Quantcast

the random thought thread

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A pretty nice article by Salman Rushdie on Kurt Vonnegut's work and Slaughterhouse-five in particular.

thanks for that. I just read it, and it was interesting. One thing that struck me, as someone who works in the field of climate change, is that he described war as inevitable and unstoppable, just like glaciers. Yet here we are, melting the glaciers away. And I wonder if there is a lesson in that? probably not, it's just a literary illustration, but still... I wonder?

Note to a friend in 2000:

having read up a little in my 1951 encyclopedia of chemical technology, and thereby having come to know that we're talking Al2O3, it of course occurs to me to wonder whether, if we were to lay a piece of Cu of just the right sort on one of your pieces of corundum, get the mess in an inert (let's start with N2) atmosphere with maybe 20 ppm O2, and heat it up to 1070 +/-5 deg C for a while (a few minutes, ideally rising from 25 to 1072 in 3 to 3-1/2 min, hold at 1072 for 4 min, cooling profile of the same order...), we wouldn't wind up with ye olde Cu2O eutectic bonding between the two materials? No idea what crystal as opposed to ceramic structure would do to willingness of surface to establish a bond, but it'd seem worth trying...

What sort of odd bits d'ye have in your lab, there, boy?

Or have you already done this?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Note to a friend in 2000:

having read up a little in my 1951 encyclopedia of chemical technology, and thereby having come to know that we're talking Al2O3, it of course occurs to me to wonder whether, if we were to lay a piece of Cu of just the right sort on one of your pieces of corundum, get the mess in an inert (let's start with N2) atmosphere with maybe 20 ppm O2, and heat it up to 1070 +/-5 deg C for a while (a few minutes, ideally rising from 25 to 1072 in 3 to 3-1/2 min, hold at 1072 for 4 min, cooling profile of the same order...), we wouldn't wind up with ye olde Cu2O eutectic bonding between the two materials? No idea what crystal as opposed to ceramic structure would do to willingness of surface to establish a bond, but it'd seem worth trying...

What sort of odd bits d'ye have in your lab, there, boy?

Or have you already done this?
The process of fusing Karat gold to silver is also called eutectic bonding and is achieved via the copper in the gold and sterling. Some Karats, such as 14K, contain a significant amount of copper making it easier to bond. It's very difficult to control. Took me eight years to learn. Can you imagine that, eight freakin years to become proficient at fusing.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My sleep last nite was the color of soft white light with light-amber highlights & it had a soft, glowing, pale blue base.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I feel like I dodged death by too little last Friday. I took the car to the mechanic to have the tires rotated a couple of days before. On Friday evening, coming home from work, at the rush hour, on the highway's fast lane, doing 80 mph, the front left wheel decided to separate itself from the rest of the car.

Time froze, I looked to my right and all I could see was a legion of cars, sparks flying at my left from the disc brake rubbing on the pavement, the left wheel bumped into the wall separating the two ways of the highway and exploded. I tripped the hazard lights on, put the stick in neutral and began slowly steering to my left while gently pushing the brake pedal. I managed to stop the car about 500 feet after, as close to the dividing wall as I could. Before I could even think, the missing wheel reached me and bumped into my car. As a robot I opened the door, walked to the back of my car, opened the trunk, threw the wheel in, closed it, went back into my car and put the seat belt back on. Then I fetched my phone and called the highway's emergency services, and my wife.

The assistance took about ten minutes to arrive. Until then, maybe a hundred cars flew by my right side, at 80-90 miles an hour. My car shaking from the air they thrusted. Ironically I feared them more than the almost automated maneuver I managed to pull off to stop the car.

I almost cried when one of the tow crew members told me how lucky I got, since I didn't hit any other cars, the missing wheel didn't cause any other tragedies, or any other possible derivations.

Last edited:
I feel like I dodged death by too little last Friday. I took the car to the mechanic to have the tires rotated a couple of days before. On Friday evening, coming home from work, at the rush hour, ok the highway's fast lane, doing 80 mph, the front left wheel decided to separate from the rest of the car.

Time froze, I looked to my right and all I could see was a legion of cars, sparks flying at my left from the disc brake rubbing on the pavement, the left wheel bumped into the wall separating the two ways of the highway and exploded. I tripped the hazard lights on, put the stick in neutral and began slowly steering to my left while gently pushing the brake pedal. I managed to stop the car about 500 feet after, as close to the dividing wall as I could. Before I could even think, the missing wheel reached me and bumped into my car. As a robot I opened the door, walked to the back of my car, opened the trunk, threw the wheel in, closed it, went back into my car and put the seat belt back on. Then I fetched my phone and called the highway's emergency services, and my wife.

The assistance took about ten minutes to arrive. Until then, maybe a hundred cars flew by my right side, at 80-90 miles an hour. My car shaking from the air they thrusted. Ironically I feared them more than the almost automated maneuver I managed to pull off to stop the car.

