Quantcast

The old fat dude goes solo (long post)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
As I was sitting at work Friday bored as usual, I looked at the forecast for the weekend. Looked like it would be a bit warm. It occurred to me that there was a 6 hour MTB race a couple hours away, so I checked the forecast for there too. Well lo and behold, 78 degrees and sunny.

I had done this race a few times on 2-person teams, and I've gone to these trails to ride a few times, so I knew the course well. Pre-riding would not be necessary. I checked some local forums and the word was the trails were in the best shape in years, with even the normally wet spots dry as a bone.

Then something snapped in my brain and I decided to do the race solo. What the hell, I'm in better shape this year than ever before, and by pure dumb luck I was pretty well prepared and rested for this. Since Dalton I had done several LONG road rides with a few trail rides in there for good measure. The last few days I had been basically resting except for one easy trailride with a girl and husband-and-wife.

My goals were pretty simple. Ride the whole time, and finish 5 laps of the 9.7 mile course which has 1100 feet of climbing per lap. I consulted with Westy on how to get my stomach to cooperate which was my main concern. The course basically starts with a couple miles of fireroad climb right after the transition area, so solid food was not an option, at least for me. The King Monkey informed my that I "should" be able to make it on gels, although I would probably need to eat something else at some point.

I visited the shop to pick up some supplies, and T-blazer informed me that the speester himself, greasey monkey, would also be doing the race. So I called him and we decided to carpool the 2 hour (each way) drive. T-blazer was also kind enough to once again supply us with the beautiful Kona EZ-Up tent.

We headed out at about 6am and got to the race site shortly after 8. Set up our pit area and got registered, and proceeded to wait :D We did a quick recon of the fireroad climb just to get the legs warmed up. The weather was perfect and I felt great.

The race started with one of those damn LeMans things. Damn I hate running. I ride a bike BECAUSE I don't like running :D But I did it and got on my bike about mid-pack. The first lap was spend either passing people or riding in single file on singletrack. It went well though, I was just going with the pace knowing I had a long way to go. Most of the first lap I was shadowing a dude on a singlespeed, which helped me keep my pace up on the climbs. Completed the lap in 1:04, a little faster than I planned but oh well.

Second lap I stopped in the pits, lubed the chain, checked the bike over, ate a gel, refilled my water bottle, took some endurolytes and some Advil, threw a couple gels in my jersey pockets, and headed back out. This would be the pattern for the race which seemed to work well. I still felt strong the second lap and the course was a lot less crowded which was nice. I didn't check the clock after that lap but I'm guessing it was about the same as the first.

Third lap, I did the pit routine and got going again. Still felt good, and was starting to think 6 laps was a possibility. I was cruising along when towards the end of the lap in a rockgarden I heard the dreaded PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Went through the sidewall on YET ANOTHER Michelin UST tire. At this time I would like to extend a big "FU!" to Michelin for their sucky UST tires. Good traction doesn't mean crap if the tire comes apart all the time. I've been through 4 Michelin UST tires this season, all sidewall failures. Anyway, it was pretty much all downhill from that point, so I finished out the lap at a crawl, trying not to destroy the rim. That cost me some time and I crossed the line at 3:30 race time.

Into the pits, where thankfully I had brought a spare wheel and Kenda Nevegal UST tire (although the wheel was a front). I removed the tire without losing the Stan's, mounted it up on the back rim, said a quick prayer that my CO2 cartridge would seat the bead, and let fly. WHEW! It worked. Life was good. Only lost a total of about 20 minutes on the whole ordeal. Did my pit routine and headed back out.

Lap 4, I started getting a little tired. Put down and extra gel and dropped the pace a bit which helped. Finished the lap without incident, although I had to pedal through some slight cramps towards the end. Did the pit routine and headed out for lap 5. I knew I wasn't going to make it in time for a 6th at this point, so I just rode that one out at an easy pace trying not to make any mistakes in the tech sections. Finished at 6:21 race time with a big smile :)

All in all, it was a great time. I accomplished my goal of 5 laps and didn't wreck or bonk. Without the flat, I think I could have done 6 laps, but man that 6th would have been painful. Next year :devil:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good Jorb :thumb:

The 6 hour race is the first symptom of The Disease. You will soon be describing a 2.5 hour ride as a short one.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yup it was the 6 Hours of Power in Ellicottville.

