you are all clear.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does anyone know if a dhx with the push MX tune or the avy MX upgrade will fit with the bos link?

Also, this popped up on southerndownhill forums:

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=387&Name=IRON+HORSE+Linkages+and+spares
I don't know about the BOS link, but I believe the MX tune (version 2) now fits the factory 07-08 linkage with no modification. The previous version did not....double check, but I'd bet the BOS link adds even more clearance.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Found an '06 Factory front triangle on ebay that got delivered today. I was planning on raw'ing the whole bike, but this thing looks like it's never even been ridden. Anyone know if the paint on this frame would hold up any better than the paint on an '08 Team? I'm using the rear triangle from my old bike which has seen 3 full seasons. Figured I would have to strip and/or paint at least that.

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
honestly i was under the impression that the older models had worse paint than the newer ones....regardless, sending it away for repaint isn't too hard, and rawdawging it is incredibly easy. I'm going to run my rawdawg next season, as these bikes are so friggin cheap, and they really perform better than anything similarly priced.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Found an '06 Factory front triangle on ebay that got delivered today. I was planning on raw'ing the whole bike, but this thing looks like it's never even been ridden. Anyone know if the paint on this frame would hold up any better than the paint on an '08 Team? I'm using the rear triangle from my old bike which has seen 3 full seasons. Figured I would have to strip and/or paint at least that.
Hey guys! Been a while!

Doug - that is the EXACT same model/color Sunday that Seplavy got for me as a crash replacement. I actually have it with me here next to the computer. :D

That frame looks to be in mint condition - why not save some cash and just ride it until it looks like hell, then media blast it for a repaint? If you like the color you have but want to get it done in a heavier coating the color is called "Pearl White" which has a cool blue-ish iridescent quality to it when viewed from a certain angle.

The paint on the 05-06' Sundays was EXTREMELY thin, so it will show wear after 1 season of riding. This has more to do with spray thickness and less with the actual paint formula. If you want to get it painted by the company that did the production Sundays back in the day, give LeeAnn at Class Act Paint and Powder a call in Portland Oregon.

http://www.classactpp.com/

Class Act Paint & Powder Coating
9256 SE 67th Avenue

Portland, Oregon 97206

Phone: 503-254-6400 503-254-6400
Fax: 503-254-6420
Toll Free: 866-823-0070 866-823-0070

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 7am-3:30 pm
Fri 7 am - Noon
Sat 9am -Noon

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
the color is called "Pearl White" which has a cool blue-ish iridescent quality to it when viewed from a certain angle.
The frame really is in mint condition. Seems like I've found quite the gem on ebay. The color really is cool too, which is why I've given the raw idea second thoughts. What I think might be the best bet is to strip the paint off the rear triangle (since it's spotty after 3 seasons anyways) and then go from there. Pearl white with a raw swingarm might look cool.

I was all set to buy a new dh bike for the upcoming season, but when I saw this I jumped on it. I've ridden a Sunday for 2 seasons and the only thing that I wanted to change was the size. Figured I would take this new frame, add an angleset, new hardware/bearings, and Push my DHX and I'll be riding basically a brand new bike for under $500. Can't beat that.

Good to see you back in the thread! I spent the better part of last weekend reading through the ENTIRE thing and it's been a huge help.

I was one of the shop techs for the last two seasons at Diablo and I think that I might have ridden with you late last season. We went riding on one of the old trails off of Fat Lip with Matt C. (the other shop tech). So much fun.

Looking forward to the spring!

Last edited:

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
anyone fit a reducer cups lately??noticed much in terms of change in slackness..

can get one made for me fairly cheap wondering if it will be worth my time getting one for the summer...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The frame really is in mint condition. Seems like I've found quite the gem on ebay. The color really is cool too, which is why I've given the raw idea second thoughts. What I think might be the best bet is to strip the paint off the rear triangle (since it's spotty after 3 seasons anyways) and then go from there. Pearl white with a raw swingarm might look cool.

I was all set to buy a new dh bike for the upcoming season, but when I saw this I jumped on it. I've ridden a Sunday for 2 seasons and the only thing that I wanted to change was the size. Figured I would take this new frame, add an angleset, new hardware/bearings, and Push my DHX and I'll be riding basically a brand new bike for under $500. Can't beat that.

Good to see you back in the thread! I spent the better part of last weekend reading through the ENTIRE thing and it's been a huge help.

I was one of the shop techs for the last two seasons at Diablo and I think that I might have ridden with you late last season. We went riding on one of the old trails off of Fat Lip with Matt C. (the other shop tech). So much fun.

Looking forward to the spring!
Saaayyy... OK. Was this the run where Matt almost killed himself going over the bars into some trees? LoL. ...or was it when he was showing me a new/unused section of trail? If not - we've definitely met if you work at the shop there. I've known Shawn since 04'.

