Quantcast

The Prom I went to wasn't like this......

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/16/prom.canceled.ap/index.html

Students putting down $10,000 to rent a party house in the Hamptons.

Pre-prom cocktail parties followed by a trip to the dance in a liquor-loaded limo.

Fathers chartering a boat for their children's late-night "booze cruise."
"It is not primarily the sex/booze/drugs that surround this event, as problematic as they might be; it is rather the flaunting of affluence, assuming exaggerated expenses, a pursuit of vanity for vanity's sake -- in a word, financial decadence," Hoagland said, fed up with what he called the "bacchanalian aspects."

"Each year it gets worse -- becomes more exaggerated, more expensive, more emotionally traumatic," he said.

"We are withdrawing from the battle and allowing the parents full responsibility. [Kellenberg] is willing to sponsor a prom, but not an orgy."
I find it interesting that while I'm sure he has a problem with the sex, booze and drugs, his primary focus was the "financial decadence" that the prom had become.

However, they still get to go to Disney.

Besides, Laine noted, the senior class still has a four-day trip to Disney World scheduled for April.

"We go to all the parks with our friends," Laine said just before hopping into his jet-black Infiniti and driving off to meet friends for an after-school snack.

"We fly down together and stay in the same hotel and so it's not like we're totally losing everything."

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
When a family is wealthy... and I mean tens of millions... reality becomes a bit ummmm... warped...

life is more of a playground than anything else at that point. Problem rises when that playground is thrust upon adolescents that are not equipped to understand or appreciate it...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
damn... thats it.. next year i am renting my house in the hamptons out for 10,000 a night to Highschool seniors... they will love it!!!!
If i rent it for 2 weekends i wont have to rent it the rest of the summer!!!!!!!!!!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This is the funniest part, IMO:

"The move brought a mixed, albeit passionate, reaction from students and parents at the Roman Catholic school, which is owned by the Society of Mary (Marianists), a religious order of priests and brothers."

:D

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Sonofab*tch......I wanna be warped....I wanna house in the Hamptons.....I wanna black Infiniti.....I wanna lay highschool girls....wait....I think that's illegal to have that much fun.... :mad:

Freaking Roman Catholic New Yorkers....sigh....when will they learn..... :confused: :help: