Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
10 speed rear Zee derailleur, 9 speed SRAM shifter, 9 speed cassette and a little shim for the derailleur all works great.

Still have the above on my wifes DH bike. The person on RM who was selling the shims still has them as I inquired last year I think.

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for the replies, i drilled out the broken bolt and replaced it with a bolt from a shimano derailleur.

I'll keep those tips in mind when it comes to replacing the derailleur...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I believe the 05-06 only worked with the 5th Element rear shock without grinding it away. The 07 on forward worked with the Fox DHX 5.0 and some other shocks.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'm not 100% certain. That said, I doubt that they changed the hardware cause the frame would most likely have to be changed to accommodate it. Someone will chime in I'm sure once the work week starts back up.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I run a 2018 marzocchi bomber c2r on my 06 and it works perfectly with original hardwear
Good to know. The link was changed back in the day to accommodate other shocks besides the 5th Element. By today's standards, I'm not sure what does/doesn't fit the old links.

Jul 21, 2019
I've had my new betd lower link back , my bike was surpose to be a 06 model but now I've started taking the Matt black paint off it turns out to be the later green wc model , hence why I'm asking about all the hardware , the original link had screw in pivot bolts but the new link has no threads , so I've been machining up my own pivot / hardware to sort the issue out

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
So today marks a sad day, i sold the trusty old sunday which i put over 1k of parts into for 1000$ but on the brighter side i also picked up a 2019 scott gambler which im stoked with

Sep 2, 2020
Hi guys,

At first I want to thank you all for the huge amount of information I found in this topic, it's been an incredible source to learn about the mythic Iron Horse Sunday.
After dreaming for years of this machine, I finally bought an old dusty Sunday which was not far from home. It is an 05 Factory version with a custom build that have changed along the time. The bearing were almost dead, the paint was in a poor condition, the fork has an huge play ... but the Sunday remains a beast !
I'm looking to rebuild it like a stock version of the Iron Horse Sunday 2005 or 2006 (why not as Sam Hill 2006 Rotorua bike ?) but I need some stickers of this period to do so.

Do someone knows where it is possible to buy some ? There are some sellers on eBay but from older or newer versions.
Maybe someone kows the font used for the Iron Horse logo on the 05 or 06 bikes ? It might help me to make new stickers.

Thanks in advance !!

Jul 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am a new member to this forum, specifically for this thread. Thank you to all those that came before me.

I now own 2x IH sundays after researching them thoroughly here. A 2008 team, original frame in mint condition but updated spec & a 2006 factory with F7 linkage upgrade, original frame but paint has seen better days and spec looks like spares (DHX 5.0 shock installed upside down too). This is my next project bike

I'm looking to rebuild it like a stock version of the Iron Horse Sunday 2005 or 2006 (why not as Sam Hill 2006 Rotorua bike ?) but I need some stickers of this period to do so.

Do someone knows where it is possible to buy some ? There are some sellers on eBay but from older or newer versions.
Maybe someone knows the font used for the Iron Horse logo on the 05 or 06 bikes ? It might help me to make new stickers.

Thanks in advance !!
I can't help you straight away with font name, but I have an 06 factory with all original decals in place, I can photograph, measure and share the info with you? I plan to investigate a new sticker set myself but I have other urgent items to address first.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Maybe someone kows the font used for the Iron Horse logo on the 05 or 06 bikes ? It might help me to make new stickers.

Thanks in advance !!
Slik graphics do not have Ironhorse decals? https://www.slikgraphics.com
If they do not show it on their webpage e-mail them.

Sep 2, 2020
Thanks for your answers. I've dropped an email to Slik Graphics about my request. I'll let you know as soon as I get their answer. By the way, they have an amazing range of fork / shocks stickers !

@Benji Harrison If you could take some picture of the 06 decals and measure them, it will be a great help. With such pictures, I think I'll be able to redesign an approching sticker and print it locally. I will share the files if your are interested.

Sep 2, 2020
Hello Benji,

Thank you very much for this detailed and precise pictures of the decals. In fact it is really similar to the 05 decals kit of my Sunday and different than the kit Sam Hill was riding in 2005. Anyway it will help me in my serach of stickers, thank you !!! Do you also plan a paintjob for this frame ?

The frame is now ready for painting, I hope it will be done by the end of the month, I'll keep you posted with some pictures.

Found some decals kit on the web but nothing that can fit my project. I didn't get answer from Slikgraphics.

Sep 16, 2020
Old thread, old bikes :)

Built this one for my 12year old son, found it cheap. Bike was in quite good condition. Rebuilt it, serviced front fork, powdercoated frame, ordered a set of stickers. Rebuilt rims. 200lbs spring was the lightest available, boy weights around 45kg. Front is old 09 boxxer, just new stickers, rear shock is vivid 5.1. Did not service it as it seemed to work just fine and don't have knowledge yet of rear shocks. Frame is size small. Also installed Superstarcomponents -2 angleset.

Haven't yet measured weight, i'd assume 16.5-16kgs. Measured weight pretty much 17kgs :disgust: Could be a bit lighter for young rider but we'll see how it feels.