Doug, I was definitely spent after the race, I don't know how to put it in terms of "how tired I was" though. I was beat.

A couple other notes:

1) It was greasey monkey's birthday. He did 6 laps. Happy birthday dude :)

2) My butt was getting sore in the second lap, but by the 3rd lap it didn't hurt anymore :confused:

3) The woman who won the female solo class was a pro from Independent Fabrication. She did 7 laps and almost made 8. ON A SINGLESPEED. The bar for female riders has been raised.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Echo said:
2) My butt was getting sore in the second lap, but by the 3rd lap it didn't hurt anymore :confused:
That's because there was still living tissue lingering within it for the second lap; by the third, the necrosis had spread too extensively to reverse. ;)

Regarding the wimpy Michelin sidewalls, I just use 'em with tubes. Yeah, it negates the weight savings and it's probably just a mental thing, but I like running tubes in UST tires as a preventative "just in case". Your experience with Michelin parallels mine with Maxxis, BTW. :thumb: on the solo effort.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
What is it about Indy Fab riders??? They are all just so friggin fast!!!
I'm telling you, I think it's an IF rule. If you want to buy one of their bikes, you have to be lightning fast. I have yet to see someone riding an IF that can't totally kick my ass (but that ain't saying much).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
I'm telling you, I think it's an IF rule. If you want to buy one of their bikes, you have to be lightning fast. I have yet to see someone riding an IF that can't totally kick my ass (but that ain't saying much).
At Dalton I got my ass totally smoked by a skinny dude on an IF hardtail going about Mach 1 down that tecnhincal shiz! Dude was scary fast!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Nice job, Echo. Good race report. Congrats on finishing it. And solo no less. You still have the gears on there, or did you do it SS?

I wish there were more 6 and 12 hour events around. I guess it's only a matter of time.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
ghostrider said:
Dude, that is awesome! So what's next? 100 miler or 12 hours solo? My goal is one or the other next year. I suppose I'd better start riding again.
He's gonna do a 12 hour solo with me next year (no bailing for either of us this time...I even have a crew & babysitter lined up)! :sneaky:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Dude, that is awesome! So what's next? 100 miler or 12 hours solo? My goal is one or the other next year. I suppose I'd better start riding again.
I plan to do a road century this year. I'm fairly certain I can do that, because I've done quite a few 70 milers solo already and riding with a group is easier.

One of my reasons for doing this was to gauge if I could do a 12 or 24 hour solo, and I was also thinking about the Wilderness 101 MTB race. I decided that I am not ready for 12 solo and I doubt I would finish the Wilderness 101. But I have an idea of what I need to do to prepare :thumb:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Echo said:
I plan to do a road century this year. I'm fairly certain I can do that, because I've done quite a few 70 milers solo already and riding with a group is easier.

One of my reasons for doing this was to gauge if I could do a 12 or 24 hour solo, and I was also thinking about the Wilderness 101 MTB race. I decided that I am not ready for 12 solo and I doubt I would finish the Wilderness 101. But I have an idea of what I need to do to prepare :thumb:
You could hit up the Wild 100 in WVa. It's a bit of a drive for you I'm sure, but it's a 100K race. It's also group oriented, but everyone has to do the whole thing. It's supposed to simulate a backcountry group ride. You race from checkpoint to checkpoint, but can get there by any route you feel is best for you, ie, road, smooth trail, singletrack, rough stuff, etc,.. They give you the locations of the checkpoints and you / your group just goes from one to the next. I'm still toying with the idea of doing it, but it's a week before the SS worlds, and I may need my strength. Check it out at www.ertc.com

Let me know if you're up for it. My buds down here seem to get flaky a week or so before any so called event.

The other big 100 miler is the Shenendoah 100, for which I'm in if I can get registered. It's over Labor day weekend, so you have time to drive back up north.