Quantcast

The race formerly known as "the US Open"

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Anyone go? How was it?

A buddy said that Palmers start-up program was there. I'd assume he was there? Any info on that?

He has a clip of some guy that did the Red Bull Bong Shed drop and got launched into a tree. He came to a dead stop, got up and continued. Man! I'm sure after the finish line he had to go to the hospital.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
It seemed excessive this weekend.This being my 3rd or 4th trip to creek I can't recall the exact number of necessary ambulance rides at each event, but, creek seems to always have the most crashes, and this weekend seemed worse than previous visits.

I know there were 3 pro women who withdrew due to injury, one is still in the hospital with internal injuries (she caught a pedal exiting asylum and was body slammed hard).

I know of one junior expert who was injured friday.

Neko got borked on Saturday afternoon or maybe sunday morning, I don't recall, the heat got to my brain and caused my memory to suck.

I know I saw a good number of other people all patched up, and heard the amberlamps come and go a few more times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
t seemed excessive this weekend.This being my 3rd or 4th trip to creek I can't recall the exact number of necessary ambulance rides at each event, but, creek seems to always have the most crashes, and this weekend seemed worse than previous visits.
big races there always seem to coincide with an unfortunate uptick in the amount of injuries. i've noticed heat can be a contributing factor too, especially this early in the season. it was hot down here this weekend (low 90's), i'm assuming it was hot up there as well

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
It seemed excessive this weekend.This being my 3rd or 4th trip to creek I can't recall the exact number of necessary ambulance rides at each event, but, creek seems to always have the most crashes, and this weekend seemed worse than previous visits.

I know there were 3 pro women who withdrew due to injury, one is still in the hospital with internal injuries (she caught a pedal exiting asylum and was body slammed hard).

I know of one junior expert who was injured friday.

Neko got borked on Saturday afternoon or maybe sunday morning, I don't recall, the heat got to my brain and caused my memory to suck.

I know I saw a good number of other people all patched up, and heard the amberlamps come and go a few more times.
I think I read on Vital that Neko broke his arm. :stosh: if true

Also looked like a lot of people were getting buck-fucked on a big table jump. Even the pros seemed like they were having to "make shapes™" to mitigate the lip somewhat.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think I read on Vital that Neko broke his arm. :stosh: if true

Also looked like a lot of people were getting buck-fucked on a big table jump. Even the pros seemed like they were having to "make shapes™" to mitigate the lip somewhat.
The lip on the hip jump wasn't bad, I just couldn't comfortably go fast enough to clear it but I'm a huge pussy when it comes to jumps and I find mountain creeks to fuck with me more than some other resorts (I am good with senders, not so good with lips), so I didn't spend a lot of time hitting it and went around it in my race run (i found a mini ninja line that set me up better for the following corners anyway (cornering, my other Achilles heal).....I saw a few people get bucked there but nothing I'd actually blame on the jump or the track. I know one person got hurt here with a pretty deep cut on his elbow (I think this is the cat at the beginning of the mountain bike mania video) and I know one of the other pro women broke her arm/wrist there if I have my info straight.

A handful of the injuries took place in the "asylum" rock garden, which is really like one small rock face, I'm told the tape forced a slower entry into the section last year. Seemed many got into trouble here attempting to ride too fast.

The wide open fast and loose ski slope just uphill of asylum was the site of a few crashes as well, fast, loose, lots of flats and or blown up wheels (A friend lost every single spoke out of his front wheel pretty much all at once in there and ended up going OTB).

There was also some bike carnage, not sure of people carnage, up at the top under the chair lift where folks were gapping about 20-30 ft of rock garden. I heard of a snapped frame, and gwin blowing up a rear wheel, but did not witness either myself.

Another friend who didn't take an amberlamps ride did crash pretty good at the cabin/redbull drop, and I saw a few others there as well. The corner after it can be a bit tricky if you came in to that section hotter than you should have.

Finally I saw a couple people (namely one of the pro women I am friends with) take a tumble on the final drop, but I think she went too slow and had her rebound a bit fast.

Neko rode past us on the gator with his bike loaded up and arm all slung up. He didn't look good, kinda pale, from what i saw my guess would have been wrist/forearm or shoulder/collarbone. I'm told it was a forearm and he needed some hardware.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Their jumps have always been lippy and awkward

Edit; the only jumps that are not lippy and awkward are the two wooden kickers on lower dominion / salvation and the little table before the first wall ride on alpine

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
big races there always seem to coincide with an unfortunate uptick in the amount of injuries. i've noticed heat can be a contributing factor too, especially this early in the season. it was hot down here this weekend (low 90's), i'm assuming it was hot up there as well
It was pretty warm, 80/90 and humid. I think it really came down to people pushing too hard to find a few extra seconds, top to bottom the track was fast, didn't have much in the way of pedaling sections, and overall was a short-ish course. So people were pushing hard to find the edge.

read that over in the pinkbike race report. that does in fact suck.

he is sporting a pretty bitchin' mullet, so he has that going for him.
His mullet deserves its own phone number it is so bitchin'

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I was amazed at how fast some of the pros were hitting the Asylum rock garden, Then Gwin came down.:fie: unreal

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Watch my camera Brah! (anyone know the guy w/the camera? Surprised he didn't race).

More proof that VPP's are unridabrul.

p3pb13549592.jpg