Quantcast

the random thought thread

In spite of honouring the thread title, I shall note until very recently in my town (La Plata) some of the traffic lights were the original German Siemens ones from the WW2. They were part of the spoils of war Argentina got after declaring war on Zee Germanz once they were defeated.

Some of the Nazi generals such as Erich Priebke ended up hiding here shortly after, but that's a story for a different time.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm

I'm actually eyeing Pine64's PinePhone, which will run KDE as its desktop environment:

This will be able to run Android, Lineage or Android, I love QWERTY keypads-
1606132062067.png

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This will be able to run Android, Lineage or Android, I love QWERTY keypads-
View attachment 152745
The guys at El Reg weren't very impressed at the announcement. I'm holding off until they render their final verdict.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Weather Barbie on Denver CBS evening news has plastic surgery which gets worse every week and scares me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't realize this was such a big problem. :(

Windows key + arrows is another most don't know about. But when they do...
Oooh, that is quite handy, took me a bit to work out what was going on as I had two browsers with similar pages open.
Shift+Backspace was another I found by accident, I should just print out a list so I actually use some shortcuts.

Glad I couldn't get a Gigaset phone direct from their store, turns out they miss a frequency that I need, went a HTC something something instead.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A coworker decided to get into mountain biking and for a first bike bought a 2019 transition patrol. Am I wrong in thinking an extremely capable enduro bike is a bad bike to learn on? It seems like it will cover your ass when making a mistake until you go big enough and it doesn't.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
A coworker decided to get into mountain biking and for a first bike bought a 2019 transition patrol. Am I wrong in thinking an extremely capable enduro bike is a bad bike to learn on? It seems like it will cover your ass when making a mistake until you go big enough and it doesn't.
What's the point of advancing technology and equipment if you can't take advantage of it?

IDGAF what people want to ride or can ride if it means getting into the sport. Just stay the fuck out of my way if you suck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What's the point of advancing technology and equipment if you can't take advantage of it?

IDGAF what people want to ride or can ride if it means getting into the sport. Just stay the fuck out of my way if you suck.

I am not questioning it because I think someone needs to pay their dues with a fully rigid singlespeed first. I just question if it is the best way to learn. I didn't ride a hardtail for close to 15 years. I picked one up earlier in the year and I feel like it made me a better rider as a big full suspension bike allowed me to get away with poor form.

A few weeks ago Splat posted a picture of a friend landing something with his suspension completely bottomed out, with his arms and knees perfectly straight and locked.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I think where you ride makes a lot more impact on learning than what you ride. I've always ridden full suspension since my first real bike 25 years ago, but I've also been riding very rocky and rootu technical trails since then too. As a result I feel like I can ride most anything on virtually any bike you put me on to a degree.

A high-end bike can make things easier or compensate for a lot of mistakes, but terrain that requires bike handling, balance and technical skills will make you a much better rider than any bike could.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Did he buy the obligatory $500 protection kit?
We saw this all summer, people on bikes that would shame a dentist, suited up with armor and full face and riding like they've never own a bicycle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did he buy the obligatory $500 protection kit?
We saw this all summer, people on bikes that would shame a dentist, suited up with armor and full face and riding like they've never own a bicycle.

He got it because his 5 year old son saw a Danny McCaskill video and wanted to try that. So he used that as excuse to get himself and his son some bikes.

He has only gone to a local place called Duthie hill which has a great setup for people with kids. Pump track and beginner skill features in the middle with a few fun short XC loops and jump lines. I have offered to introduce him to more adult oriented stuff when he is ready.

I saw a lot of people dust off old Klein Mantras and head up to trails they had no business trying to ride. But on a good note I saw this small group of Mexican kids riding some garbage Walmart bikes at the beginning of the summer on some of the easier trails. Later in the summer I saw them on what seemed to be smartly purchased used bikes on some proper trails and doing a fine job of it.