Quantcast

The perfect downhill wheelset?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Bontrager King Earl rims. I know it's not what everyone recomends but they hold up great. I've got a complete set of King Earl wheels in addition to my Superduty/aerolite/Laser disc wheels. At 530g each I get the weight of the Laserdisc FR, but the 31/2mm width.
where did you find the weight of the king earl rims? and you've run them before? I work at a trek dealer, and I'm considering picking up a set of rims and hubs before I leave, and if they actually hold up I might pick some up.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Hope Hubs, Mavic 721 rims. Cheap, strong, effective. You can run tubeless with maxxis rimstrips, stans or ghetto tubeless.
pretty much bang on perfect.....if you want a slightly better(quicker) engagement and a slight weight penalty, hadley is the way to go......

edit: just saw the page two jibberish...i'm surprised you had issues with hadleys....that's the first time i've heard of anyone having a problem....i've had my front hub for 6 years now, and had a back hub for 4 or 5 years on multiple bikes with no issues whatsoever.......i've ridden the hopes and while they are nice, the engagement leaves something to be desired.....

Last edited:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
i'm surprised you had issues with hadleys....that's the first time i've heard of anyone having a problem....i've had my front hub for 6 years now, and had a back hub for 4 or 5 years on multiple bikes with no issues whatsoever.......
My thoughts too. My hubs are 3+ years old. I've had to tighten up the hubs a couple times and lube the pawls once. One of my buddies has a 7 year old 36pt Hadley that still purrs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
pretty much bang on perfect.....if you want a slightly better(quicker) engagement and a slight weight penalty, hadley is the way to go......

edit: just saw the page two jibberish...i'm surprised you had issues with hadleys....that's the first time i've heard of anyone having a problem....i've had my front hub for 6 years now, and had a back hub for 4 or 5 years on multiple bikes with no issues whatsoever.......i've ridden the hopes and while they are nice, the engagement leaves something to be desired.....
Not just me, an entire teams worth (5 people). Same issues as well. Springs and pawls mostly, grinding bearings and seized needle bearings. The needle bearings were from ****ty conditions, but the springs pawls and inexcusable bad assembly floored me.

We dropped them the following year and ordered enough hope stuff to sink a small ship (we got an OEM deal we bought so many). Suzanne at Hadley did her best to help, even sent the toolkit (missing certain tools we needed), but we were always hunting down new parts and rebuilding hubs. It got a bit old, as you can imagine.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
where did you find the weight of the king earl rims? and you've run them before? I work at a trek dealer, and I'm considering picking up a set of rims and hubs before I leave, and if they actually hold up I might pick some up.
A few places online have them listed as 530g. I've got the KE rims laced to KE hubs and despite making 3-4 runs with flats last year they held up. I finally dented one up pretty good this year.
I used to work at a Trek dealer so I knew I could get them, but the King Earl stuff isn't listed online. I'm still searching for a set of rims. I hate that Trek has that policy that limits things from being sold over the phone or internet. I've got to drive to Portland now to find a set.

-Kevin

Oct 14, 2007
I use 4 sided spoke wrenches, spoke freeze, a tensiometer and slick honey on nipple to rim contacts for 2+ years on a few different wheels and never twisted, stripped or broke a nipple running alloy nipples.

-Kevin
Talking about spoke freeze, I know Sapim came out with some new nipples, that are somewhat of a derivative of Dt`s lock on nipples (that already have spoke freeze in) with the added advantage of being able to be trued, on and on, with no effect to the performance and lifetime of the thread locker in the nipple.

