Quantcast

The One That Got Away (thank God)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Karpiels, specializedeses, and yes turners

Stop dancing around. M1s broke. Frequently.
That I am not denying. So did most others. Where I grew up M1s were rare, so not that big of a sample size (6-8 maybe). I witnessed one broken shock bolt on the link (6 mm was not a good idea). But everything was cracking at the time, Giants, GT, Speci Big Hit. Exception was Nicolai.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I honestly was not a DHer who broke a ton of stuff even back in the day, and I went through 3 chain stays on an M1
in like 6 months. Ironically, none of them broke, they just all bent from normal riding, then the rear wheel would not sit straight in the frame. American cheese.

And the bike I wanted but did not get was the Schwinn Straight 6 / Yeti with that horrendous Rockshox pull shock.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And the bike I wanted but did not get was the Schwinn Straight 6 / Yeti with that horrendous Rockshox pull shock.
God yes. All the Lawwills.

I kinda wanted a Rotec, too. The original Lawwill was a concentric BB pivot or something something right?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sun ringle Doublewides. Actually, I had one on a Hanebrink fork, but sold it quickly enough not to damage it.

That's one of the few I regret selling. Great bike, and the shock worked well compared to literally anything else that RS made at the time.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What's all this about SoCal being flat? Lemme have a lookout my office window, yep, mountains in every direction except West because that's the ocean.

For me it's every inverted fork ever made. I wanted them all, have never owned one and honestly, that's probably a good thing. I still want an OG Shiver with the red anno drop-outs though

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What's all this about SoCal being flat? Lemme have a lookout my office window, yep, mountains in every direction except West because that's the ocean.

For me it's every inverted fork ever made. I wanted them all, have never owned one and honestly, that's probably a good thing. I still want an OG Shiver with the red anno drop-outs though
BMXman convinced me the Shiver SC was a good idea. Thanks brah.

I did get a Dorado SC and it was really nice, but for the same-ish weight with more travel and lower AC, the Slider dual crown was its replacement.

The OG TPC+ Dorado was a hell of a fork IMHO.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, yea, racelinks were small. i had a few friends with them. they rode relatively well by comparison of what was on the market at the time. just small.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:rofl: at anyone saying ellesworth. i had a buddy in college that broke 3 dares in a row.
I'll admit to having an interest in one for a short time because it was the only 7" travel bike in existence that you could put a derailleur on and climb. Then I saw one in person and realized my dirtjumper was built more stout. And called the company and uh......yeah, no more interest.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
First new mountain bike was in 1995, full rigid Rock Hopper. Kicked out 2 sets of forks from urban riding and the Ground Control came out the next year. Was convinced this was all that I'd ever need... somehow.

After that the only other bike I figured I must have was the Intense 951, quickly woke from that daydream after seeing headtubes kicked out from just riding.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I forget what it was called, but when I was a teenager there was a full suspension Oryx that I wanted. Anyone remember that brand?

Instead, I got a Kona Poehoehoe and flogged it. Paid for it with a bunch of cash that I found under the carpet in my bedroom closet. No joke. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I forget what it was called, but when I was a teenager there was a full suspension Oryx that I wanted. Anyone remember that brand?

Instead, I got a Kona Poehoehoe and flogged it. Paid for it with a bunch of cash that I found under the carpet in my bedroom closet. No joke. :rofl:
My first decent bike was purchased after getting the cash advance from my new job's travel expense account, then prayed they waited a month or two before sending me on the road.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I never bought an Intense because I couldn't afford the matching gloves, myself, much less the TLD custom lid.
That was my main problem, being poor helped shield me from buying shit that was not any better and in many cases worse. So many "privateer" type companies that had a good hook or gimmick, but in terms of delivering the full picture...that sh*t ain't easy and few did it really really well.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
More specific than the M1, the Specialized S-works FSR-DH. I had a crush on that bike. If I had the cash, I would have bought it...and it would have broke like all the others.

1643738863248.png

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Hmmm so many bikes on this list for me after 30+ years of MTB.
Pace RC200, wanted one so bad & then a decade later got to try one of the Pace bikes for a bike review in NZ Mountain bike mag.
God it was horrible! the square tubing with external machine butting looked rad but the handling was terrible!
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 7.29.41 AM.png

Then there was the brief love affair with the Cannondale Killer V 900
Damn near brought one but in the nick of time I got a bunch of extra cash and brought a 1st gen GT LTS Team within a month of their launch...... Loved this bike!
Killer V's seem to go for good money restored tho

There's a few GT's I'm glad I held back on, the GT LTS Thermoplastic (STS?) and the GT Lobo's for starters.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
TR250, thought it'd be a step up in the chronically underbiked category from my Bottlerocket.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I actually really liked every Chumbawumba DH bike I rode...both of them...for 30 seconds. One was Shaums', though, which was cool.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also since we're discussing history, a pre-history question.

When I was in high school, early 90s, and my brother was in college, he had a Schwinn High Plains Aluminum. (EXOTIC!)

1643744031163.png

Edit: He even had one of those offroad triathalon style bars, Scott I think? yeah, these:

1643743681749.png

But he had a catalogue of another company's laying around the house...Iron Horse. And I remember reading their blurb and knowing nothing of mountain biking, buying it all, hook line and sinker.

They advocated for rigid bikes only, with friction-shift only rather than unreliable suspensions and indexed shifters that had all kinds of terrible effects, both physical and spiritual. I even remember them saying that bikes and riding attire should be in harmonious colors with the natural environment, and jerseys definitely not made of synthetics.

Does ANYONE else remember Iron Horse being crusty curmudgeons before the brand became a DW-embracing, Sunday-slinging, long-travel extravaganza? (another ed: Wikipedia says they were 1987-2009; doesn't look like a break in ownership, just evolving philosophy.)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They advocated for rigid bikes only, with friction-shift only rather than unreliable suspensions and indexed shifters that had all kinds of terrible effects, both physical and spiritual.
to be fair, at that time they were right because suspension of that era was simply awful.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
to be fair, at that time they were right because suspension of that era was simply awful.
Yeah, wouldn't argue that at all...just that no one else I have ever talked to remembers Iron Horse being that kind of company.

I mean it might not have even been the same people, just a brand name purchased by others, or new ownership or whatever...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does ANYONE else remember Iron Horse being crusty curmudgeons before the brand became a DW-embracing, Sunday-slinging, long-travel extravaganza? (another ed: Wikipedia says they were 1987-2009; doesn't look like a break in ownership, just evolving philosophy.)

No, my first glimpse was their purple and silver canti beam suspension thing, then the rebadged foes THS-1

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:rofl: at anyone saying ellesworth. i had a buddy in college that broke 3 dares in a row.
Man, I was living in Vancouver WA at/near the height of Elsworth mountain bike community lust and they were just down the street at the time. I wanted one in the worst way, but was a newly married, freshly minted aircraft mechanic. Barely had money to buy beer, let alone some space age full squish bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there was an era in between then, when madcatz was racing for IH in the pre-DW days with a stacked team of hill, rennie, graves, and atkinson on the SGS