Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

xianjw

Chimp
Feb 23, 2011
I think I may have a similar problem - I can get the drive-side bolt out no problems, but the non-drive is stuck: trying to loosen it with an allen key both ends just loosens off the drive side. I can't really see a way out of this one except maybe drilling it out which will cause more problems than it solves! Help, anyone?
ps I've tried tapping it out from the drive side after liberal application of penetrating fluid all over but no joy...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Been a long time, but I remember when I replaced the bearings, I had to take one bolt out, then tap the hell out of the pin to get it out. Once out, I needed a vise/visegrips to hold the center of the pin, then every manner of heat/oil/the will of god to get the other side out. I can't remember which side came out for me, but I remember it not being easy. You may have to blast it with a sledge, then clamp the pin to get the second bolt out. THen just replace it.

tum-yeto

Chimp
Jan 4, 2023
Hey Guys,

Been a long time Ironhorse guy, had an original Factory frame from 2005 when they came out. gutted I sold it.

Recently bought a (05/06) Team full bike, stripped it to rebuild it and looking for an exploded diagram of the 05 or 06 versions? bearings that came out were normal non extended race ones but after rebuilding with the same sizes its got a load of play and feels real tight down in the DW link area. Have used the same spacers that came out in exactly the same position so im a bit stumped.

Any help would be massively appreciated (note : I have searched on here and can only find the 2007 frame assembly diagram)

Cheers, Chris.

Ryanhendo

Chimp
Feb 3, 2023
Hey Guys,

Been a long time Ironhorse guy, had an original Factory frame from 2005 when they came out. gutted I sold it.

Recently bought a (05/06) Team full bike, stripped it to rebuild it and looking for an exploded diagram of the 05 or 06 versions? bearings that came out were normal non extended race ones but after rebuilding with the same sizes its got a load of play and feels real tight down in the DW link area. Have used the same spacers that came out in exactly the same position so im a bit stumped.

Any help would be massively appreciated (note : I have searched on here and can only find the 2007 frame assembly diagram)

Cheers, Chris.
Try real world cycling (rwc) if you in USA they do a bearing kit with correct bearing enduro max that have the larger race or if you in the uk try BETD they do a dw link, bearing kit and the main pivot bolt the one through the front of the dw link

Ryanhendo

Chimp
Feb 3, 2023
Thanks bru! I really appreciate all the feedback and love in this forum from u guys!
The current standings are as shown below:

View attachment 166660

Nice! Would love to see that project! We need to keep up our hands for all the awesome bikes from a couple of years ago. I am past the point were the newest and most expensive has to be the best. Hence the Sunday. I am extremely curious how it will handle and behave on real tracks. :D
[/QUOTE
Thanks bru! I really appreciate all the feedback and love in this forum from u guys!
The current standings are as shown below:

View attachment 166660

Nice! Would love to see that project! We need to keep up our hands for all the awesome bikes from a couple of years ago. I am past the point were the newest and most expensive has to be the best. Hence the Sunday. I am extremely curious how it will handle and behave on real tracks. :D
where are the graphics from ?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Man I really love some of these resto mod builds coming up here and there. This was a great bike and w/ the right adjustments it might not put it into modern standards but it has very good lines and should always be appreciated.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Man I really love some of these resto mod builds coming up here and there. This was a great bike and w/ the right adjustments it might not put it into modern standards but it has very good lines and should always be appreciated.
Love that this thread is almost 20 years old. Haven't ridden it in years, but I have my Sunday frame hanging in my basement. Even if I'm faster on more modern bikes (which is debatable, but probably true) I don't expect to have a love affair with another bike quite like I did with that one. Will probably be my favorite bike, forever.

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Hey guys, does anyone have a vector image of the graphics kits that Slikgraphics used to do? I've reached out to them but not heard back.

Also, don't suppose anyone has the drawings of the -3* angle cups that were spoken about on here? Sounds like one guy got them made and shared the drawings out with some others to get them made up with local machinists.

DrSouce169

Chimp
Jan 8, 2009
Boxford MA
I finally managed to find a pair of upper links after like 10 years and I want to rebuild my Sunday.

is the RC4 still the best option? Anyone ridden with a vivid r2c? Who I still tuning shocks for the Sunday?

