The Problem with 29ers Revealed!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:thumb:

The Problem with 29ers
mtbr.com | mward | 22 Sep 05

Yes yes, everyone reads posts daily about how riding a 29er made someone's man-tackle larger, or helped them score a date with paris hilton or allowed them to go from the back of beginner to expert overnight, but seriously, 29ers are not all that.

I've found their weak spot. The chink in the armor. The black spot on their record, as it were.

They let you go faster, of course. The problem with this is you can wreck faster.

I used to just suffer from gratuitous bruising. Now I've graduated to lacerations. Seriously, I have not been augered into the ground with such force, ever, in my cycling career. I feel like the guy in the circus who shoots himself out of a canon, given the speed at which I can put myself over the bars. It's amazing, really, when you consider 250 lbs of flesh moving at 15 mph all put into the palms of your hand as you land. My shoulders are sore as hell. It's a good thing I've been eating cheese and drinking milk.

As a side note, tonight I cleaned 2 rocky sections I've never been able to do, one I've never even come close to cleaning.

Thank you. That is all.

Sherpa said:
There for old people who can't ride real bikes. :dancing:
I hate to say it and i'm sure N8 has mad bike skills but on the trails all the 29" fanactics are always older dudes who have declining ability and just want a fast roller.
Nothing wrong with that.
Bigger is better right?
I heard Bender has a new bike that runs a 29" in the front and a 24" in the back :sneaky:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LOOnatic said:
I hate to say it and i'm sure N8 has mad bike skills but on the trails all the 29" fanactics are always older dudes who have declining ability and just want a fast roller.
Nothing wrong with that.
Bigger is better right?
I heard Bender has a new bike that runs a 29" in the front and a 24" in the back :sneaky:
There are also the rigid singlespeed 29" wool jersey wearing fanatics that have the "I'm better than you because I am different" attitudes. Their native territory seems to be western Pa.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
MMike said:
Isn't this sort of like laying a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood over the rocky section and saying "I just cleaned the rocky section!"
No, that's what it's like when you ride a full suspension bike...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
SkaredShtles said:
Are you insinuating that the 29'er phenomenon might be a *FAD*?!?

Blasphemer. :mad:
Not just the 29's but all the FADS over the past few years that EVERY company pushes as the next big thing, and all the mags for going along with it. This is one of the MANY reasons the bike industry is broke. Every year their marketing changes, and like Hollywood these days nobody has an original story... just a spin off of something that has been tried by another company. Then market it as if you started a revolution. Gary Fisher comes to mind here. Everything that guy puts his name on(not that he builds anything) is going to change the way we ride a bike.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dhtahoe said:
Not just the 29's but all the FADS over the past few years that EVERY company pushes as the next big thing, and all the mags for going along with it. This is one of the MANY reasons the bike industry is broke. Every year their marketing changes, and like Hollywood these days nobody has an original story... just a spin off of something that has been tried by another company. Then market it as if you started a revolution. Gary Fisher comes to mind here. Everything that guy puts his name on(not that he builds anything) is going to change the way we ride a bike.

Like that crazy DH fad from a few years ago...

:p