Quantcast

The preposterous portfolio and tumultuous trading thread (*At your own risk)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Has some good luck with funds tied to the price of carbon recently, and it seems this may get a further bump based on the recent COP outcomes.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
good!

I'm too stupid for options. I've been trying to learn, but my confidence isn't where it needs to be. Any good resources to learn, aside from Investopedia or YouTube?
Feel free to call me. I can also give you some of my CFP and CFA books.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thats pretty rad of you, I dont think I have had any of my books since the 90's, I suppose they are all pretty much the same these days.
I think I could get agreement though that options are a risky game and you have to be willing to take the LEVERED risk and corresponding potential losses. You can set up collars, floors, ceilings, and spreads for mitigating risk, but you still need to get an understanding of how the Greeks work. If you don't mind your volatility and time - especially how theta and gamma impact your position - you can unintentionally lose money in a trade that looks like it will structurally make money. On the surface they can look easy to understand. Covered call, covered put - easy peezy. But so much more to it than that.

You need to have time to trade options. If you're doing hail Mary otm flyer's, you need to be aware of the interim volatility and price fluctuations. If you're selling covered puts instead of using limits, you need to be mindful of your other investments, especially if you have that money invested in the interim (see using leverage). You also need solid nerves, because they will move exponentially vs. underlying.

Your know this, but most people need to before they get involved.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Will be interesting to see how this plays out

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
This level of FTD accumulation is criminal and could very much cause systemic risk to the world financial system. If the blue chip long positions, (Tesla,Apple,Amazon), that are held by these funds are liquidated to pay off their margin calls or for NSCC buy backs, the market itself could see a catastrophic event unfold. Griffin casually evaded questions directly asked by Andreessen regarding the company's short position in Gamestop and AMC theaters. When this short squeeze happens, it could result in the greatest transfer of wealth in market history and the liquidation of a number of Hedge Funds that are valued in the trillions collectively.)

This. Exactly. (bold my emphasis)

gonefirefightin

free wieners
This level of FTD accumulation is criminal and could very much cause systemic risk to the world financial system. If the blue chip long positions, (Tesla,Apple,Amazon), that are held by these funds are liquidated to pay off their margin calls or for NSCC buy backs, the market itself could see a catastrophic event unfold. Griffin casually evaded questions directly asked by Andreessen regarding the company's short position in Gamestop and AMC theaters. When this short squeeze happens, it could result in the greatest transfer of wealth in market history and the liquidation of a number of Hedge Funds that are valued in the trillions collectively.)

This. Exactly. (bold my emphasis)
Just a waiting game and the longer it goes the more profitable it will get for the retail market.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
SMH. Why are some Americans so scared of China? Are they so scared of the weakness of their own convictions and systems that people doing things differently are such a threat just by existing and playing the same game? (with Western rules, no less!)
That military industrial complex won't fund itself and deprive the plebes of an enhanced quality of life.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When you are a trillionaire for a couple minutes, lol