Raw with the white front end would look pretty sick! An angleset from CC would be perfect as well as a PUSH'ed DHX. I'm getting the MX-Tune for my old DHX 5.0 so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against a stock RC4 which I also have.

Yeah - it's been a while since I've been in here. The way things went down at IH ticked me off because of not only how it happened but because of how it left a lot of really good people out of a job. ...not to mention leaving a TON of riders out of luck as far as replacement parts and warranty were concerned. Now that the dust has settled and some time has gone by, well... what's done is done.

It really amazes me how much people love this bike and the kind of reaction it has received since its debut. The fact that people would still prefer to ride it versus some of the other offerings currently out there speaks volumes about the design and the hard work that dw put into the bike. A Lot of people forget that THIS was has creation from the ground up. He not only did the suspension, but the entire frame design as well, and it seems to have stood the test of time. In a way it's kind of a classic I suppose, sort of like a 67' Mustang fastback or a 70' Chevelle LS6.

I'll update the Front Page in the next week and reorganize it a bit and add a few new things if there is time. Glad I could help!

Claus - didn't you send your Sunday to Class Act P&P to get 2 coats of Pear White shot on your frame so you would have the extra durability?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anyone fit a reducer cups lately??noticed much in terms of change in slackness..

can get one made for me fairly cheap wondering if it will be worth my time getting one for the summer...
lol wat???

I think a few people have done the reducer cup upgrade....with very good results. More modern DH bikes are coming in at 64*, so a 1 degree cup will make the Sunday competitive again.

I'm looking at an angleset for next summer, so I can park it at 64, but experiment with wicked siktor yaw angles at 63.5 as well.

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
Nice to see S.K.C.'s back.. i've always wanted a sunday and been watching this tread for ages.. never got one until couple months ago got myself 2nd hand 'small 08 team frame' slowly collecting parts then finally built & ridden mine today.

larger

It's not exactly perfect now, still need wider bars and better brakes etc, but overall i can see why so many riders love it, the rear end is ballanced and very communicative even with only a 'standard tune' fox van R shock that i got from ebay.

Thanks for so many info and tech stuff.. will keep on subscribed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mmm...i like the single crown. I considered running something like that since highland is so close, and i'm starting to enjoy riding there...

are the graphics near the seat bridge custom or factory? looks rad.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
or was it when he was showing me a new/unused section of trail? ?
This one :) I think I remember you saying something about the night before you having only slept for like 2 hours and still working off a hangover. I was in rough shape myself and I had never ridden the trail that Matt took us on, so it was definetely a sloppy and good ol' time.

I didn't realize that Dave designed the Sunday from the ground up. Even more reason to keep it. One of my close friends in the industry mentioned that when Sam was riding for IH he couldn't talk enough about how much he liked the bike. Such a great design, just a shame what happened with the company.

Is it spring yet?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
This one :) I think I remember you saying something about the night before you having only slept for like 2 hours and still working off a hangover. I was in rough shape myself and I had never ridden the trail that Matt took us on, so it was definetely a sloppy and good ol' time.

I didn't realize that Dave designed the Sunday from the ground up. Even more reason to keep it. One of my close friends in the industry mentioned that when Sam was riding for IH he couldn't talk enough about how much he liked the bike. Such a great design, just a shame what happened with the company.

Is it spring yet?
HahaHAha... LOL... OK - so we HAVE ridden together. :rofl:

Yeah... I was in the city the night before for a friend's birthday party... I'm not a drinker, so when I actually DO imbibe it's usually a sniper party - 1 shot 1 kill. LoL.

Yup - dw put a lot of work into that bike. In the industry, bike companies use suspension design to differentiate their product and sometimes it does exactly what it claims, and other times its just marketing. I can honestly say the dw-link does EXACTLY what it claims. I came off of a first gen. Demo 8 and the pedalling difference between the two was night and day. On my old Demo I needed something like 10 to 12 clicks of ProPedal (LSC) to cancel out pedal bob, but on my Sunday it only needed 2! I discovered this by doing back to back tests sprinting down a stetch of paved road behind a local bike shop.

bismojo - Thanks! NICE looking rig! Are those custom ano 721's? I actually have a set of those I'm saving for a custom build in the future. Nicely done!

Sandwich - the graphics on the seat mast are custom.

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i started to strip my sunday by hand and there are just too many surfaces and crevices to make it worth it to do by hand. I just had my powdercoater dip it in their chemical tank for $40. money well spent when considering how gross that aircraft stripper stuff is and how labor intensive it is. i didnt want the matte look of sand blasting and couldnt find anyone to soda blast it. i would like to see one soda blasted. long story short no matter what finish you decide on, have someone else strip it. I'm usually a DIY type person by the way.