Quantcast

The Post Punk Thread

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I'm in a post punk mood and am looking to expand my collection...
Evidently on some google searches post punk means everything from pearl jam to fireHose etc. :think:
I'm looking for that edgey music between 70's early 80's between real punk and new wave, but there's loads of crossover between the two.
What does post punk mean to you?
Any albums I should check out?
I already have:
All the Stooges albums
All the Joy Division Stuff
The Damned greatest hits
Iggy Pop - Raw Power
Killing Joke - complilation
Some David Bowie
Some Oingo Boingo
A lot of Devo
Some Clash

I plan on picking up some Gang of Four and Wire, evidently the record store kiddies don't order "old" people music anymore.

Any suggestions would be great, I know there are a lot of music junkies that post on here as well.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the clash put out a live cd called "live: from here to eternity" that simply rocks the **** out

check out some new york dolls as well
not really punk but just straight f*ckin rock

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
post-punk is definitely a loose term, and one could lump in people from Sonic Youth to Mogwai under that rubric.

the 1st couple of wire lps are punk, really, not post-punk. but definitely pick them up, they rock. swell maps are another post-punk band whose records i think have been reissued. there's a good rough trade box set of 4 cds which spans a lot of that period, from punk up through the 90s. that might not be a bad start.

i'll post more later tonight when i have some more time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Saints "Wild About You 76-78". Contains the first three albums. 46 or 47 tracks on 2 CD's.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Other stuff you might consider....

Sex Pistols
The Ramones
Nick Lowe
Buzzcocks
The Jam
Pere Ubu
The Modern Lovers
Television
Mink DeVille
Richard Hell & The Voidoids
The Stranglers
Patti Smith
Gen X
Blondie (yeah I know...)
The Fall
Stiff Little Fingers
The Undertones
Ian Dury
The Mekons
The Germs
Tom Robinson Band
Black Flag
Fear
X
The Dickies
The Dead Kennedys
The Only Ones
The Soft Boys
Elvis Costello & The Attractions
The Slits
The Cramps
Talking Heads
Joe Jackson
Gang Of Four

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Post punk? Check out Jawbox, and, of course, Fugazi. I've heard A Perfect Circle described as post punk. They're good, too. I've recently discovered Jawbox.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
P.S. there are some other bands on Dischord (Ian MacKaye's label) that are supposed to be awesome "post punk", too, but I haven't had the oppurtunity to check any of them out yet. And for the record, narlus seems to be the best source for music advice on all of ridemonkey, maybe even the entire internet.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Hey, thanks everyone.
I knew you guys would throw some stuff out there that I completely forgot about.
Anything else just keep it coming.
I've been listening to Killing Joke all weekend. :thumb:

KonaJosh said:
P.S. there are some other bands on Dischord (Ian MacKaye's label) that are supposed to be awesome "post punk", too, but I haven't had the oppurtunity to check any of them out yet. And for the record, narlus seems to be the best source for music advice on all of ridemonkey, maybe even the entire internet.
If your looking at Dischord bands my personal recommendations would be Rites of Spring, Beefeater, Circus Lupus and Gray Matter.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah, Discord stuff is great and I love Fugazi but it's not exactly what I think of as Post Punk.
Which it may be, but I'm really looking for some of the older bands in that late 70s to early 80s era where true punk meets new wave. Its kinda hard to define because I think for most bands it was a transition. Some bands went from Punk to New Wave, like The Clash's Cut the Crap.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
caboverpete said:
So you dont consider Husker Du post punk but you do consider The Sex Pistols post punk?

Reminds me that "Sid & Nancy" is palying on the Indie Film Channel on TV this month...

You may want to include Romeo Void and Souxie and the Banshees as well as Nina Hagen.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Speaking of movies on the genre, a couple of months ago I saw "24 Hour Party People". It's sort of about the Joy Division story, among other things. Lame title, decent movie.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i think bands that melded punk's attitude and anger with new wave's funk and synth and melody are 'post-punk'. that's just my personal definition....

gang of four are my favorite post punk band, check out the Entertainment! reissue (thanks rollins :D )

pere ubu are super powerful and amazing

classic post-punk? the smiths! never liked them as a teen, but started becoming obesessed as a 20something

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
caboverpete said:
So you dont consider Husker Du post punk but you do consider The Sex Pistols post punk?
I have no idea what "post punk" is. I consider the Sex Pistols to be punk. In fact I think they exemplify punk. When Husker Du showed up on the scene punk as I had known it had already faded.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
ROCKLAND said:
Speaking of movies on the genre, a couple of months ago I saw "24 Hour Party People". It's sort of about the Joy Division story, among other things. Lame title, decent movie.
Yeah, a good flick for sure.
:thumb:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah, I need to see that movie. It's got Steve Coogan in it too and he's one of my favorite brit comedians. I've been looking for Ian Curtis book that was written by his wife for sometime. Maybe I'll finally just order it off the net.

So after sorting through a bunch of google crap......
The post-punk era is often ignored by music critics. The focus of rock histories and television retrospectives is often on the punk years themselves and with good reason; punk forever changed rock music, and allowed true, rebellious rock and roll to become basic and non-commercialized once again.
This set the stage for a revolution: the post-punk years of 1978-1983. This rough five year period coincides with the beginnings of several important underground movements, including Gothic, Industrial, and, ultimately, New Wave
I hate the "gotta catergorize music" thing. I don't think art fits into nicely catergorized and dehumanized boxes, but really just want to find more bands that sound like Gang of Four, Killing Joke, Joy division etc. not so much the bands that were influenced by them, which you could list thousands but bands from the same era with that same energy.

jdcamb said:
I have no idea what "post punk" is. I consider the Sex Pistols to be punk. In fact I think they exemplify punk. When Husker Du showed up on the scene punk as I had known it had already faded.
Im not trying to argue over genre labels.... but "post punk" would seem to mean that "When Husker Du showed up on the scene punk as I had known it had already faded."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i think i've got a better grip on what you are looking for, and i've drawn up a couple of lists. one focuses on the time period that you specified, the other is a broader scope and includes bands who were influenced by the 1st group (ie, steve albini acknowledging the huge debt he owes to andy gill)

i've also tried to narrow the list to bands which embody guitar as the prime focus, so no (totally worthy) inclusions of elvis costello, the smiths, etc.

List A shows contemporaries of that early 80s scene, and i've given a recommendation as to what record to check out (some bands have discographys which are solid top to bottom, like the chameleons. definitely get their 1st 3 records). pretty much every record listed is a must-have.

List A:
mission of burma (ryko comp)
echo & the bunnymen (heaven up here)
gordons (gordons)
the chameleons (strange times, script of the bridge)
the fall (this nation's saving grace)
the jam (setting sons)
public image (public image)
wipers (over the edge)
magazine (real life)
swell maps (train out of it)
the slits (the slits)
the damned (machine gun ettiquette)
radio birdman (essential radio birdman)
pere ubu (the modern dance)
the sound (from the lion's mouth)
comsat angels (fiction)
red lorry yellow lorry (talk about the weather)
the effigies (we're da machine)

this list expands on what the List A bands were doing, and keeps that spirit going. again, pretty essential stuff, imo.

List B:
slint (spiderland)
jesus and mary chain (darklands)
dinosaur jr (you're living all over me)
mogwai (happy songs for happy people)
archers of loaf (white trash heroes)
sebadoh (III)
big black (atomizer)
swervedriver (raise, mezcal head)
versus (secret swingers)
wedding present (bizarro)
jesus lizard (goat)
tar (over and out)
black rebel motorcycle club (take them on, on your own)
pixies (surfer rosa)
nick cave (let love in)

here are a couple of links which are worth checking out too. the 1st one is an italian site, but there is plenty of english content in it too. the 2nd is jack rabid's site, and he is a total fan of that stuff. i did some writing for jack's mag about a decade or so ago.

http://www.scaruffi.com/history/cpt4.html

http://www.bigtakeover.com/

good luck, and feel free to ask more detailed questions on anything.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Cool thanks!
List b pretty much reads like my current collection... a lot of indy rock, Lou Barlow, Jesus Lizard, Big Black etc.

List A is great. I totally forgot about Mission to Burma and the Slits.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
definitely check out Magazine. they were started by howard devoto, who was the 1st singer for the buzzcocks (on their first single "spiral scratch"). john mcgeough (sp?) also played guitar for them and was a banshee for a few records (also worth seeking out). he died last year i think.

and the chameleons are a must-have band. you should be able to find a copy of _strange times_ in yr local cutout bin (not sure but geffen must have made millions of copies...). the 1st two are harder to find (the 2nd never did get issued domestically, MCA might have done _script of the bridge_) but also essential.

J

JRB

N8 said:
Reminds me that "Sid & Nancy" is palying on the Indie Film Channel on TV this month...

You may want to include Romeo Void and Souxie and the Banshees as well as Nina Hagen.
I keep thinking about Sid and Nancy when I listen to Narlus' bad ass mix. It has a Joe Strummer song, which makes me think of his video from Sid and Nancy. Now I have to remember the song. I can picture the video since it was on 120 minutes every week.

Edit - Love Kills was the song.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
N8 said:
What would Nine Inch Nails be considered?
Pop music

oh.... Narlus already said crap.

Trent is good at ripping of everything that's already been done and making himself famous for it.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Nine Inch Nails is considered an 'Industrial' band... er... guy.

while there are many current bands that pull a lot of influence from the post-punk era, that era is over. there are no current post-punk bands.

this is my theory and it may be incorrect.

J

JRB

I hate Nine Inch Nails. They even made Johnny Cash do a good song. Sorry for those that like it, but it ain't no "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down".

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DVNT said:
Pop music

oh.... Narlus already said crap.

Trent is good at ripping of everything that's already been done and making himself famous for it.

Yeah they suck but I a college room mate of mine was big into them, the Pixies and Red hot Chile Peppers.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
narlus said:
I just came in on this thread and I was going to post, just go get yourself a subscription to the best music mag I've ever layed my hands on. The Big Takeover. Hands down the best coverage of the best bands of our time. I have had a subscription for about two years but been reading it for a few more years. It is only bi-annual but well worth the wait, the content is so detailed and they review so many shows and albums in each issue. :thumb:

You will never feel lost for good music with BTO! (Big Take Over, Not Bachman Turner Overdrive!!! :D )

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one really cool thing i like about the BT too is Jack's lead-in editorials. they are typically very well-written and thought-provoking. glad to see another support of the mag.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
loco said:
I hate Nine Inch Nails. They even made Johnny Cash do a good song. Sorry for those that like it, but it ain't no "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down".
Actually it was Rick Rubin. That focker makes me sick. Only an egotestical like him would exploit the poor man and force him to record that album on his death bed FULLY KNOWING that it would make his record company big money after he passed away.
This is no exageration. I lot of that last album was recorded in the hospital.
And then making a "tribute" to Johnny video out of the NIN song after he passed away as if to stress the point. If it was truly meant to be a tribute to his great life it would of been one of Johnny's songs not some song written by a whinny prick (trent) that's playing up to teen angst.
By the way I don't like country music one bit but I admire Johnny Cash, he's lived a hard life.

I wish Bad Stomach pains on Rick Rubin.