Quantcast

The One That Got Away (thank God)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Santa Cruz online bike configuration tool wasted a lot of time for me around 1999.

Rented a Heckler while in Colorado away from my Trek 6000 (with sun rhyno lites and riser bars...occasionally bar ends...) and thought it was the BEST THING EVER.

Used to want the orange-ano Superlight. And/or the Heckler in bare ball-burnished AL front triangle with the swingarm in safety orange. Considered Bullit with the same.

And I've still never owned an orange bike. (Wait, no! I had an OG Surly Instigator in orange powder, as they all were, and put a Marzo Jr T up front. Ovalized the headtube.)

Superlight was my first FS bike. That rear end flexed all over the place, the shock was a key structural member for lateral rigidity. Wore out a set of bushing about once a month and a shock body every 18 months or so. But it was a fun bike and a hell of a lot better than a lot of the other junk that was floating around at the time.

Superlight was my first FS bike. That rear end flexed all over the place, the shock was a key structural member for lateral rigidity. Wore out a set of bushing about once a month and a shock body every 18 months or so. But it was a fun bike and a hell of a lot better than a lot of the other junk that was floating around at the time.
Every early shock that I owned wore out bushings with great enthusiasm.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The M1 is still one of the best bikes I ever rode, I ended up getting another one in 2003. I switched from a Shiver to a Boxxer in 2003 and that made a big difference in the ride of the bike.
I had zero gripes with the way they rode. Rear end flexed a little but light and better kinematics than most. The moto guys knew leverage ratios back then. The santa cruz guys, not so much. Nobody I knew didn't have one fail tho.

Funny to think how big shivers looked. And then realize pinner little boxxers were stiffer :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My Heckler and Straight 6 never got away because I couldn’t sell them in good conscience, so I still have them haha

@kidwoo My buddy in Durango way back had a real nice Armageddon in low and slack mode with 9 inches out back and that thing was so much better than my Straight 6 or Foes DHS Mono pre curnutt 2:1. His bike was so progressive and plush. We rode in Telluride a bunch together back then.
yeah it cracks me up how everyone thinks those bikes were trash just because bender turned them into trash when he built them up

Those things were legit good. One of the best in terms of stiffness and ride quality. You look at a santa cruz v10 current model and it pretty much matches the leverage curve of those karpiels 20 years ago.

The last gen discos used a better leverage ratio (even in the short mode the armageddons were still a little overleveraged just because you could only get 3" stroke shocks back then) and so ended up working a little better.

Before he lost it, it was kinda fun having that guy close by. Defnitely a tinkerer and we had all kinds of other links floating around. You could change those bikes into anything from a 4" travel 4x bike to a 8" smash machine. Straight leverage curves matter. Credit to early specialized too for all the same reasons....

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The one that DIDNT get away and I regret.
Early 2000s, I was in my earlly 20s and had little idea about cars but I figured myself something of a Chip Foose/Xzibit.
Saw a purple 1972 challenger in bad condition. It appeared to have been restored a few year prior, but the paint was faded and a few rust spots. Complete interior tho.
I said to myself...it doesnt look that bad.. some panels paint and it will be sweet.

Bought it and took it to a shop to have it dissambled and sand blasted to see what needed to be replaced.
Sanding place called "please come asap, we cant continue". Car was so much rust and bondo, that it would have probably dissapeared if sand blasted.
Tried to put it back together, and sold for half what I paid. Car ended up being chopped for parts/interior.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Anyone ever ride a Christini AWD bike? Was always curious to see if those lived up to the hype back in the late 90s; amazingly, they are still around today.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyone ever ride a Christini AWD bike? Was always curious to see if those lived up to the hype back in the late 90s; amazingly, they are still around today.
the fact that the technology completely took over mountainbiking with multiple patent licenses across manufacturers, and the fact that literally all mountainbikes are now AWD should tell you the answer to your question

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the fact that the technology completely took over mountainbiking with multiple patent licenses across manufacturers, and the fact that literally all mountainbikes are now AWD should tell you the answer to your question
They make an ebike with that complicated driveshaft instead of putting a motor on the front wheel.

