Quantcast

the random thought thread

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why is it OK to call them the British mutant, the South African mutant, the Brazilien mutant but not PC to call it the Chinese virus?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't understand why a vernier caliper can also be called verniers or a set of verniers and each is considered acceptable for a single caliper.
If somebody asked me to get a set of calipers I'd go looking for a box with at least two calipers inside.

Same thing with pliers, why isn't it a plier? You don't clamp something in the vises.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I don't understand why a vernier caliper can also be called verniers or a set of verniers and each is considered acceptable for a single caliper.
If somebody asked me to get a set of calipers I'd go looking for a box with at least two calipers inside.

Same thing with pliers, why isn't it a plier? You don't clamp something in the vises.
"Forks".

--Every single wrong-side-braked, English bike rider.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

I would like to think that if we had been nicer to Syadasti we would have the answers to your questions. If somebody asks me for the Pliers. I will have to correct them now. Thanks...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Working tired on your own is usually okay, with one extra person it gets a bit weird with a third I just zone out and don't pay attention to what I'm doing.
Was pretty close to dropping a 200+kg platform I was standing under on top of me last week, hahaha!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Honda has an airline?

EDIT- We got them as an MDX a good few years ago, only knew one person with one and it was an unreliable heap of shit, much like the big Subaru made for the American market.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been reading some materials on the subject of psychology recently. I have often been frustrated as to why a lot of people don't get things that I feel are easily understood. I now realize that I don't have a unique way of thinking about things, but a well documented and rare way of seeing the world. I guess I should have realized that when I decided to read some random 400 page doctoral dissertation for entertainment.

I've been reading some materials on the subject of psychology recently. I have often been frustrated as to why a lot of people don't get things that I feel are easily understood. I now realize that I don't have a unique way of thinking about things, but a well documented and rare way of seeing the world. I guess I should have realized that when I decided to read some random 400 page doctoral dissertation for entertainment.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What way of thinking is this? And how do they classify ways of thinking? Are there categorical subtypes or something, like a Myers Briggs of contemplation?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What way of thinking is this? And how do they classify ways of thinking? Are there categorical subtypes or something, like a Myers Briggs of contemplation?

I certainly spend most of my time thinking in english words. Strangely some people do not think in words at all, but that is another story. But I spend a lot of time imagining real world things and scenarios and play them in my head like a simulation without words. Very much like a controlled waking dream where I don't necessarily experience things from the perspective of myself. Kind of in line with the classic physics thought experiment. Relativity makes no sense to me unless you can think about it from the perspective of the photon. I think it starts out as a defense mechanism to protect oneself from stress and anxiety, retreat into a world of your own creation. Some people can then turn that from a defense pattern into a creative one.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I wonder what the biggest possible population size and in what geographic area one could live a typical, average lifetime and know everyone by name (at a minimum) before dying.

I don't think I can adequately convey, in words, what my brain is currently trying to figure out and assign logical numbers to in order to work through the process of quantifying everything, with all the variables involved. Probably why I can't sleep.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wonder what the biggest possible population size and in what geographic area one could live a typical, average lifetime and know everyone by name (at a minimum) before dying.

I don't think I can adequately convey, in words, what my brain is currently trying to figure out and assign logical numbers to in order to work through the process of quantifying everything, with all the variables involved. Probably why I can't sleep.
The bigger question is why you would want to? The majority of those people are going to be idiots.