Quantcast

the random thought thread

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What is the point of putting up a political sign in your yard? Its not going to change any minds, and per averages, 50% of the people that drive by will judge you negatively for it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A dumbass near us has a bunch of homemade mango signs and mango draining the swap etc. All of the surrounding homes have Biden, Harris ones.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A dumbass near us has a bunch of homemade mango signs and mango draining the swap etc. All of the surrounding homes have Biden, Harris ones.
Things transition from Biden to Trump signs here as you get out to the 'burbs. And of course that also transitions into giant signs and Trump spray painted on discarded washing machines placed in front yards.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I only recently found out that it's not always a requirement to add an apostrophe to 'its'.
I'd just add an apostrophe thinking it made it possessive, instead it made me look like a knuckle dragging Luddite. I'm the type of person that will giggle if I hear someone say "expecially" or "pacific" instead of "specific". Glass houses and all that......

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Had a wonderful evening showing my millennial niece some classic cinema:

The best part was her realizing how shitty the Wayans Bros serial crap was after watching Airplane.

Tomorrow we'll be showing her Top Secret, and then The Naked Gun.

EDIT: This one always reminds me of the :monkey: :

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Cameron Peak fire in CO has now burned ~200,000 acres. That's the same size as all five boroughs of NYC.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cameron Peak fire in CO has now burned ~200,000 acres. That's the same size as all five boroughs of NYC.
For some adtl context - That's larger than the San Francisco peninsula which is only 35k; Seattle is only 54k; Atlanta is 88k; Raleigh is 94k; Chicago which is 145k; and Denver is 155k.

And when looking on larger geographical scales, the state of Rhode Island is 1mm acres. 20% of the size of RI has burned in this fire... The snow can't come soon enough.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I only recently found out that it's not always a requirement to add an apostrophe to 'its'.
I'd just add an apostrophe thinking it made it possessive, instead it made me look like a knuckle dragging Luddite. I'm the type of person that will giggle if I hear someone say "expecially" or "pacific" instead of "specific". Glass houses and all that......
Contractions or ownership.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have a love/hate relationship with tubeless. Love it on the trails, hate it on the bike shack. My previous batch of homemade sealant dried up on the tires, so I decided to go for a full overhaul, given it's been pouring rain like there's no tomorrow since a week ago. First the kapton tape refused to reliability stick to the rim bed, then I couldn't get the valve stem to seal, then the friggin rear tire started weeping like a widow on a funeral...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Paging @Toshi

Do organs have a life expectancy? Like say, assuming immune responses could be controlled so the transplanted organ was never rejected, could it go from patient to patient (assuming you keep it going to young, healthy people) and keep on ticking forever? Or do they wear out?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's like, whoa, man

I believe that individual organs do indeed wear out. Like a deceased donor kidney transplant is expected to last for fewer years before crapping out than one from a healthy, young living donor.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Paging @Toshi

Do organs have a life expectancy? Like say, assuming immune responses could be controlled so the transplanted organ was never rejected, could it go from patient to patient (assuming you keep it going to young, healthy people) and keep on ticking forever? Or do they wear out?

You shopping cut-rate kidneys on Craigslist?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Introverts working from home during quarantine:
"This is amazing. I hope I don't ever have to go back to the office. Just think of all the time and money I'm saving not commuting, not to mention how much more productive I am without all of the distractions!"

Extroverts working from home during quarantine:
"I thrive on people and interactions because I can't stand being alone with myself. I am an energy succubus. Everyone should go back to the office full time because I work better that way and they should too."

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Introverts working from home during quarantine:
"This is amazing. I hope I don't ever have to go back to the office. Just think of all the time and money I'm saving not commuting, not to mention how much more productive I am without all of the distractions!"

Extroverts working from home during quarantine:
"I thrive on people and interactions because I can't stand being alone with myself. I am an energy succubus. Everyone should go back to the office full time because I work better that way and they should too."
Me during quarantine: "I've been WFH for 12 years, so nothing has really changed, other than my 8 years old kid screaming into my WebEx meetings every now and then".

YMMV

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I liked it better early on when ~90% of the office was WFH, we didn't have to get scanned/questioned every morning coming in, and masks weren't enforced on site. Felt like working in a giant, abandoned lab.

Still had to wear pants though, so it wasn't quite paradise.