Maybe by swapping components could drop around 500grams, but i doubt that is worth it.

View attachment 141063
What was the headset spec that you used out of interest? I'm currently at this stage with mine

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
That's one of the editions I actually kept. And the one with the naked woman next to Gee on the inside cover.

Last edited:

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
What was the headset spec that you used out of interest? I'm currently at this stage with mine
Sorry for late response. Don't visit here too often...

But i checked my order from my email. I ordered from superstarcomponents (UK).

Below is a copy paste from the email. This is the set i used for my sons bike.

1 x
£49.99 each
Slackerizer Angle Headset - 2 Degree - UK Made

T4-4 ZS49/ZS49 120-130mm Straight Steerer
£49.99

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
Bikepark season over here in finland. Boys ironhorse has held quite well. I think he rode it like 15-20 days last summer. Will rebuild wheels with red spank spoon rims, he dent the rear rim at one point.

Seems to like the bike, told him we could consider upgrading to a newer bike but says this one is just fine.

Rear suspension linkage has developed a minor play. If i raise the bike from the saddle i can feel a minor play when the rear shock is fully extended. Will need to investigate where the play is. Did not change bearings when i rebuilt the bike last winter.

Sep 2, 2020
Here is a little update on my Iron Horse Sunday project with some pictures.

First one is the bike as I get it last summer.

Second one is the bike now : all components removed, axles and bearing removed (i'd never seen bearings destroyed as this !!!), the paint has been stripped.

The frame is now waiting for a fresh paintjob. I'm still looking for information about the green colour of the 2006 Sunday World Cup (if you have any advice, I'm intersted in), very difficult to choose the right colour only based on the catalog. Thanks to the pictures of @Benji Harrison, I have redisigned all the stickers of the bike, they will be printed soon ! I'll keep you posted with the next steps.

Attachments

Sep 2, 2020
For sure I considered the polished finish, famous World Champs 2008 bike !
But once polished, I don't really know how to protect the frame. Without protection, alloy may change colour and I think a very specific coating is required on polished surfaces. Have you any experience with that ? Second point is that the frame I get and a 2006 bike. Frame is almost the same but the axle screw are slightly different.

In fact I want to keep it as "original" as possible. Would be great to be as close as possible as the one below (without the red linkage). About the colour, the closest colour code I've found yet is Kawasaki Candy Lime Green. I will check a local motorbike paintshop to get more information soon.

The decals looks almost the same as the picture. I'll add a picture soon.

Attachments

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Experience with polishing - me personally not. A friend of mine polished the frame of a friend of ours - he just then put some sort of clear coat on it and that was that. No color change. Why do you need it to be as original as possible?

Jul 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for a rear axle, does anyone know of a spare for sale or a suitable replacement available to buy? I'm UK based but can order internationally if needed.

I've contacted an engineering workshop who can create one for me, but because it is a 1 of 1 the set up costs make it quite expensive.

Is anyone else wanting one? Once the set up has been completed the more we order the cheaper it will be.

shfff

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Hi guys, does anyone have info on the original green paint used on the 07 sunday world cups? looking at painting mine and want the OG electric green. Have contacted Class Act paint and powder in Oregon but no reply yet, does anyone have contact details for someone from Ironhorse who may be able to help? thanks

Zensaition

Chimp
Oct 12, 2021
Hey everyone, wow im still glad that Sundays are in lol, just bought one that was in rough shape for cheap but really dirty with stone like dust cleaned it up but the bearings and bolts are almost all rusty, for sure wasnt maintained to well but could be worse lol. Was wondering if there is anyone that makes the lower suspension bolts as the one that's in there is slightly bent and probs the one from 2007 lol its a Sunday ironhorse troy lee 2007 worldcup edition. The lower bolt is stuck it wont budge, just spins even the bigger bolt cover.

image_2021-10-12_210146.png
IMG_20211011_214705.jpgIMG_20211012_060341.jpgIMG_20211011_214713.jpgIMG_20211011_214736.jpgIMG_20211011_214727.jpgIMG_20211012_094345.jpgIMG_20211012_094351.jpgIMG_20211012_094357.jpg

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Was wondering if there is anyone that makes the lower suspension bolts as the one that's in there is slightly bent and probs the one from 2007 lol its a Sunday ironhorse troy lee 2007 worldcup edition. The lower bolt is stuck it wont budge, just spins even the bigger bolt cover.
Been a while since I worked on my Sunday, but I think that stuck bolt is threaded into the expanding end of the pin. Meaning, when that bolt is tight that side of the pin expands to hold it in place. What you might need to do is thread the bolt on the other side back in (to prevent the pin from rotating) and try to loosen the stuck end first instead of the other way around. Because if you can't get the stuck end loose I don't think that pin will come out.

Anyone that has worked on a Sunday more recently than I want to confirm this?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I just had to deal with a stuck bolt in the expanding end of the pin. Tap the pin out from the drive side gently, there's a good chance it will move with only light force. I had to clamp the pin in a vice and even with liberal application of kroil, loosening the seized bolt took some effort. There's zero chance I could have done that with the pin still in the frame.