Quantcast

The One That Got Away (thank God)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
there was an era in between then, when madcatz was racing for IH in the pre-DW days with a stacked team of hill, rennie, graves, and atkinson on the SGS
There was an era before the DW SGS where they were making a short-coupled SGS FSR bike. It always looked way way too short and steep. I think it came in the "american flag" livery.
1643750229735.png

1643750278037.png

The DW SGS was longer AFAIK, but had pathetically under-sized chainstays. Guy broke it shortly after I sold it to them. Felt kind of bad for that, since it seemed to be in perfect condition. They eventually put out a beefier chainstay version, but the first was pretty pathetic.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
waaaay back in the day I wanted a Klein Mantra, mostly because cool paint. I had no idea ....
Tinker Juarez is a hot, sweaty man-beast, too. Or at least he was in that era of rainbow Kleins with their cool matched-paint stems for the 1.5" forks.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i want the gt ricochet 20 inch trials bike back that my younger brother lent out to a rei coworker sbout 20 years ago back...

there was a ti 29er eastern woods research frame on pinkbike awhile back that the seller would not ship to the states...

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Yeah, wouldn't argue that at all...just that no one else I have ever talked to remembers Iron Horse being that kind of company.

I mean it might not have even been the same people, just a brand name purchased by others, or new ownership or whatever...
Actually I do remember hearing that early on. Had figured Iron Horse would be making a name for themselves, instead watched for BMX brands making the scene instead; Haro, GT, Schwinn, Diamond Back. Aside from Mike King, an awful smooth BMX Pro working with Shimano during his Haro mountain bike period it seems GT is the only bike maker having had BMX x-over.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah, wouldn't argue that at all...just that no one else I have ever talked to remembers Iron Horse being that kind of company.

I mean it might not have even been the same people, just a brand name purchased by others, or new ownership or whatever...
I owned an IH free ride bike at one point. I dressed it up but really wasn’t great. It always felt like a Performance/Super Go house brand with some bells and whistles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of the monkeys sold it to be. Don't remember his user name, but I think that I recall that he worked for Stan's at the time.

2001 Aeon Joker, S/N 9760098WV7, purchased from Mike Bush for $700-, arrived 2002-04-10.
Well I'll be damned, referenced the forgotten dude in your o-ring thread.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I wanted the trek carbon y bike so bad. Then one day me and my dad walked into the bike shop and they had like a hundred of the aluminum y bikes that were a couple year old models and selling cheap, so he bought me one. I rode that thing up until the shock gave out in 07 I think. I thought it was great but it was crap. I also really wanted a gt rts, I thought they looked great.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wanted the trek carbon y bike so bad. Then one day me and my dad walked into the bike shop and they had like a hundred of the aluminum y bikes that were a couple year old models and selling cheap, so he bought me one. I rode that thing up until the shock gave out in 07 I think. I thought it was great but it was crap. I also really wanted a gt rts, I thought they looked great.

Bikes are fun, even the crappy ones.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Does ANYONE else remember Iron Horse being crusty curmudgeons before the brand became a DW-embracing, Sunday-slinging, long-travel extravaganza? (another ed: Wikipedia says they were 1987-2009; doesn't look like a break in ownership, just evolving philosophy.)
I definitely remember how creepy they got AFTER dw got involved. Telling zedro they had a job for him just to get him to shut up on ridemonkey about iron horse.....then never returning emails. DW telling me the only rear end ever broken was rennie's when I literally saw a guy at the Iron Horse booth the previous weekend at mammoth with a chainstay hanging off his bike in two pieces. Completely using RM as nothing more than a marketing tool.........

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I had a '95 Y22 that I bought used in 1996. The shock (Fox Alps) was horrific, but the fork was even worse.

I put a Cane Creek and a Marzocchi on it, which was an improvement. I eventually drove it into the garage door and insurance bought me a new bike. :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah that's what I said.

serious question: how many of your kids are named steber?

I'll trade you a vintage something in southern california that I'll steal this week for the mootz!
Nah, not a fan of Steber as a person. He is too much Cali surfer boy. Just the bikes are cool.

You have to offer something really special for the YBB. It is rare, because air shock.

What you really want is this:

Too bad they never made a full disc version.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nah, not a fan of Steber as a person. He is too much Cali surfer boy. Just the bikes are cool.

You have to offer something really special for the YBB. It is rare, because air shock.

What you really want is this:

Too bad they never made a full disc version.
That's the elastomer one? If so, yeah, that's the one I'm kinda sorta but not really but still would looking for.

headshock: nice touch

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Back when I first got into MtB the original Stumpjumper (front sus only, Manitou IIRC) was beautiful to me. I had a Marin Bear Valley SE and went onto to get an Orange Clockwork, which was also a really pretty, well proportioned frame.
Over the years I have become increasingly less impressed by the big S, perhaps peaking when the the SWorks Levo came out at NZ$25,000. I do kinda like the new new Status, but mostly they are overpriced meh IMO.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I had a '95 Y22 that I bought used in 1996. The shock (Fox Alps) was horrific, but the fork was even worse.

I put a Cane Creek and a Marzocchi on it, which was an improvement. I eventually drove it into the garage door and insurance bought me a new bike. :D

lucky! I had to ride around on a trek 9200. Which I thought was sweet. Rear swing arm moved like a happy dogs tail. Shock extended and locked on every pedal stroke. Everyone laughed at me for having a heavy full suspension bike. But the purple anno was rad.