Quantcast

the random thought thread

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I had almost convinced myself that I could justify the cost of a Kingdom Party Stripper and then saw that they are made in China, the price and barn built looks made it a huge deal breaker.
made in China? The party stripper look pretty cool otherwise. I’m looking at the lynskey Nantucket. Pricey for a cruiser/gravel bike. But......titanium and I need a bike with gears for bike stuff that isn’t mountain biking.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
made in China? The party stripper look pretty cool otherwise. I’m looking at the lynskey Nantucket. Pricey for a cruiser/gravel bike. But......titanium and I need a bike with gears for bike stuff that isn’t mountain biking.
Yeah, loads are and that's fine but not at that price.
I have had no dealings with Lynskey but forums seem to suggest that they crack a bit and warranty can be a bit shitty.
Not Ti but I recently bought my old man a Whyte Stirling and it is pretty sweet for what it cost.
I would have liked to have bought this as it is Cr-Mo but it was out of budget, basically XC MTB geo-
1598009275859.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Take a look at the Planet X Ti bikes. Made in China, but at a price that reflects this. Lately they haven't had any of the great sales that they used to have, so a little more pricey than usual. I have the Tempest and Pickenflick and like them a lot.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Not to say a klunker look in titanium is as hipster as it could be. It even trumps dentite Yeti buyers.
why it’s a random thought. I like curves and bare metal though I won’t deny that. My old schwinn’s suck with all the hills around here. but they don’t crack.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
why it’s a random thought. I like curves and bare metal though I won’t deny that. My old schwinn’s suck with all the hills around here. but they don’t crack.

Do you know the Merlin Newsboy? That existed before hipsters.
I know, I was just being too salty to taste. My apologies. I dreamed of a Merlin frame since I saw them in a magazine back in the early 90s. Although I think I'd go for a more traditional/"squarer" look if I had the chance to pick one up.

BTW, back in the day I remember titanium frames were priced like rockets because they were built with aeronautical grade tube remnants (seamless, pressure certified and all of that). At some point after the turn of the century a new, simpler and cheaper series of tubing and titanium components emerged in Russia, and you could even find cheap titanium spokes in eBay pretty easily. And these days prices seem to have gone up again. I wonder what happened in between...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
BTW, back in the day I remember titanium frames were priced like rockets because they were built with aeronautical grade tube remnants (seamless, pressure certified and all of that). At some point after the turn of the century a new, simpler and cheaper series of tubing and titanium components emerged in Russia, and you could even find cheap titanium spokes in eBay pretty easily. And these days prices seem to have gone up again. I wonder what happened in between...
Lots of Russian military equipment made out of Ti got decommissioned, that made a lot of Ti available on the market. Later the higher demand from other industries increased the prices of the raw material, but you still can get pretty reasonable priced Ti bikes and frames if you go made in China. Now the cheap Ti bikes even have seamless tubing, sometimes even butted tubes, which of course also increases cost.
Demand for cheap Ti bikes is lower these days, that type of buyer goes cheap carbon instead.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Just read some analysis from a guy who studied philosophy about how Kant, Hegel and Nietzsche are all visible in the way "Dark" treats how we deal with the life/death conundrum.

Oh boy, zee Germanz do have such a need for tragedy in their lives... Or "you are born only to be dead in the end".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Parking Garages downtown. Find a saw horse at a construction site. Repatriate it along with a super long pallet and a long floor matt for the lead up. Also repatriate a 4 x 8 piece of plywood to the garage. Set things up however you see fit. Take the elevator to the top and ride down. So much fun. The one by me is 6 levels. The no brake challenge is regrettable. Nobody has made it yet.
Until the parking garage collapses

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Until the parking garage collapses
That Garage used to be on the 10 at the top ride. It collapsed in the winter as I recall. Our ramps and barriers are still up. The skateboard kids have setup stuff on it also. So far so good. Security sits around and leaves us alone.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My local bakery can't make a beef pie for the life of them, but God damn they can make tasty satay and butter chicken pies.
1598708859187.png

Basil and olive sourdough is pretty decent too.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The older I get, the more I realize you can love someone without being in love with them. There are a multitude of people in my life that I love and treasure, in a purely platonic fashion, just as there are plenty that I traditionally should love, but am ambivalent towards.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There is contention that usage of the words niggardly and niggle, despite not having racist origins or connotations, are unnecessary and inadvisable to use. I suppose that would mean nagger is also off the table. Maybe dike too? When does phonetically similar, yet worlds apart in meaning, mean a word is no longer okay to use?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
There is contention that usage of the words niggardly and niggle, despite not having racist origins or connotations, are unnecessary and inadvisable to use. I suppose that would mean nagger is also off the table. Maybe dike too? When does phonetically similar, yet worlds apart in meaning, mean a word is no longer okay to use?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just noticed @kidwoo's current avitar and now I'm wondering if he likes Ministry or just the sybolism of the Amerikkant cover artwork

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Once in a meeting at a supplier when my temper boiled over I declared that I didn't fly all the way there to waste my time arguing niggling details. I immediately broke out in a sweat not knowing the root or origin of the word. Later that day I looked it up and thankfully realize I had broken no protocols.

With out knowing the actual origin, and using it in a negative connotation I think it is safe to assume it was derived from a negative place. I think with most languages one would be correct in that assumption. But the great challenge with English being the summation of several other languages, there are no standard rules and one should not expect people to understand origins, so it is just safer to avoid such terms.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Every time I email this one coworker, with my boss cc'd, he never responds to the email but calls me instead.

Almost like he's trying to not have a paper trail.... hmmm :disgust1:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Every time I email this one coworker, with my boss cc'd, he never responds to the email but calls me instead.

Almost like he's trying to not have a paper trail.... hmmm :disgust1:
I've had a boss specifically tell me to communicate by phone primarily as there would be nothing to tie you to things you say. Which, even if you dont have anything to hide, sounds sketchy as hell.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd imagine back in 1992 the Ministry song/lyrics were pertaining to imaginary one. You know the son of that guy Americans like to say is above their nation.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I went for a walk. All these Restaurants that have opened with outdoor service are awesome. I love it. Some of them have become quite good at it. So here it gets cold and it seems sadly that they will all close. The Virus is still with us here. As far as I know. I am just going forth that it is. Being as a person who has health deficiencies. I don't think I will be able to take advantage of any indoor dining options comfortably. This breaks my heart as I enjoy dining. I appreciate creative cooking, baking, and drinking at a Bar serviced by an experienced bartender. I can afford to pay for the privilege. I am sure I am not alone here. All those folks in the employed in the Food Service world. What will they do until the Spring?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Still marvel at the fact that I wore glasses/contacts for 20 years, then someone shot my eyeball with laser for less than a minute and here I am, several years removed, with no need for vision correction. Its magical.