I almost cried when one of the tow crew members told me how lucky I got, since I didn't hit any other cars, the missing wheel didn't cause any other tragedies, or any other possible derivations.
Wow, glad to hear that you and others are uninjured!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Wow, glad to hear that you and others are uninjured!
Thanks, I still don't understand how the fuck everything went so well. I mean, the highway was completely stacked. But believe me, I'm more than happy the way things turned out.

Now I need to decide between getting a good lawyer or going right to the mechanic and do my own justice.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Living in Australia is rad, 11PM, hear a bang at the door so I go see who's there.

It's a 6ft python, went to get my camera, came back and the snake was sniffing the door handle, hahaha!
It must be living in the roof, I've heard some noises and assumed it was a rat or small possum, luckily it's too big to come down through the heat lamps in the bathrooms so I should be in bed alone as usual tonight.

Annoyingly the camera had no card in it then I grabbed one which was formatted for another camera, derrrr.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Living in Australia is rad, 11PM, hear a bang at the door so I go see who's there.

It's a 6ft python, went to get my camera, came back and the snake was sniffing the door handle, hahaha!
It must be living in the roof, I've heard some noises and assumed it was a rat or small possum, luckily it's too big to come down through the heat lamps in the bathrooms so I should be in bed alone as usual tonight.
You don’t have to be alone, why, just invite the python in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am only speaking in Trump from now on when posting on our local mtb facebook page. Conditions were terrible, I fell on the ice, freaking wind blowing me off the trail, horrible conditions:

Middle Fork is really really tremendous right now, believe me! It only has the best conditions right now. People tell me that anyone that doesn't ride it right now is a loser. Bike Magazine called me to tell me I was PROBABLY going to be the mountain bike rider of the year. There is NO PROOF at all that the trail is icy! Even FOX NEWS agrees with me! Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart. I heard poorly rated Anchorage fat-bikers are avoiding this trail, then how come I just totally cleaned it? FATBIKING IS GREAT!
It's so good, believe me. It's really, really tremendous. And everybody keeps telling me how good it is.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks, I still don't understand how the fuck everything went so well. I mean, the highway was completely stacked. But believe me, I'm more than happy the way things turned out.

Now I need to decide between getting a good lawyer or going right to the mechanic and do my own justice.
Well done, made me think of this-

How much damage was done to your car, did it drop low enough to damage the bumper and undercarriage?
Should just be a new disc and pads, and maybe a caliper if the top of the disc mushroomed enough to cut in to it.
I'd at least do pistons/seals and if it's a sliding caliper disassemble it to check that it is all still straight and safe.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Speaking to Counsel is a good idea. However it as very hard to prove Mechanic Malpractice. Cars and their owners are rather fallible. Not that I saying you're fallible. Finding another Mechanic to testify would also probably be problematic. You can easily find out if your Mechanic has previous judgements against him. Your Insurance agent could assist you better then counsel probably.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Speaking to Counsel is a good idea. However it as very hard to prove Mechanic Malpractice. Cars and their owners are rather fallible. Not that I saying you're fallible. Finding another Mechanic to testify would also probably be problematic. You can easily find out if your Mechanic has previous judgements against him. Your Insurance agent could assist you better then counsel probably.
Thanks, it's almost 2020 down here and I've decided just to wish that MoFo gets the worst case of testicular cancer in the world.

How much damage was done to your car, did it drop low enough to damage the bumper and undercarriage?
Should just be a new disc and pads, and maybe a caliper if the top of the disc mushroomed enough to cut in to it.
I'd at least do pistons/seals and if it's a sliding caliper disassemble it to check that it is all still straight and safe.
The suspension bushings got wrecked, the disc lost about 4cm after grinding against the tarmac, the blew up and I had to get the rim fixed. That was pretty much all of it.

IMG_20191231_225207_146.jpg

I took that picture after getting towed out of the highway.

Anyway, I'm about 8 pints of IPA/APA away from the new year, surrounded by friends, family and my pets. We have an ideal 25C temperature. So best wishes for all the monkeys out there who haven't embraced e-biking, 29ers or that e-sports biking shit out there!!!

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thanks, it's almost 2020 down here and I've decided just to wish that MoFo gets the worst case of testicular cancer in the world.

The suspension bushings got wrecked, the disc lost about 4cm after grinding against the tarmac, the blew up and I had to get the rim fixed. That was pretty much all of it.

View attachment 139721

I took that picture after getting towed out of the highway.

Anyway, I'm about 8 pints of IPA/APA away from the new year, surrounded by friends, family and my pets. We have an ideal 25C temperature. So best wishes for all the monkeys out there who haven't embraced e-biking, 29ers or that e-sports biking shit out there!!!
To you too....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I need to start researching when Magpies hatch, so I can raise one from hand & teach it to talk & ride on my shoulder.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
When getting new fillings installed, don’t watch “I Think You Should Leave” on the ceiling TV.

It turns into something akin to church giggles.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The patent on ratchet ring spanners expires this year, hopefully people can start making them in house to higher standards rather than having to farm the construction out to Taiwan.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
A coworker mentioned the other day that she is super excited about having tickets to an upcoming Nickelback concert. I almost laughed out loud until I realized that she wasn't being sarcastic. People actually like Nickelback?!?!?!?
:blink: