Quantcast

The plywood/stainless steel tables @ Chipotle

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Hey all, I'm curious if anyone here knows how the table top surfaces were made ? I know they are plywood and stainless steel but 1) how are they laminated together and more importantly 2) how did they get perfectly clean that edge and rounded corners?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The adhesive brand? Where to get them cut?? Metal shop? Wood shop? I have a project in the works that this would work perfectly.

Thanks,

Joel

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Jimmy_Pop said:
Hey all, I'm curious if anyone here knows how the table top surfaces were made ? I know they are plywood and stainless steel but 1) how are they laminated together and more importantly 2) how did they get perfectly clean that edge and rounded corners?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The adhesive brand? Where to get them cut?? Metal shop? Wood shop? I have a project in the works that this would work perfectly.

Thanks,

Joel

A picture of the table surface might help......

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Jimmy_Pop said:
Correct.

Either you've seen them up close or not. I'm looking for people who have and know how they were made.
I think i'm going to go at lunch because i never really gave them much thought. but i wouldn’t be surprised if they were pressure treated/laminated then routed with a round over bit.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
thank you. this is going to annoy the hell out of me, so now i'm gonna have to go there for lunch.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Could you just snatch some of the tables from a Chipotle restaurant? Try asking the manager, and if he doesn't know, he'll be able to get you a phone number for someone higher up. I'm sure they have a website and you could pretty easily find out who the contracter is that was employed to build the franchise. They're owned by the same company that owns McDonald's, so they can't be too labor-intensive, as they don't want to spend all day making tables when they can be eating burritos and burgers.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I’m pretty sure it’s just a pressure plywood laminate with a steel top bonded to it (epoxy probably.)
Seems like it would be pretty easy to reproduce. Start with the metal cut and finish. Bond to square piece of plywood route excess plywood off.
just took these:

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
The Toninator said:
I’m pretty sure it’s just a pressure plywood laminate with a steel top bonded to it (epoxy probably.)
Seems like it would be pretty easy to reproduce. Start with the metal cut and finish. Bond to square piece of plywood route excess plywood off.
just took these:

Dude, Thanks! That is awesome!

I'm going to be building five industrial desk/work stations and something like this will probably be easier, lighter and cheaper than using plate steel as the work surface.

thanks for the help. those shots are what i needed as my camera is many miles away.

joel

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Jimmy_Pop said:
Dude, Thanks! That is awesome!

I'm going to be building five industrial desk/work stations and something like this will probably be easier, lighter and cheaper than using plate steel as the work surface.

thanks for the help. those shots are what i needed as my camera is many miles away.

joel
Your welcome. I'm no wood worker but i think i'm looking at it right. I could be totally wrong though.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
The Toninator said:
just took these:

looks like baltic birch ply, or sign makers ply. its high end, and doesn't have voids in it. you would be hard pressed to find a router bit and router to chew both stainless and wood as lamm'ed like that. I would think they started with the stainless top the size they wanted, and then lamm'ed it to a slightly oversided ply build up. then used the edge of the stainless as the guide for the bearing on the router bit. the same way you do laminate trimming only in reverse.

I would think the stainless would glue easily with regular industrial strength contact adhesive. (the same stuff for formica) but go to a cabinet shop and get some from them, its usually better than what you can get at the Depot!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
brungeman said:
I would think they started with the stainless top the size they wanted, and then lamm'ed it to a slightly oversided ply build up. then used the edge of the stainless as the guide for the bearing on the router bit. the same way you do laminate trimming only in reverse.
i'm pretty sure that's what i said. i could be wrong though.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
NICE ! that is the ticket. Sheet the SS to the desired size then laminate it to an oversized plywood. Route the plywood to match.

I :heart: Ridemonkey and you guys/gals.

joel

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Chicken fajita burrito; rice, baked beans, chicken, and cheese. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. not as good as Freebirds, but close.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
The Toninator said:
outstanding sir.
BTW, what is Chipotle? (i figured it is a resturuant) sounds like its a Mex or AmeriMex? We have a place in the Burgh that is a great spot for after ride frivolities, great beer choices, great food and an awesome atmosphere! Called Mad Mex. :drool: I don't give a SH!T what time of day it is I could always go for a spicy chicken burrito!!!:love: