Quantcast

The Power of Facebook

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
wow!! after losing touch for years with a family i shared the majority of my childhood memories with, a family consisting of my 2nd mom, substitute dad and two younger sisters...today facebook reunited me with them. my sisters are now married with kids of their own.

if there was ever a hallmark moment in my life...this would be one!!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
LOL, I had to ask my college age son what the deal was a couple of weeks ago; I'd had half a dozen people ask me if I was "on".

While I don't see much use for contacting my local connections, it was great to find someone I've been looking for, for about 15 years. Lost is found and in a good way.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Its creepy when the uncles start stalking their nieces and commenting all the pics and status's.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
My sons informed me that it would be creepy to friend their friends and that there's actual a group devoted to that. (people that are creeped out by their friend's parents)

If someone asked me that, I'd slap them.
hey cut us old people some slack will ya?

Last edited:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I fought it for years, but gave in at christmas. Surprised how many people I have reconnected with.

The reality is I would never want to call them and talk on the phone. Short little notes are so much more convenient.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
My dad wanted to join because he said his friends joined facebook. So I put my glasses on and erased his memory with my flash pen.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
My mom has one. She is a professor and uses it to communicate with her students in the field. I thought it was weird when my ex's mom would ask us about our status updates and the likes. We had no privacy there.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
now granted...i'm not sure my poty mouth will go over with the old out of touch family/friends crowd that might find me now. and lord help me if my mother ever gets on there...i'm no longer that innocent school girl. ;) any old family/friends are in for a new me...but hey...we all gotta grow up sooner or later. :biggrin:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
That's my feeling. If someone was THAT important to you, how do you let yourself lose touch with them?
Someone else asked me this. Especially for us old people, back in the days when people wrote letters or used the phone to stay in touch, it could be a whole lot of work to keep track of people. Especialy if you didn't have a whole herd that you ran with. What if someone moved and you lost their contact info, or you were living on the other side of the world at the time, maybe their parents died and you don't have a lot of friends in common.... not so hard to do.

Some of my old friends used to move every six months, it was hard to keep up with them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Someone else asked me this. Especially for us old people, back in the days when people wrote letters or used the phone to stay in touch, it could be a whole lot of work to keep track of people. Especialy if you didn't have a whole herd that you ran with. What if someone moved and you lost their contact info, or you were living on the other side of the world at the time, maybe their parents died and you don't have a lot of friends in common.... not so hard to do.

Some of my old friends used to move every six months, it was hard to keep up with them.
Bingo - I'm connecting with people I went to *elementary* school with... it's really quite enjoyable. :D

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My mom joined and friended me....then she started posting stupid things on my wall like "Hey Dude..." I think I might drop her as a friend :disgust:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that's crap. life happens. you move on. i went from living in NY to CT to TX. they in turn also move on. numbers change. addresses change and suddenly it's 20 years later and all you have are your childhood memories. doesn't make them any LESS important.
absolutely.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
that's crap. life happens. you move on. i went from living in NY to CT to TX. they in turn also move on. numbers change. addresses change and suddenly it's 20 years later and all you have are your childhood memories. doesn't make them any LESS important.
Good post.
Now I have these lyrics stuck in my head:
(and that's not a bad thing.)

I seem to recognize your face
Haunting, familiar, yet I cant seem to place it
Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
Lifetimes are catching up with me
All these changes taking place,
I wish Id seen the place
But no ones ever taken me
Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away... (2x)

I swear I recognize your breath
Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising
Me you wouldnt recall, for
Im not my former
Its hard when youre stuck upon the shelf
I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate
Perhaps thats what no one wants to see
I just want to scream...hello...
My God its been so long, never dreamed youd return
But now here you are, and here I am
Hearts and thoughts they fade...away

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just because you lose touch with someone doesn't mean you aren't friends anymore.

My interest in the Facebook thingy has been piqued.

As it turns out it's not just for kids. Score one for us old fukks.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
If I wanted to reconnect with people, I wouldn't have disconnected from them in the first place.
Exactly. The one High School friend who I stay in touch with said to me the other day that it was good that I didn't get on Facebook to "reconnect". His quote was, "It would scare you. Everyone we knew from high school is now fat and bald, except for you!" HA!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I've had a facebook account for a year or so now. I can't stand all the stupid applications so I generally delete those requests but it helped me track down my old high school friends after we lost touch. Even had a few high school arseholes "friend" me.... guess they're full of nostalgia for the good old days and forgot how bad they treated me. :D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's a really great ego boost being able to look up almost your entire high school class (mine was about 1000) and see what fvckups they've become. If I'm ever feeling down I can just look through that an instantly feel better.

I gotta say though, it's also good for the occasional pleasant surprise, like when some girl who was just average looking back then turned out to be a total dime.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

One of the reasons I use it too. It's been nice to keep in touch with friends from HS & College that are all over the world!

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Facebook and myspace basically serve the same purpose. I dont have the closest family so its kind of served the same purpose as whoever mentioned not wanting to call people and its easier to just send a quick email on occasion. I ve been able to keep up with cousins that I normally wouldnt talk to at all. So that alone is a bonus to either site.

Half of my facebook friends are the people I ride with. The picture sharing alone makes facebook worth it.

I also hate most of the applications and just ignore them also. Friend requests from people I went to school with who I ve never talked to and barely remember occasionally sucks but those are kind of rare so I can deal with it.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had a Facebook account a few years ago in college. I signed up for it last fall and it still had all my info, but I used a different email then. Didn't like that, deleted it again in 1/2 hour.

My wife has an account, so I browsed around one day. I noticed my brother-in-law has all my real life friends as his on line friends. Take that one as you will.

I still just call and email my best friends. I'm still in contact with the friends that mattered from HS and college. I see most of them at least once a year.

I've been told by friends and family I need to get an account. EF that, its a trend.