Quantcast

the origin of jimmies as a name for chocolate sprinkles? New England Monkies?

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
so i was at a party on Saturday night, shooting the bull, and a very annoying girl proposed the topic, "is "jimmies" really a racist term?
for those of you outside of Mass., in this state people use the word "jimmies" instead of "chocolate sprinkles" at ice cream shops. when i first moved to Taxachusetts, i used the term because it said it on the menu, but stopped doing so when i was told by numerous people that it is a racist term.
so at the party, we found many people who also knew this to be a racist term, or at least have it's roots in racism, but no one could tell us why.
so i put the question to the same source that told me my disc rotor was on backwards, the monkey.

any ideas?

ben.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Why are you always such a jackass?????

Since your too lazy to look it up on your own, here is a link to an article.

Boston Globe Article
why would you feel the need to post a response when you had absoloutely nothing of any value at all to post in the first place? give me some examples of me "being a jackass", and maybe we can compare our personal feelings about each other.

it seems to me that the majority of your posts are pointless bullsh!t about how it's so great being a gunrack-outfitted pickup truck driving, probably trailer park living NRA card carrying malcontent bitching about how the country is going to hell in a handbasket. so stay the hell out of my posts.

plus, the article you posted didn't answer my question at all. also, i was looking for personal insight.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I think that article gives the best suggestion for the jimmies derivitive.

"Why are they called jimmies? Evan Morris, on his language Web site www.word-detective.com, suggests that the term is descended from jim-jams in its earliest (1550s) sense: knickknacks, trivia, small things. ( Jim-jams, and the diminutive jimmies, also developed the meanings "jitters" or "D.T.s," but that's surely a different branch of the family.)"

And Scofflaw, my suggestion for whenever you are in a party situation w/ womenfolk such as the aforementioned "very annoying girl," go about it the Jorvik way: "Weib! Erhalt mir ein Getränk! SCHNELL, SCHNELL, DU SCHLAMPFE!!!"

Then again, I have been slapped twice today...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by scofflaw23
why would you feel the need to post a response when you had absoloutely nothing of any value at all to post in the first place? give me some examples of me "being a jackass", and maybe we can compare our personal feelings about each other.

it seems to me that the majority of your posts are pointless bullsh!t about how it's so great being a gunrack-outfitted pickup truck driving, probably trailer park living NRA card carrying malcontent bitching about how the country is going to hell in a handbasket. so stay the hell out of my posts.

plus, the article you posted didn't answer my question at all. also, i was looking for personal insight.
less caffiene

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by Jorvik
I think that article gives the best suggestion for the jimmies derivitive.

"Why are they called jimmies? Evan Morris, on his language Web site www.word-detective.com, suggests that the term is descended from jim-jams in its earliest (1550s) sense: knickknacks, trivia, small things. ( Jim-jams, and the diminutive jimmies, also developed the meanings "jitters" or "D.T.s," but that's surely a different branch of the family.)"

And Scofflaw, my suggestion for whenever you are in a party situation w/ womenfolk such as the aforementioned "very annoying girl," go about it the Jorvik way: "Weib! Erhalt mir ein Getränk! SCHNELL, SCHNELL, DU SCHLAMPFE!!!"

Then again, I have been slapped twice today...
thanks for the insight Jorvik, is that really supposed to be 1550? 1950 maybe?
i still think it's crazy that it's been very difficult to find evidence of the truth or rumor behind the alleged racist origins of jimmies. i mean, Mass. has always been a pretty progressive state, it was one of the first to abolish slavery, but i still don't feel satisfied.

as for very annoying females, i definetly need to bone up on my German, it sounds like it would definetly be worth a slap or two.

ben.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
by the way, my roomate just informed me that they ask for "hundreds and thousands" when the want sprinkles in New Zealand!

ben.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

I don't think I need to say anything more, but I will.

Your personal insight is terrible. You have no idea whatsover who I am.

Put me on your ignore list if you don't want to read what I say.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
by the way, my roomate just informed me that they ask for "hundreds and thousands" when the want sprinkles in New Zealand!

ben.
No no no no no no, bloody Kiwis don't know what they are talking about as usual.:D Hundreds and thousands are tiny little balls of sugar, brightly coloured that serve the same purpose as "chocolate sprinkles" but aren't chocolate. Serious disinformation of this kind disseminated by residents of the "Shaky Isles" must be nipped in the bud straight away;) :D :p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I used to call them "shots." People didn't know what hell I was talking about. I call them "sprinkles" now. :)

BTW, I've lived in Connecticut my whole life, and I know what a jimmy is. People who are offended by the word "jimmy" need to relax, or at the very least, file a multi-million dollar lawsuit against GMC, makers of the "Jimmy."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

BTW, I've lived in Connecticut my whole life, and I know what a jimmy is.
Once I got kicked in the jimmy. Man, did that smart.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Sprinkles go on ice cream. The jimmy is where Elizabeth Williams kicked me when I copped a feel in 7th grade. Which leads me to the funniest part of the Boston Globe article

"Someone, someday, may prove that jimmies was a racist coinage-or that a guy named Jimmy served up the first sprinkles. But till that happens, linguistic fantasists should keep their mouths off our jimmies."

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by DRB

"linguistic fantasists should keep their mouths off our jimmies."
Heh, hehehehheheh. heh heh. I just found that way too funny.

:nuts:

On a side note, this new smilie is perhaps the best thing ever invented, except for canned tuna w/ mustard on top.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Jorvik

On a side note, this new smilie is perhaps the best thing ever invented, except for canned tuna w/ mustard on top.
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO ATE THAT!!!!!!!!! :D mmmmm now i'm craving for some.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Completely entirely unrelated -

scofflaw, just looked at your signature. PLEASE tell me you're not about to chop up BOTH a classic Pinarello AND a classic Raleigh. Oh dear god, the humanity.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
well, the raleigh may be a classic because of it's age, but it's just the frame from a crappy 10 speed. there's not going to be any cutting/welding involved, if that's what you're thinking. i'm just stripping and selling the parts off the pinarello, and using the frame as my bad weather bike because the raleigh was the victim of a traffic accident. but no chopping will be going on.

ben.