Quantcast

The Original Thanksgiving Day Ride

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Thanksgiving Day mountain bike rides are a tradition in a lot of places now, but they all started with this one, the Appetite Seminar in Fairfax, which just took place for the 33rd time.

You can expect close to a thousand riders to take on the tough 20-mile loop with 3500 feet of climbing. I decided to get an early start, so I left Fairfax with Gary Fisher and his girlfriend Sheila around 7:30. They both hammered me to the top of Pine Mountain. We stopped at the traditional location called Smoker's Knoll, where we were joined by Jacquie Phelan, with the ever present banjo. This is a "locals only" spot, and I knew everyone there.

Is Jacquie morphing into Michael Jackson?

Gary Fisher celebrates with a brew on top of Smoker's Knoll.

From Pine Mountain you take an ear-popping, brake smoking 1000 foot descent that is one of the best in Marin County, but then you are condemned to a tough climb out of the canyon. Here riders bunch up at the top of Pine Mountain before hitting the awesome descent.

I don't understand why so much high-tech equipment falls apart. I saw a bunch of flat tires and bike repairs going during the descent of Pine Mountain. On this corner there were three guys fixing bikes.

Saw a jersey like the one I had on, and it was Joe Breeze, so we stopped for a photo session. Here are the posers. Gary and girlfriend, me and Joe Breeze.

Every ride needs a guy like this. Josh the mechanic from the bike shop trailered in a full bar with coffee making equipment for hot toddies. Here's Gary lining up for a shot of courage before we continue on to Repack, about a mile away.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just watched Klunkerz the other night and would love to ride Repack. Looks like good times.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
awesome... gotta get out for this one next year. Who organizes it?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Awesome report!! I have done this ride many times and it is always a blast. I was out of town this year, but glad to see it looks like you had great conditions.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
SWEET! I just saw Klunkerz a couple weeks ago and thought that picture looked like Joe Breeze, then I read your write-up! Nice

Feb 18, 2007
What a blast! I would give my left you know what to ride a bike with Gary Fisher. The older pictures should give everyone an idea of how it was in the early years of Mountain Biking.
I think I'll skip the family stuff next year and join the masses on the ride!