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
I finally managed to find a pair of upper links after like 10 years and I want to rebuild my Sunday.

is the RC4 still the best option? Anyone ridden with a vivid r2c? Who I still tuning shocks for the Sunday?
I'm in the same boat as you - picked up a 2009 world cup model a couple of months ago and I'm going to fully restore it - will be my 3rd sunday! Really stoked on it. Going to try and replicate the black/green bike from Earthed 5 but with modern drivetrain and brakes.

Don't know where you're based but I'm going to get my 2009 boxxer wc (32mm) and vivid R2C serviced by JTech in the UK - I've spoken with him and he can tune the vivids for the sunday and has done quite a few back in the day.

If you're looking for someone to do frame decal kits, NLDesigns made some awesome ones for me - very patient with all the back and forth finalising the design. https://nldesigns.eu

I know this thread is mostly dormant but will put some photos up of the whole process once it's been done!

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Anyone previously encountered the bolts/bearing caps on one side of their DW link rear axle / main pivot axle being stuck onto the axles themselves?

On each of my axles I can only get one side off and the other side seems pretty stuck on - would ideally like to remove so I can anodise the bearing cap and replace the 4mm bolt with a T30 countersunk bolt like I've done across the rest of the bike

unnamed.jpg

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
View attachment 201709

latest Ebay score. Iso Diablo Freeride Park WTB Devo saddle. Does anyone here have a dusty old shock for me? Just going to try and not get kicked out of the parks again.
I have an old Vivid 5.1 if you want it. Pretty sure it's not the tune for a Sunday, but it should fit as long as you have the '08+ lower link. 9.5 x 3 with a 350lb spring. Picked it up as a spare for my old Sunday but never got around to using it.

Last edited:

Cubo55

Chimp
Dec 14, 2023
Hey guys i plant to keep this thread alive forever!!

Rebuilding my ironhorse collection! Pretty much all of them are becoming art to hang on the wall except i plant to keep riding 1 of my sundays and my 7 point.

I took like a 10 year hiatus from biking (i have no idea why) but im back now trying to relive it.

Anyways out of all my rear shocks what do you guys recommend i use? I have the following that need to be rebuilt;
-Fox DHX3
-Fox DHX5
-Rockshox Vivid 5.1
-Marzocchi ROCO

Can't remember out of these are worth using anymore

Also ill post some pics of the rebuilds!

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers

Rebuilding my ironhorse collection! Pretty much all of them are becoming art to hang on the wall except i plant to keep riding 1 of my sundays and my 7 point.

I took like a 10 year hiatus from biking (i have no idea why) but im back now trying to relive it.

Anyways out of all my rear shocks what do you guys recommend i use? I have the following that need to be rebuilt;
-Fox DHX3
-Fox DHX5
-Rockshox Vivid 5.1
-Marzocchi ROCO

That DHX5 likely will be rebuilt best. IIRC those were staple shocks, moreso due to them being easy to open and tune.

Personally, I'd maintained the stuffed version of the 6POINT with RS parts and settled into the Vivid R2C Coil - no tuning. Worked flawlessly with those teeny wheels. If you're in the US, look into Avalanche tuning here in CT. At one point the business was setting up shop in the UK, but was around the time of CoffeeBoi19.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

-Fox DHX3
-Fox DHX5
-Rockshox Vivid 5.1
-Marzocchi ROCO

Oh those choices, I'd probably do a DHX5 or Roco. The DHX5 has the boost valve adjuster and should play well with the end stroke regression. I've been experimenting with a Roco on my BMC (which is very very similar to the Sunday kinematically) and have been surprised by its performance. I've minimized IFP depth and maximized pressure and the shock seems to have a decent amount of progression...it feels a bit like the small shaft RC4 to me in that you can adjust the progression ever so slightly. It is less adjustable, but tuned correctly I'm confident it would feel great.

Dec 31, 2023
This thread is an awesome source of information for these weapons!
I have recently got my own after always wanting one when I raced 10 years ago.
Took me forever to find one in the 19", this one popped up on Facebook for stupidly cheap and I snagged it straight away.
It needed some proper loving, have done a full rebuild with new bearings.
Total cost including new bearings is under $500AUD!
Had to do the grub screw mod to the DW link to stop play in the bottom linkage.

Still a bucket load of fun to ride, and fast!
On the lookout for a 27.5" front wheel to try out, but am in no hurry.

View attachment 136056
Love bike I want to buy your bike!