Quantcast

The price gouging of the Rich continues!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
11,007
149
The Cleft of Venus
:angry:

Yen for fine steak? Dish out top dollar

Soaring gasoline prices? That's small potatoes compared to the elite steaks in Las Vegas.

Along Las Vegas Boulevard and off the Strip, the $20-something steak has gone the way of the $1.99 buffet.

A survey of top eateries reveals the most expensive steaks this side of New York City, if not even higher than there.

Granted, many of the jaw-dropping prices are the result of more Kobe beef being served. Take Shintaro, the Japanese eatery at Bellagio, where the 10-ounce Washugyu Kobe tenderloin is going for $190. Shintaro's 12-ounce sirloin commands $170.

Over at Bradley Ogden, the high-end restaurant at Caesars Palace, the 8-ounce Kobe steak goes for $175.

Also cracking the $100 barrier: Craftsteak at the MGM Grand, with a 10-ounce Kobe filet mignon price at $100. On the cusp: a 14-ounce Kobe ribeye for $98.

So much U.S. beef has topped the $50-a-steak mark that we couldn't count them. Among the highest: Michael's at the Barbary Coast offers a 20-ounce New York prime aged Black Angus sirloin for $75, and filet mignon for $68.

Yes, it's outrageous, agrees Russell Anzevino, assistant maitre d' at Michael's, "but it's got to do with the availability of prime beef. In the days of the $20 steak, prime beef was plentiful. Now one percent of beef is deemed prime now."

Prime beef, he said, "is deemed just like a vintage wine. It goes through an auction. It's very rare, almost like diamonds."
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,980
5,691
Sleazattle
I've eaten at quite a few nice restaurants. Price seems to have little to do with flavour. They will charge $120 for a steak because some dumbass will pay $120.
 

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
7,344
41
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Best steak in town here cost about $25, no sides, no drinks... just $25 for a 16-20 oz steak. Its not Kobe beef though. That stuff is something else... wouldnt even call it steak. I mean, its beef and all, but its crazy tender, like more than you can imagine unless you have had it. It will cost you an arm and a leg too.
 

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
612
0
OC, CA
N8 said:
Michael's at the Barbary Coast offers a 20-ounce New York prime aged Black Angus sirloin for $75, and filet mignon for $68.
The Barbary Coast is a frickin' dump! who in their right mind would pay those prices there?

Morton's of Chicago and Ruth's Chris are nowhere near those prices - definitely gouging.
 

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
9,844
11
So Cal
Best steak I ever had came out of my own kitchen. If any of you want to come over and pay 120.00 for a steak my door is open.
 

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
2,131
0
Denver, CO
rooftest said:
The Barbary Coast is a frickin' dump! who in their right mind would pay those prices there?
:stupid:

Although, if you're looking for some $5 blackjack and 3-card poker tables, BC is the place to go.
 

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
24,638
26
behind the viewfinder
i had some kobe beef tartare a couple months ago....not worth the $$$ imo (but i didn't pay so i felt like trying it).

best steak i've had comes off my grill, courtesy of butcher boy....huge bone-in sirloins, ribeyes or t-bones, or boneless strips or filets...doesn't matter. it's as good if not better than any steak i've had from places like capital grille, smith and wollenskys, grill 23, shanahans, etc.
 

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
6,260
15
Glitter Gulch
riderx said:
Do a little research on Kobe beef and you'll see why you aren't getting it for $20.

there isn't enough hype in the world that would make me think a steak is worth almost half a months rent.
 

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
38,980
5,691
Sleazattle
I travel quite a bit on a company credit card and for the most point can eat where ever the heck I want and usually do. I have found that the best food is not found at fancy high end joints but usually at some of most low down decrepid little places. I think some people get fooled into thinking their food is better because of the price associated with it.

Best meal I ever had was at this little place in Messina NY. I can't even remember the name, it looked like someones house, room for only 5 tables. One thing on the menu, whatever the chef decided to make that night. A full meal cost less than $20.
 

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
321
0
Merded, ca
laura said:
there isn't enough hype in the world that would make me think a steak is worth almost half a months rent.
where are you getting rent for $400 a month? I have had some pretty good steaks for far less than $50, but I personally like grilling my own. Its a little more primal and i think that lends a little something.

For you bay area monkeys, Andronico's has a rightous butcher shop and the chateubriand filet. :drool: :drool: :D
last time i bought it i think it was $12 a pound.
 

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
312
0
wCo
Kobe burgers are everywhere here in texas. 5-7 bucks for a burger and fries. Guess its only the steaks that bring in the top dallor
 

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
704
0
Fredrock
laura said:
there isn't enough hype in the world that would make me think a steak is worth almost half a months rent.
Agreed. Never had the Kobe and probably never will. I like good food, but those prices go way beyond my personal law of diminishing returns.
 

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
704
0
Fredrock
Crash_Tested said:
Kobe burgers are everywhere here in texas. 5-7 bucks for a burger and fries. Guess its only the steaks that bring in the top dallor
That's 'cause burgers are made from the floor scraps!
 

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
6,260
15
Glitter Gulch
beestiboy said:
where are you getting rent for $400 a month? I have had some pretty good steaks for far less than $50, but I personally like grilling my own. Its a little more primal and i think that lends a little something.

For you bay area monkeys, Andronico's has a rightous butcher shop and the chateubriand filet. :drool: :drool: :D
last time i bought it i think it was $12 a pound.

550 a month. I said ALMOST half a months rent. and we're in memphis.
you couldn't charge too much to live here.
 

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
14,315
1,351
Jimtown, CO
Crash_Tested said:
Kobe burgers are everywhere here in texas. 5-7 bucks for a burger and fries. Guess its only the steaks that bring in the top dallor
They are not real KOBE burgers. Kobe beef is raised in Japan & illegal to import to the US. So that is why they are so cheap.
 

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
312
0
wCo
TN said:
They are not real KOBE burgers. Kobe beef is raised in Japan & illegal to import to the US. So that is why they are so cheap.
the cow does not care were he was raised just where his roots are from. There are plenty of Wagyu cattle in Texas, we just don't rub on our cattle like they do in Japan. :rolleyes:

And yes burger is just chunks of leftover parts.
 

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
1,108
0
Sandy Eggo, CA
Crash_Tested said:
the cow does not care were he was raised just where his roots are from. There are plenty of Wagyu cattle in Texas, we just don't rub on our cattle like they do in Japan.
But you cancelled our ride together yesterday because you said you had to massage your cow...

I'm so hurt. :(





(jk Crash. Couldn't resist. It's that strange morning sense of humor)