I.M.O. I would never use aero spokes for anything else than light xc or road. Even with a tensionmeter and 4 sided spoke key, it is impossible to attain the same tension as with brass nipples just because it takes twice as much torque in the nipple to attain the same tension as brass. The alloy nipples have physical limitations that only allow you to go so far in terms of tension. I`m not saying you can`t get adequate tension on alloy, just stating that you could never go as high as brass.That being said, do what you gotta do, what ever works for you do it.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
nice build... post what the weight is once built up... and how those big earls hold up...

out of curosity, why do most people build a front wheel the same as a rear?

i go through way more rears than fronts so i build the fronts lighter and the rears beefier with different spokes and rims... thoughts?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Not just me, an entire teams worth (5 people). Same issues as well. Springs and pawls mostly, grinding bearings and seized needle bearings. The needle bearings were from ****ty conditions, but the springs pawls and inexcusable bad assembly floored me.

We dropped them the following year and ordered enough hope stuff to sink a small ship (we got an OEM deal we bought so many). Suzanne at Hadley did her best to help, even sent the toolkit (missing certain tools we needed), but we were always hunting down new parts and rebuilding hubs. It got a bit old, as you can imagine.

edit: spelling

that's nuts man...sorry to hear that....hopefully they've worked out the kinks....and hopefully hope can cram a few more pawls and ratchets in their hub at a similar weight and pricepoint.....the lag in engagement is the only thing that really steers me away from those hubs......

on a side note, i should mention as someone who builds and has built alot of wheels in my day, an added benefit to hadley is that they always even out the flanges so that you can buy one box of spokes per wheelSET....you don't ever need two different lengths on one wheel(sometimes 4 different lengths per wheelset).....that makes the process super quick......

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I have 3 years on my hadleys. They've been 100% reliable. The bearings are still very smooth. The rear has been torn down and re-oiled, and its still like new. I ride 5 days a week 9 months a year, and there's no shortage of moisture here in Eastern Canada.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Talking about spoke freeze, I know Sapim came out with some new nipples, that are somewhat of a derivative of Dt`s lock on nipples (that already have spoke freeze in) with the added advantage of being able to be trued, on and on, with no effect to the performance and lifetime of the thread locker in the nipple.

I.M.O. I would never use aero spokes for anything else than light xc or road. Even with a tensionmeter and 4 sided spoke key, it is impossible to attain the same tension as with brass nipples just because it takes twice as much torque in the nipple to attain the same tension as brass. The alloy nipples have physical limitations that only allow you to go so far in terms of tension. I`m not saying you can`t get adequate tension on alloy, just stating that you could never go as high as brass.That being said, do what you gotta do, what ever works for you do it.
I've got 2 seasons on my WTB SuperDuty hubs and Laserdisc FR rims laced with Aerolite spokes and Alloy nipples. I have no problems with them EVER. I'd build the same wheel again, but I figured I'd try something new as I still have the WTB/DT wheels and can still run them.
I'm 5'11" 145lbs with gear. I'm really not all that heavy and definitely not hard on wheels.

Gratiflying: the King/Big Earl rims for me have been awesome. I've had a set of the Big Earls and never had a problem and I have a set of King Earls on my Session 10. I like the rims and the hubs have some bling factor but really its just a shimano-esque freehub body(slow engagement) and it's not all that light of a hub(lighter than many though). The rims hold up great. They are similar to the 6.1 in that they are a little bit softer rim, but they are a stiffer material and not nearly as bad about denting as the 6.1's.

-Kevin

Mar 14, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another benefit to Hadley: unlike Hope, which maintains the same width between the flanges on their 150 and 135 hubs, a 150 Hadley has wider flanges than the 135. Thus, if you're running 150 mm rear spacing, you can arguably build up a stronger wheel.

I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but I figured this out simply by looking at the hubs in a shop.

BTW: I have Hadley, and they are trouble free. Plus, when mated to Mavic 823s, you get a super strong set-up that is pretty light when run tubeless.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another benefit to Hadley: unlike Hope, which maintains the same width between the flanges on their 150 and 135 hubs, a 150 Hadley has wider flanges than the 135. Thus, if you're running 150 mm rear spacing, you can arguably build up a stronger wheel.
The big strength gains in a 150mm come from running a dishless wheel, which you get with either. Not sure the actual difference in flange spacing, but assuming both are dishless (which they would be retarded not to be), they'll build pretty close in strength.