Quantcast

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ok so what is wrong with "kids" today?

I interviewed this guy last week. A year out of school.....did not really interview all that well. But he was obviously nervous. And he's a local kid. People here sort of know him and said he was good.

After the interview, no call or email saying "Thank you for the interview" (as is tradition). I haven't heard squat from him.

Despite that, I sent him (by email) a job offer on Monday. Still haven't heard from him. I didn't call. I figured what 23 year-old isn't checking his hotmail on a fairly regular basis? Particularly, when you just had a job interview!

Are kids not taught to follow up on interviews anymore? (And yes, the job I offered him was way better than his current gig....despite having to work for me)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hotmail = doesn't actually *want* the job. If he were serious about it, he would've given you his gmail address instead.
:stupid:

He just went for the interview because a friend of his said "DUDE you have to interview at this place......Dave Matthews designs helicopters. You have to check it out"

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm guessing this job is one of his fall back plans and he either has something better he wants more or he's using this as leverage against his current employer.

As far as the thank you notes, I have *never* gotten one from any candidate I've interviewed. Damn ingrates. Then again, I don't exactly hire for executive level positions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Most people have a problem lying and it is kind of rude to send a "I ****ing hate you" email to a possible employer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so what is wrong with "kids" today?

I interviewed this guy last week. A year out of school.....did not really interview all that well. But he was obviously nervous. And he's a local kid. People here sort of know him and said he was good.

After the interview, no call or email saying "Thank you for the interview" (as is tradition). I haven't heard squat from him.

Despite that, I sent him (by email) a job offer on Monday. Still haven't heard from him. I didn't call. I figured what 23 year-old isn't checking his hotmail on a fairly regular basis? Particularly, when you just had a job interview!

Are kids not taught to follow up on interviews anymore? (And yes, the job I offered him was way better than his current gig....despite having to work for me)
#firstworldproblems

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That'd be like getting a girl's number in a bar, and only finding out later that there's only 6 digits to it...
One time at a bar some girl handed me her phone and told me to type in my number. I'm pretty sure I typed in 3 numbers and a letter I was so drunk.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Call me a flake: I got a job offer as a voicemail, back in 2003. I didn't check the voicemail on this phone for 4 days or so, seeing that I used it very little in general (this in the pre-JesusPhone days, of course). When I did discover that little voicemail icon I called them back immediately and accepted, of course.

Crappy Nokia 3650, almost causing me to lose out on a job... :D

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
One time at a bar some girl handed me her phone and told me to type in my number. I'm pretty sure I typed in 3 numbers and a letter I was so drunk.
I've done worse. I got a proper 10 digit number in. Only problem? I didn't type my number in, I did my sister's by accident. We were still on a shared family plan then, and since we'd set up both our numbers at the same time, hers was only one digit different than mine. And of all the digits to get wrong, I got the last one, in the least convenient way possible. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm guessing this job is one of his fall back plans and he either has something better he wants more or he's using this as leverage against his current employer.

As far as the thank you notes, I have *never* gotten one from any candidate I've interviewed. Damn ingrates. Then again, I don't exactly hire for executive level positions.
I always send a thanks as well as make a point of thanking the people before I leave.

At least he didn't tell you over lunch that he was only interviewing to get his current company to offer more money (true story, not mine).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
people check voicemail messages?
i never do.

i personally believe cell phones are 21st century´s slavery chains.
oh the joys of walking around or riding my bike without my cell phone, or where there is no signal.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
people check voicemail messages?
i never do.

i personally believe cell phones are 21st century´s slavery chains.
oh the joys of walking around or riding my bike without my cell phone, or where there is no signal.
Until one day you go riding, snap your femur (God forbid) and you have no service. What happens then?

But I see what you are saying. I once had an ex that would never stop talking to me and texting me. Every freakin minute my phone would buzz. I would turn it off. Lol.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Until one day you go riding, snap your femur (God forbid) and you have no service. What happens then?
The same thing you would have done 10 years ago. Figure some way to get yourself out of the situation you are currently in. Life involves risks and sometimes you need to take them to live.

I dislocated my shoulder on a mtb ride 10 miles into nowhere before I had a cell phone. After I jimmied my camelback to support my arm, I rode my bike to the hospital. It took me over 2 hours to get there and it hurt like hell, but I survived.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
for all of you judging this kid based on what e-mail address/service he uses - I hope 1) you never become a hiring manager 2) I never have to work for you

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
yesterday was "cute". The shrewd negotiator that he is....

He came by to ask me some detail questions about work schedule and over time etc...

He then said, "Well I'm probably going to take the offer. But can I think about it over night?"

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If I ever interview for the kind of job where some ****ing dork is judging me over the domain name of my email address, ****ing shoot me.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
for all of you judging this kid based on what e-mail address/service he uses - I hope 1) you never become a hiring manager 2) I never have to work for you
If I ever interview for the kind of job where some ****ing dork is judging me over the domain name of my email address, ****ing shoot me.
It was a joke - I certainly don't judge people on their domain names. Now, their religion and color - that's a whole different story. :D