Quantcast

the random thought thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd wondered my entire childhood how an entire population could be duped into following a regime like the 3rd Reich; the propaganda, the hate, the complete disregard for your countrymen etc...

Thanks to a virus, a fully funded propaganda network, and the effects of a persistently degraded education system, I now fully understand how things like that happen.

U.S. Geological Survey Circular, Volumes 995, USGS Research on Mineral Resources - 1987 Programs and Abstracts

Page 4

Epigenetic Uranium Mineralization in the Precambrian Mount Holly Complex
Robert A. Ayuso and Charles A. Ratté

Epigenetic uranium-bearing veins and pegmatitic pods and lenses are disseminated widely in the Precambrian Mount Holly Complex in the Green Mountains in Vermont. These occurrances represent probably the largest bedrock uranium occurrance sknown in New England. Mineralized rocks at Okemo Mountain and Jamaica are on the eastern flank of the Green Mountain anticlinorium and may be related to the Taconic orogeny (about 380 m.y).

Disseminated uranium mineralization is found in a wide variety of rock types ranging from feldspathic gneisses and pegmatite-rich rocks at Jamaica to cataclastically deformed rusty quartzites, schists, and calsilicates at Okemo Mountain. In both areas, but especially the latter, a significant association exists between highly mineralized areas and quartz-tourmaline rocks. The veins are mineralogically simple and vary in width from about 10 cm to a few meters. They contain uraninite, small amounts of bannerite, and uranophane as the important uranium-bearing minerals. At Okemo Mountain, uranium veins are hosted by epidote-chlorite-garnet-white mica-tourmaline-quartz rocks. Mineralized rocks are concentrated near shear zones in rusty quartzitic schists (epidote-tourmaline-magnetite-pyrite-hematite-chlorite-white mica-quartz) and granitic gneisses (epidote-tourmaline-microcline-perthite-quartz). In the Jamaica area, the host rocks range from quartzitic and schistose rocks (garnet-chlorite-biotite-white mica-quartz), which are generally similar to those in Okemo Mountain, to thinly banded feldspathic gneisses (epidote-allanite-microcline-perthite-quartz) and pegmatite-rich gneisses (allanite-epidote-white mica-perthite-quartz).

Bulk rock compositions of the mineralized units are highly variable. No strong correlations between uranium content and silica or between uranium and most other major elements are observed. High values for Fe2O3/FeO are found in many of the mineralized samples. Values for U3O8 range from 0.2 to 0.6 percent in the mineralized veins, and anomalous values as high as 22.0 percent have been recorded. Ratios of thorium to uranium vary from <0.01 to >10. Trace element variations are not related to the uranium content of the rocks. Total rare earth element (REE) content of the host rocks is widely variable and is relatively low (generally <300 ppm for total REE content, except in some samples where it is as high as 1,500 ppm). The most significant trace element covariation at Okemo Mountain is that for uranium and boron, which is in agreement with the observed association of mineralized veins and quartz-tourmaline rocks.

The low total content of REE in the mineralized zones and their uncorrelated nature with respect to uranium argue against the origin of the widely disseminated mineralization by direct derivation from anatectic melts. The mineralized areas are best characterized as products of pegmatic rocks remobilized by oxidized and boron-rich fluids formed in response to the Taconian and (or) Acadian orogenies. Migration of these fluids probably was controlled by the regional development of fractures and shear zones.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
U.S. Geological Survey Circular, Volumes 995, USGS Research on Mineral Resources - 1987 Programs and Abstracts

Page 4

Epigenetic Uranium Mineralization in the Precambrian Mount Holly Complex
Robert A. Ayuso and Charles A. Ratté

Epigenetic uranium-bearing veins and pegmatitic pods and lenses are disseminated widely in the Precambrian Mount Holly Complex in the Green Mountains in Vermont. These occurrances represent probably the largest bedrock uranium occurrance sknown in New England. Mineralized rocks at Okemo Mountain and Jamaica are on the eastern flank of the Green Mountain anticlinorium and may be related to the Taconic orogeny (about 380 m.y).

Disseminated uranium mineralization is found in a wide variety of rock types ranging from feldspathic gneisses and pegmatite-rich rocks at Jamaica to cataclastically deformed rusty quartzites, schists, and calsilicates at Okemo Mountain. In both areas, but especially the latter, a significant association exists between highly mineralized areas and quartz-tourmaline rocks. The veins are mineralogically simple and vary in width from about 10 cm to a few meters. They contain uraninite, small amounts of bannerite, and uranophane as the important uranium-bearing minerals. At Okemo Mountain, uranium veins are hosted by epidote-chlorite-garnet-white mica-tourmaline-quartz rocks. Mineralized rocks are concentrated near shear zones in rusty quartzitic schists (epidote-tourmaline-magnetite-pyrite-hematite-chlorite-white mica-quartz) and granitic gneisses (epidote-tourmaline-microcline-perthite-quartz). In the Jamaica area, the host rocks range from quartzitic and schistose rocks (garnet-chlorite-biotite-white mica-quartz), which are generally similar to those in Okemo Mountain, to thinly banded feldspathic gneisses (epidote-allanite-microcline-perthite-quartz) and pegmatite-rich gneisses (allanite-epidote-white mica-perthite-quartz).

Bulk rock compositions of the mineralized units are highly variable. No strong correlations between uranium content and silica or between uranium and most other major elements are observed. High values for Fe2O3/FeO are found in many of the mineralized samples. Values for U3O8 range from 0.2 to 0.6 percent in the mineralized veins, and anomalous values as high as 22.0 percent have been recorded. Ratios of thorium to uranium vary from <0.01 to >10. Trace element variations are not related to the uranium content of the rocks. Total rare earth element (REE) content of the host rocks is widely variable and is relatively low (generally <300 ppm for total REE content, except in some samples where it is as high as 1,500 ppm). The most significant trace element covariation at Okemo Mountain is that for uranium and boron, which is in agreement with the observed association of mineralized veins and quartz-tourmaline rocks.

