Quantcast

The Omelette Thread

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
So, over the last couple months I’ve been working on my omelettes. I’ve made great progress towards omelette perfection but there is always room for improvement.

What are your tips and tricks? What ingredients do you like and use? Post up your recipes and anything else omelette related.

This morning’s breakfast:

Two eggs, three cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, touch of colby) with maple chicken sausage.

B075148D-8B23-44AF-9F89-305016EBA79C.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Will absolutely try.
don't go overboard or the eggs won't set right when you cook them. for my omelettes I use 3 eggs and a healthy spoonful of ricotta, and cook it in a 9" skillet. it's about the perfect size. I've found 2 eggs in that size skillet just isn't enough.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Never have but that was a pretty interesting read. Once I get a little better at this I’ll give it a try!

There’s a few ideas in there that I think you could incorporate into a “regular” omelette as well.
Yeah it's pretty amazing how you can nerd out on pretty much anything, even something as simple as an omelette. That website is a great source for all sorts of stuff like that. I rarely follow recipes very closely but you can definitely pick up some good tips and tricks.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
restaurant tip. Use a skillet that can go in broiler. On the burner skin up the egg bottom, remove from burner and place the skillet in the broiler to skin up the top of the egg Add your ingredients and put back under the broiler until the cheese melts, remove and slide it onto the plate and fold as you go. Egg fluffs, everything inside is hot and no tearing or screwing up the egg trying to flip it

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
restaurant tip. Use a skillet that can go in broiler. On the burner skin up the egg bottom, remove from burner and place the skillet in the broiler to skin up the top of the egg Add your ingredients and put back under the broiler until the cheese melts, remove and slide it onto the plate and fold as you go. Egg fluffs, everything inside is hot and no tearing or screwing up the egg trying to flip it
So my secret has been exposed. You all probably don't have ovens that have proper broilers.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
don't go overboard or the eggs won't set right when you cook them. for my omelettes I use 3 eggs and a healthy spoonful of ricotta, and cook it in a 9" skillet. it's about the perfect size. I've found 2 eggs in that size skillet just isn't enough.
So whisked this like crazy this morning and still couldn’t get it to mix in. Is there a secret? I was using a fork. Do I need to actually use one whisker things?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Looks good to me! Some people prefer it but I try not to brown mine though.

Since you're working on 'em, ever try a classic French rolled omelette? https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-french-omelette-recipe
I’m just like you OG,no Brown please. Of Course that it why it is a French omelette. I‘ll murder any Food you put in front of me and say, Thank You.

Thank’s for Link. I have been doing that for years,most Folk I know don’t like it though as they say it is not cooked enough. I put in mushrooms,cheese etc when it is at the halfway flip. Herbs I put in on the scramble like Mr.Pepin did. I still don’t have the Picture Perfect omelette. My Dam Non Stick pan(cheap like he told me)is shallow and too wide. I’m goin get a good one,I deserve it and have put my time in.

I can not tell you how many times I cook this for the Wife? 1 slice of cheese and 2 pieces of toast cut on a Angle of course.

Avy