Quantcast

the random thought thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Grammar is not my strong suit, but nobody I’ve asked can tell me why you can’t say the sentence, “I don’t know where you’re”. Everyone just seems offended that I would even contemplate trying that. :rofl:

This is covered in the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (CGEL), as it turns out, in Chapter 18, “Inflection Morphology and Related Matters”, section 6, “Phonological reduction and liaison”.

In the discussion of weak and strong forms, CGEL points out that there are certain grammatical contexts that require strong forms, and one of those contexts is something called stranding, where the object of a phrase is preposed (moved before the phrase). These are examples they give of stranding requiring strong forms:

a. Who did you give it [to __ ]?
b. We’ll help you if we [can __].
c. They want me to resign, but I don’t intend [to __].

In each of these cases, the word in the brackets has a weak form, but it cannot be used in this context because its object has been stranded. Of course, in written English, there is no difference between weak and strong forms—it’s only a spoken difference—but clitics are distinguished in written English, and the restriction on weak forms also extends to clitics. (There are additional restrictions on clitics, but they are not relevant to this discussion).

So, thus we can say that the second is in the sentence It is what it [is __] cannot be reduced to either a weak form or to a clitic because of the restriction to strong forms in cases of syntactic stranding.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They got this shit called chain Lube. It works pretty good. I suggest using it. Saves you money, increases drive train performance also. Works like a champ...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Chx marsala pizza. Chopped salad with supah! tasty green goddess dressing.
2nd pie is portobello, shitake, carmelizex onion, and gorgonzola.
20190122_211958.jpg

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
When you're young you tend to side with Luke Skywalker as being all naive and a do-gooder...

But as you get older you start to see why Anakin Skywalker had turned to the dark side.

:nerd:--- > >:(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am a little disappointed that the collapse of society will happen after my physical prime. But it would be better to be in my mental prime anyway. I would rather be a warlord than a warrior.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I really hate clueless drivers. WTF is wrong with you people. The Fire Engine is at the curb with all its red lights going. The Ambulance is pulling up in the turn lane red lights and siren going and needs to make a left into the facility and yet three of you proceed to go when your light changes and cut off the ambulance by making left turns right in its path.:disgust1::disgust1::disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think a lot of people appreciate the precision and craftsmanship required to make a good paper slicer.

What else can sever the fingers of a rival then slice a 100 count stack of all natural hand made card stock for your custom water color Valentine's day cards.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
He doesn't like to be yelled at. He gets upset and gets defensive. He is a large and violent man and when he get pissed it is not a good idea to be near him. As his older brother he takes it out on me.
How do you know that your hearing isn't also bad?

That courtesy phone has been ringing...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If you do things for others. In hopes that others will think of you when you're in need of help from others. Others seldom think of anyone but themselves and for the most part cannot perceive need in others. Do not be disappointed when you find out that simple truth. Nobody ever remembers the help they have received. Always a certainty. Sometimes you need to walk away. The strength you need to walkaway is difficult to muster....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you do things for others. In hopes that others will think of you when you're in need of help from others. Others seldom think of anyone but themselves and for the most part cannot perceive need in others. Do not be disappointed when you find out that simple truth. Nobody ever remembers the help they have received. Always a certainty. Sometimes you need to walk away. The strength you need to walkaway is difficult to muster....
Ship in a bottle project?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I bought somebody a vehicle to get to work. They used it to facilitate a crime. I cut them loose. No job, no car, no money. Now they just sit at home (Moms) and blame others for not helping... Zero fucks given..
So, “to-mah-to”?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wish this site could get a new banner ad, the Park bloke with the whale tale mustache is really starting to shit me.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just discovered that I have gained four pounds over the winter and am not sure how to react. Is it, "OMG, I'm getting fat" or "sweet, I've only gained four ponds while subsisting on a diet of bacon, pizza, ice cream and Mexican Coke" ? Could go either way...