Quantcast

the Rampage thread

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A jam format would be interesting for sure but it would reduce some of the drama and I don't see Redbull going for it.

At the very least I'd like to see the judges hold the first round scores until the end of the first round, then do the second round in reverse order (highest scores last). That way the judges could make sure people are scored comparatively based on what everyone is throwing down on the day, and the riders could then decide to push it or not in the second round.

As a subjective event there will always be complaints, but the judges should also be honest about the fact that amplitude and tricks will score higher than creativity in choosing/building your line. Brendog would have scored much higher if the judges truly valued creativity and tech.

A lot of people complain about not having enough time to build and practice, but I'm not sure giving them more time would help. They'd probably just bite off more than they can chew in 10 days as opposed to 8 or whatever, and it would also mean more slopestyle stuff as opposed to the natural lines the event was built on. I think it was Strait who said one of the biggest challenges is reading the terrain and coming up with a line you know you can build and practice on in the given time. Clearly Jordie miscalculated, sickness or not. It sucked to see him hang his head and not even get in a full run.

At the very least I'd like to see the judges hold the first round scores until the end of the first round, then do the second round in reverse order (highest scores last).
This is the only answer. The judges can't shit out an accurate score on the first run because it's not gymnastics with a regulation height pommel horse. The first runs establish the baseline

I guarantee the lowest common denominator NBC viewer in a Chili's won't get bored because they don't get to see a score for awhile. They just wanna see the cars crash

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Maybe just score each run compared to the runs prior instead of doing it on a points based system, and take an average of the judges decisions.

Brandon's run was better than Godiakz. He goes into first place. Van Steenburgen's run was better than Brandons. He goes into first place, and so on. Then the judges don't need to be conservative with their judging to save points for epic runs later. You can have live judging, and riders will be way less likely to get screwed by going early, since the judges won't be comparing their runs with potential future runs, they'll be comparing each run only with what has already happened. Seems like a more simple and overall better system. Somebody can maybe point out some pitfalls, but I'd think there would be a lot of easy ways to set it up.

Anyway, look how cool Brandon's run was. The new gopro is also the first helmet cam that has been smooth enough that I don't hate it after watching 15 seconds of it. Damn that thing looks good in 4k.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just rewatched Deaks "Brits abroad" style Rampage edit from 2015... it shows the size of a lot of the stuff better than the official RB heli footage I think and a different slant on the whole thing and it's still an awesome watch 3 years on.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
[QUOTE="William42, post: 4308105, member: 23494"

Anyway, look how cool Brandon's run was. The new gopro is also the first helmet cam that has been smooth enough that I don't hate it after watching 15 seconds of it. Damn that thing looks good in 4k.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree. First POV I have actually enjoyed, and it did justice of Brandon’s line. Blew my mind.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
New GoPro is smoother than the previous model, but the Rylo and Insta360 are even better from a stability standpoint. GoPro image quality is better though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm not sure we watch it for the scores.

But yeah. Kinda nuts how much pulling tricks a lot of the slopestyle guys can do with their eyes closed increases their score.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm not sure we watch it for the scores.

But yeah. Kinda nuts how much pulling tricks a lot of the slopestyle guys can do with their eyes closed increases their score.
And just riding shovel buffed dirt between tricks.

The top guys for sure deserved their scores but the judges were obviously scoring the first few runs low to allow for improvement and to spread the scores a bit. I don't care much about the results either, but you gotta want riders to be rewarded for their effort and creativity and for riding a different type of line.