Quantcast

The Phone Book.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Why am I still getting these things delivered to my house and how do I make it stop? Seriously, WTF? Does anyone actually use one any more? Are your internetz broken? Save a freaking tree!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what sucks even more is that you have to pay to not have your name listed. they have my old disconnected house number but they still list my address :think:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I live in a small town of about 4,000 people with very few businesses, and I have a land line (for emergency purposes, cell reception sucks). Telephone book is actually quite useful if I'm trying to call a small mom and pop type business that may not necessarily have a website.

Besides, is picking up a phone book and throwing it in the recycling bin if you don't want it really that much of a hassle?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Haven't had a landline in over 10yrs so definitely not listed in the phone book. Haven't actually used one in forever either.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That's true. He's gotta fumble around and sort through a stack before getting his subscriptions to Better Homes and Gardens and Cosmo.
Those arrive separately thank you very much. It goes straight into the recycle bin, it just baffles me that it even still exists as a viable form of advertisement/communication. Never mind the two "competing" books that history has shown me are also due on the doorstep here in the next couple days.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I live in a small town of about 4,000 people with very few businesses, and I have a land line (for emergency purposes, cell reception sucks). Telephone book is actually quite useful if I'm trying to call a small mom and pop type business that may not necessarily have a website.

Besides, is picking up a phone book and throwing it in the recycling bin if you don't want it really that much of a hassle?
I could be wrong, but doesn't google maps (or the equivalent) pull its info straight from the phone book anyway? Or Yellow.com, for example, takes you to the website equivalent of the Yellow pages. There really isn't any reason to have a phone book other than for the phone company to sell advertising...

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Gather up several phone books and use them to armor your car. It worked on Burn Notice, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
The white pages are the fastest way to find the number of someone you know or a small business that doesn't have a website.

I get so tired of people calling me up to get somebody's number. Or people call my shop and when I refer them to another business, they ask for the phone number. Sometimes I look it up in the phone book for them if I think they could be a potential customer in the future. Otherwise I recommend that they use that big yellow book that everybody throws away.

I do hate the second-rate phone book. That one does go straight to recycle. They are usually out of date and never have the information I actually need.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!

Page 73 - Johnson, Navin R.!

I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book everyday! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity - your name in print - that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
maybe if you make a trap door on your door step to trigger when he rings your door bell. that way you can catch him and feed him to your dog cat or what ever you have. or you could tell them to stop bringing it but that seems to simple.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I didn't realize it was possible to opt out. I always kicked them onto my **** head neighbor's doorstep. If I still lived there I would consider ordering extra so that I could give him even more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Phone books are still around for the same reason Buick is still a car brand. Old people. There are more of them than us and they have more money.