200w.gif

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I actually rode one, maybe at Sea Otter or Interbike or something. I think the thing is...they do kind of work. It's just that they don't help you do anything that's actually worthwhile doing on a bicycle.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Honestly sorta surprised the fatbike kids haven't taken up the Christini AWD cause. Rode one a million years ago and it was very interesting, but unless you plan on riding loose sand or snow for a whole ride kinda worthless. That's where fatbikes come in...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Honestly sorta surprised the fatbike kids haven't taken up the Christini AWD cause. Rode one a million years ago and it was very interesting, but unless you plan on riding loose sand or snow for a whole ride kinda worthless. That's where fatbikes come in...

E-Fat-AWD

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I actually rode one, maybe at Sea Otter or Interbike or something. I think the thing is...they do kind of work. It's just that they don't help you do anything that's actually worthwhile doing on a bicycle.
I mean it's not like there's some other similar sport they could look to that also uses the rear wheel exclusively for drive, and determine a likely feasibility based on the adoption in that sport

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I had zero gripes with the way they rode. Rear end flexed a little but light and better kinematics than most. The moto guys knew leverage ratios back then. The santa cruz guys, not so much. Nobody I knew didn't have one fail tho.
Intense cycles HQ:

Random employee: Jeff, our frames are cracking.
Jeff: We could strengthen them....or....let me think....call them "for one race only".
RE: Do you think this is a smart idea?
Jeff: you are right, let us take the "one" out. For Racing Only (FRO) it is. Nobody needs too much honesty anyway.
RE: Great, I get the marketing campaign on the way.
Jeff: While we are at it, let us offer unpainted "works" frames...at the same price as painted ones.
RE: You are a genius, Jeff!

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Intense cycles HQ:

Random employee: Jeff, our frames are cracking.
Jeff: We could strengthen them....or....let me think....call them "for one race only".
RE: Do you think this is a smart idea?
Jeff: you are right, let us take the "one" out. For Racing Only (FRO) it is. Nobody needs too much honesty anyway.
RE: Great, I get the marekting campaign on the way.
Jeff: While we are at it, let us offer unpainted "works" frames...at the same price as painted ones.
RE: You are a genius, Jeff!

See? You know what's up.

But when I say that shit it's all kIdWoO tHiNkS oNLy iNtEnSe fRaMeS bReAk!!!

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wanted a Rotec RL9 something fierce. Not sure if it rode OK or not, but thought it looked cool and Sully seemed like a good dude. I was even tempted to get one of their 4X frames several years ago, but didn't really have a use for it. They somehow still have a (janky) website and updated frames, but its unclear if said frames actually exist.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't know if that was the brand, but in '92 I won an AWD bike (my first mountain bike) from 91x. It was cheap as shit. Cool idea, but the loud pop when the shaft was unwinding if you had the front or back brake on only. I moved to Portland and bought my first "proper" mountain bike, a Proflex 855. :rofl:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seriously, the part where they named most of their bikes after guns should probably have been a tip-off to their general maturity and depth of thought.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Seriously, the part where they named most of their bikes after guns should probably have been a tip-off to their general maturity and depth of thought.
You mean when the whole industry was about military grade this, stealth that, aircraft approved, space,.... to sound cool?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You mean when the whole industry was about military grade this, stealth that, aircraft approved, space,.... to sound cool?
IMO there is quite a difference between bragging about your materials engineering vs. pretending your frame is equivalent to a machine for killing people.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
IMO there is quite a difference between bragging about your materials engineering vs. pretending your frame is equivalent to a machine for killing people.
I think you are reading too much into this. There are a bunch of names that are bad. In Germany all the abbreviations for singlespeed or slopestyle are not received well. RM Slayer, all the Cove bike names, etc.. Many consider the naming of bikes and marketing of GG imature too.
People these days like to be offended by something. I am so over it.