Quantcast

the random thought thread

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, HGTV has cultivated an unrealistic expectation that anyone can renovate and do home improvements. This is patently false, and some people should not be allowed to own tools.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm drywalling.
I have the utmost faith in your drywalling abilities.

Tips:

- if you've got an oscillating tool, get one of these for cutting out boxes, as doing it with a utility knife blows: https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical-box-cutout-saw-for-oscillating-multi-tools-56666.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTUzOTYwMDIiLCJza3UiOiI1NjY2NiIsImlzIjoiMTIuNzQxNSJ9&cid=paid_google|||56666&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlNf-BRB_EiwA2osbxRilfUhipWcm7PvVSBDAx6sLFJVg2CpR3LBLhRVACmysenEEsreC1xoCtrQQAvD_BwE
- get a drywall bit for your driver so the screw heads are buried an appropriate depth below the surface
- spread that mud thin! I'd rather do more coats of mud than sanding. Get it right while mudding, cause sanding is messy and time consuming. Make sure to keep a good amount of pressure on the knife
- a nice bright work light in the area will help illuminate areas that need attention

Good luck and Godspeed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Tips:

- if you've got an oscillating tool, get one of these for cutting out boxes, as doing it with a utility knife blows: https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical-box-cutout-saw-for-oscillating-multi-tools-56666.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTUzOTYwMDIiLCJza3UiOiI1NjY2NiIsImlzIjoiMTIuNzQxNSJ9&cid=paid_google|||56666&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlNf-BRB_EiwA2osbxRilfUhipWcm7PvVSBDAx6sLFJVg2CpR3LBLhRVACmysenEEsreC1xoCtrQQAvD_BwE
- get a drywall bit for your driver so the screw heads are buried an appropriate depth below the surface
- spread that mud thin! I'd rather do more coats of mud than sanding. Get it right while mudding, cause sanding is messy and time consuming. Make sure to keep a good amount of pressure on the knife
- a nice bright work light in the area will help illuminate areas that need attention

Good luck and Godspeed.
I'm not planning on adding any outlets at this point, but I'll bookmark for future reference in case I decide to in the future (I do have an oscillating tool). Electrical isn't part of the project right now, but certainly a future possibility. It's not a huge section of wall I'm adding.

edit: and now someone tells me about drywall bits

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Tips:

Good luck and Godspeed.
the best advice I ever got for mudding was to water thin more and more as you apply coats.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I love having access to all sorts of equipment and materials at work to make stuff that would otherwise be a PITA to get or cost more than it should. In the past few weeks I've machined a coil spacer for a friend because the coil he ordered was about 1/8" too short (ordered Avy coil for a Vivid), and a couple conical discs in a larger diameter so he can use his bearing press as a headset press too.

3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
How can Mission Impossible continue on its current trajectory? I dare say after several times accomplishing the "impossible", these missions should be regarded as highly improbable, but certainly not impossible.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Aside from all the covid stuff, my least favourite part of 2020 was when "inspiration" turned in to "inspo".
What's next "syllable" turns in to "syl" because it has too many syllables?
Fuck I'm old!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How can Mission Impossible continue on its current trajectory? I dare say after several times accomplishing the "impossible", these missions should be regarded as highly improbable, but certainly not impossible.
Stealing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
To be fair, I would not want these chemicals injected directly into my blood. By eating an apple only selected ones of these end up in your body as the gastrointestinal tract is technically still considered "outside". :nerd:
Cooking oil is also no good to inject-
1609191017048.png

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
On a related matter, has anyone here got enchilado? Like when you start sweating a lot from eating heavy hitting chiles and then you trip a bit.

I haven't been into that zone in a while now that I think about it. Might justify a visit to the local spicy grocery store before EOY...

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
On a related matter, has anyone here got enchilado? Like when you start sweating a lot from eating heavy hitting chiles and then you trip a bit.

I haven't been into that zone in a while now that I think about it. Might justify a visit to the local spicy grocery store before EOY...
Order a few Carolina Reapers or Trinidad Scorpion peppers. That should do the job.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Both my brother and cousin grow hot peppers. We used to call that euphoria the "pepper buzz". Bad, bad decisions required to get there!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

The heat only lasts a few minutes though. And some people (me included) never experience the high.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So we finally agree about what to do for dinner. Nobody wants to cook. We're getting take out. We order it up. Its like going to be an hour before the food is ready. I start to look up their reviews. Mostly bad. To late the trigger has been pulled. We pick it up. Bring it home. Eat it. It was great. Some of the reviews were unpossible.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am my own worst enemy, a friend wanted to make a skullcracker overhead console for his 4WD because he was doing some metalwork. He asked my opinion, I said it was dangerous and would sound bad, I suggested FG pods on the dash as they would be better in every way, nope, steel it is.
So here we are, worked out port sizes a while ago and built crossovers today so it can be bi amped. As it is a two door we can bi amp off the headunit and that way I don't have to use an attenuation circuit as we have independent gain for each driver.
Before this one my boss spent 3K on an install and I said it was shit so I got to do it all again plus glass up a sub box and add an amp, 800W Sundown sub in a single cab, happy days.
I have another one to do soon with probably four glassed ported pods and a sub box in a bed head.

Attachments

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I am my own worst enemy, a friend wanted to make a skullcracker overhead console for his 4WD because he was doing some metalwork. He asked my opinion, I said it was dangerous and would sound bad, I suggested FG pods on the dash as they would be better in every way, nope, steel it is.
So here we are, worked out port sizes a while ago and built crossovers today so it can be bi amped. As it is a two door we can bi amp off the headunit and that way I don't have to use an attenuation circuit as we have independent gain for each driver.
Before this one my boss spent 3K on an install and I said it was shit so I got to do it all again plus glass up a sub box and add an amp, 800W Sundown sub in a single cab, happy days.
I have another one to do soon with probably four glassed ported pods and a sub box in a bed head.
While I'm the first one to reckon I'm not a car audio aficionado, I have also to admit I understood maybe 11% of what you just wrote...