Quantcast

The pack rat

The long ride topic and a cold morning got me to inventorying my pack to see what I'm actually carrying. I came up with
  • Pack, Osprey Rev 12
  • Bladder, Osprey 2.5 l/85 oz
  • Water, 1,500 ml
  • Jingle bell (hunting season)
  • Blinkie
  • Tissues
  • Wipes
  • Butt butter
  • Lip balm
  • Compass
  • Mountain Morph pump
  • Tube
  • Tire levers, Park TL-4.2, two
  • Patch kit
  • Park MLP-1.2 master link pliers
  • Disk pads
  • Chain segment and quick links, 9 and 11 speed
  • 5" pliers
  • $20 bill
  • Cleats
  • Derailleur hanger
Which comes up just short of eight pounds. Points of interest:
  • I found no food in the pack.
  • Even riding in the desert, my water intake while riding tends to 500 ml, but I carry three times that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Interesting combination you got there. So, you like to get your freak on out in the woods eh ? Oh wait, I see no implements of restraint like zip-ties or duck tape. Never mind, carry on.
Also, if you are applying butt butter mid-ride, isn't it already a little too late by that point? Might as well just ditch the seat and pedal standing up. :busted:

My pack is alarmingly short on supplies compared to yall....tube, pump, multi-tool, two hangars from North Shore Billet, tire levers, one shoe lace, water, banana/apple, quick links, health card and some crusty old change at the bottom of the bag. I will be adding some stuff tonight.

Still better than one of my friends that sometimes tries to bum water off me. You think he's carrying a tube or anything??

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Osprey Viper 10
  • Topeak mini tool
  • Gerber Dime mini tool
  • 2 tire levers
  • quick link
  • tube
  • zip-ties
  • pump with duck tape wrapped around barrel
  • Timbuk2 case for iTimeWaster
  • snacks
  • Gerber fast draw knife with serrated edge
  • SOG folding saw
  • map if necessary
  • keys
  • wallet
  • water
  • extra layer as needed
And if I'm going to be out for more than three hours, I add a couple small pouches. One has more tools including full length bhondus allen wrenches. The other is a small first aid kit and maybe some toilet paper.

When I did some big rides up in them thar hills, my pack was maxed out. Been looking at a bigger pack and am interested in the Osprey Manta 20. It's double the capacity of the Viper and has a metal frame built into that suspends the pack of your back. The hip-belt will help take weight of the shoulders as well.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
The long ride topic and a cold morning got me to inventorying my pack to see what I'm actually carrying. I came up with
  • Pack, Osprey Rev 12
  • Water, 1,500 ml
  • Blinkie
  • Tissues
  • Wipes
  • Butt butter
  • Lip balm
  • Compass
  • Mountain Morph pump
  • Tube
  • Patch kit
  • Disk pads
  • 5" pliers
  • $20 bill
  • Cleats
  • Derailleur hanger
  • Even riding in the desert, my water intake while riding tends to 500 ml, but I carry three times that.
No can of heady topper???

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
  • Pack, Osprey Rev 12
  • Water, 1,500 ml
  • Blinkie
  • Tissues
  • Wipes
  • Butt butter
  • Lip balm
  • Compass
  • Mountain Morph pump
  • Tube
  • Patch kit
  • Disk pads
  • 5" pliers
  • $20 bill
  • Cleats
  • Derailleur hanger
TL;DR

:D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Man some of you carry some crazy shit. On short rides sometimes all I carry is a multi tool, I'd, phone, and car keys.
If my frame had water bottle mounts, I'd ditch the pack on rides where I'm are never more than a couple miles from the car.

Also since car break-ins happen almost daily in the summer, I've gotten in the habit of taking my wallet and all my keys. Pain in the ass, but so is getting yo shit stole.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had furry tic tacs, a rotten roll of Ducktape. A bunch of spent Co2 carts. A broken pump. and 3 punctured tubes. A seriously suspect condom. a a few furry Luna bar samples. Maps for places I am sure I have never been and a unused Phish Ticket. Very useful thread....

Attachments

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Extra tubes/CO2 carts/Pump, because sometimes carts piss me off and get thrown at innocent forest creatures/tire irons. May even have a patch kit in there.
Rain layer (Too many years riding in Germany)
Clif Bars
small knife
Leatherman/multi tool
Multi tool specific to bikes
Miscellaneous monies of multiple countries
Chain tool and a bunch of links that I have no clue what type of chain they belong to
First aid pouch
Road i.d
Strobe/infrared locator beacon as needed

Life used to be so easy...a saddle bag with some stuff in it, a water bottle or two and a bike. Now, fuckallthatsalotofshit!