The low total content of REE in the mineralized zones and their uncorrelated nature with respect to uranium argue against the origin of the widely disseminated mineralization by direct derivation from anatectic melts. The mineralized areas are best characterized as products of pegmatic rocks remobilized by oxidized and boron-rich fluids formed in response to the Taconian and (or) Acadian orogenies. Migration of these fluids probably was controlled by the regional development of fractures and shear zones.
My wife is from one of the uranium ore mining regions in CZ. Pretty much everyone in her family died of various forms of cancer.
On a different topic - have you heard of Oklo natural fission reactor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

The Vermont Statutes Online

Title 13 : Crimes And Criminal Procedure
Chapter 019 : Breach Of The Peace; Disturbances
Subchapter 004 : Other Disturbances Of The Peace
(Cite as: 13 V.S.A. § 1022)
§ 1022. Noise in the nighttime

A person who, between sunset and sunrise, disturbs and breaks the public peace by firing guns, blowing horns, or other unnecessary and offensive noise shall be fined not more than $50.00. However, this section shall not prevent a person employing workers, for the purpose of giving notice to his or her employees, from ringing bells or using whistles or gongs of such size and weight, in such manner, and at such hours as the selectboard members of the town, the aldermen of the city, or the trustees of the village may prescribe in writing.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Happy wife = happy life is utter bullshit

Do I want my wife to be unhappy? No. Do I want to sacrifice what makes me happy to ensure she's always happy? Also no.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The best thing I ever did for my wife was taking her 4,000 miles away from her bully mother.
Glad to hear it.

I take umbrage with the idea that a husband's happiness should be secondary to his wife's. That's not how a healthy marriage should work. Compromise is a two way street. Both people involved should do their best to make the other happy.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was young. I went to a show in CT. The crowd started rioting. Someone threw a Bottle at the Singer. The band left the stage. I left also. Everyone who stayed got the Shit Kicked out of them by the Police.
My neighborhood is on lockdown. All the stores on the AVE are boarded up. I need to leave here before I choke a bitch...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not sure if I'd eat more or less pistachios if I bought the de-shelled type, I enjoy peeling them but the pile of shells makes me feel bad about how many I have eaten.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I want to figure a way to join a Formula One Race Team. That way somebody will give me a Ferrari. Or a McClaren. Either way I am good... I suppose I could win a few races while I am at it...

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You can lead a Horse to Water... But it is rather difficult to make them do a bonghit. Their neck muscles are very strong and they don't like smoke being blown into their face as you grab their bridle... Pretty much always...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Tonight I was listening to some electronic music and had settled on some sort of pasta dish for dinner, then I cracked a beer, decided listening to some punk music whilst cooking a BBQ was a better option, so I did that
I was elbows deep in to the BBQ and "Fast Food Fist Fuck" came on, I thought that was pretty funny.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Amazing how many people in the Ring network report coyote sightings. Like somehow they are surprised that there are coyotes living among us, or that you should hide yo kids hide yo wife before the big bad coyote comes to eat them all. I don't get it.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I like taking my kids to the graveyard next door. It’s like a nice grassy park where I can drink beer and my kids can run around and nobody talks to you or even comes close. Mostly because not many people hang out with kids in a graveyard.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
It has to be possible to make a video of skillful riding without featuring skidding and rooster tails.
The Jeff Lenosky trail boss series is pretty darn good, with minimal 'bro shredding the gnar' vibe. Just a talented guy easily riding stuff us mere mortals struggle mightily with.

I have come to the realization that I am not scared of death, but am scared of dying.
Samesies. The idea of having no consciousness, despite not having the consciousness to know that, is utterly terrifying.

Hot and dry with a south wind, brown grasses that crunch when walked on. Harry the long haired black cat and I are beside the camping trailer being mildly pestered by deer flies. A sugar maple tree nearby has a split between two twelve inch leaders, an incipient disaster that will manifest itself in some wind or ice storm with a rending crack and a crash. Limestone ledge dips perhaps thirty degrees and strikes southwest towards the house. Moss wraps itself around the top and sides of the ledge; with water, it will transition from brown to bright green, seemingly in an hour. White pines have been truncating themselves in windstorms for a year or two now. Released by light, raspberries arise and hardwood saplings, having been waiting for years, building roots, spring for the sun. Leaf cover on the ground is constantly roiled by turkeys, sometimes flattened by a sleeping white tailed deer or a fox. Both walk at night, the deer using the saplings as a buffet. The saplings know about deer, about beaver, about falling limbs, curl around, reach for the sun, our mother's breast, our God. Beneath all this, water pools and runs unseen, roots intertwine, share nutrients and news of the world, stabilize each the other. The community lives in flux; new members, introduced by the upright apes, move in, edge others out, survive or don't, as do the moving beasts. The rains, the sun, the wind, the soils, disturbed by the two-legged ones, change, not as rapidly as when driven by asteroid or volcano, but with more permanence, with materials before non-existent, rivers choked by dams, soil poisoned by thousands of previously uncommon or absent substances. The two-leg will stumble, will fall, the world Mother will cleanse and rediversify in her own time and fashion, the infection calling itself man will be never remembered. We wound our Mother; she moves on.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Why is it that some people have stomps for walks? My dad and mother in law are this way; anywhere they walk in the house it sounds like someone wearing cement clogs immitating river dance.