Quantcast

the random thought thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do people just not read messages and instructions anymore?

Just had someone open a ticket saying something wasn't working. They took a screenshot AND highlighted the error message which said something like "cannot submit form due to validation error. this item is fucking red and highlighted on the page."

I asked so did ya fix the validation error? Nope, they didn't. If only they had taken two minutes to actually read the error message. :banghead:

This happens ALL the time. :(

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Just had someone open a ticket saying something wasn't working. They took a screenshot AND highlighted the error message which said something like "cannot submit form due to validation error. this item is fucking red and highlighted on the page."

I asked so did ya fix the validation error? Nope, they didn't. If only they had taken two minutes to actually read the error message. :banghead:

This happens ALL the time. :(

Pro tip: A millennial won't read anything that's not written over the image. This includes help bubbles, comments below a picture, etc.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Perhaps I am just slow on the uptake, but it has taken me years to realize that for some people, asking for and receiving help is a sign of love. My wife is this way.

Me, I've always viewed asking for help as the opposite. It is inconveniencing someone else with your problems. It is not a sign of love, it is the polar opposite.

I'm coming to realize that I may have a toxic perspective on the matter.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Perhaps I am just slow on the uptake, but it has taken me years to realize that for some people, asking for and receiving help is a sign of love. My wife is this way.

Me, I've always viewed asking for help as the opposite. It is inconveniencing someone else with your problems. It is not a sign of love, it is the polar opposite.

I'm coming to realize that I may have a toxic perspective on the matter.
This heavily resonates with my own experience. In fact, my wife's psychologist told her she shouldn't see herself asking me to drive her car to some places she still doesn't fell confident enough to do it on her own as a demeaning act, but as a way to invite me to share the ride. We both bust out asses working and have very few moments during the day to share, so her shrink's take on this was she actually wasn't asking for help, but showing me how much she craves my company.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Now here’s a lazy prejudice we can all get on board with! :thumb: Fucking Millennials ruin everything.

At least in the context of my employer, I'll take one millennial over any number if boomers. Yeah they take some handholding and discussions about their preferred pronouns, but I can get some work out of them. Damn boomers create twice as much work as they get done. Thankfully two times a small number is also a small number.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
one better....ever been behind someone at food place with a coupon they did not bother reading is not accepted at that location and they get all pissy...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Now here’s a lazy prejudice we can all get on board with! :thumb: Fucking Millennials ruin everything.
wearing earbuds in public and only removing when absolutely necessary to interact with someone helps a bit...

otherwise if asked a question I just mouth the word "nope"...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pretty sure any time someone says, "Believe me...", I am immediately skeptical of what follows. Granted I am an inquisitive and suspicious creature, so I will be looking up whatever you say anyway.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I want boxer shorts with pockets.

Also, I fucking hate scarves, there is no place in Australia that a scarf is necessary.
Oh it's Alpaca and your beer has 12 different types of hops, yes please keep talking, I am very interested in hipster things.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pretty sure any time someone says, "Believe me...", I am immediately skeptical of what follows. Granted I am an inquisitive and suspicious creature, so I will be looking up whatever you say anyway.

Trust but verify. But the trust part is faked in order to maintain relationships.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Trust but verify. But the trust part is faked in order to maintain relationships.
Yea, I don't get it. We have almost the entire catalog of human knowledge at our fingertips, yet people still insist on spouting off misguided beliefs instead of just looking it up.

Case in point, MIL got all butthurt last night cause we didn't just accept her assertion that only yogurt that says, contains "probiotics" actually contains probiotics. Which is incorrect, since all yogurt technically contains probiotics, whether alive, dead, or of the many different varieties they may add.

Had I not looked that up, I wouldn't have known that. But 5 minutes later and I had an educated answer. It really wasn't that difficult.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For the past 6 months, I've been getting a lot of ads from NHTSA on Spotify about train safety. Are these targeted? Have I been identified as someone who plays fast and loose around trains? Or is there actually a huge problem with train/vehicle collisions I am unaware of?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The green 1953 Ford that I drove in Ridgewood, New Jersey was named, as I recall, “Laiton Culottes”. Culotte en laiton translates to “brass panties”. I have no idea what I was trying to express at the time, save perhaps that it was, in my view, edgy.

Sounds uncomfortable

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
In the past week while out driving I've seen two drivers smoking weed and also seen a guy driving with a crack pipe in his hand.
I ride a motorcycle and in California we're allowed to lane share/split through traffic. You get a great view of what people are doing in their cars. My informal survey shows that at least 20% - 25% of the people on the road are smoking weed or vaping when stuck in traffic. And the percentage of people on their phones or tablets is way higher.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I ride a motorcycle and in California we're allowed to lane share/split through traffic. You get a great view of what people are doing in their cars. My informal survey shows that at least 20% - 25% of the people on the road are smoking weed or vaping when stuck in traffic. And the percentage of people on their phones or tablets is way higher.
Same thing with active cruise control, I can look left and right and see that people of all ages enjoy phones.

The best though is when I'm at the stoplight in the V8 monster ahead of someone that I see looking down at their phone. So I rev the engine and they get ready to go. But we don't go because the light is nowhere near changing, so their eyes go back down. So I rev the engine again. This repeats until the light changes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I need to stop making late night purchases.
A modem/router is different to a router, a router has no hole for the Flintstone Phone.
Probably shouldn't be eating oily pizza when I am opening new products either.
Now I want a modem with no wireless voodoo, they are properly rare in Oz.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fuck technology, two shit products in two days.
I have refused to buy Panasonic gear for ~8yrs because they denied a legit claim on a few week old camera and were quite dickish about it. Lucky for me most of their products are complete shit which made avoiding them pretty easy.

Today I gave in as they are the only people that sell Blu-Ray PVRs, I knew it would be un-intuitive, coz Panasonic, but God Damn, this thing is freaking horrendous. They have their own Viera ecosystem that allows me to download two Aussie broadcasters' "apps" and one doesn't really work, but as it seems to have been left unchanged since 2012 it is less of a surprise.
Sometimes the back button goes back one level in a menu, as expected, if you are in the internet bit it does nothing, if you are in other menus you skip multiple levels and go straight back to the channel you are tuned to.

When I got to the internet part it sorta reminded me of this-

I'll see if the shop will take it back tomorrow, I didn't expect much, but it still managed to fall short of expectations.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am mourning over Prince Phillips passing. His contributions to society were immeasurable. He certainly earned his position of status and wealth.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I hate when you're parking in a parking lot, and make a last minute change or unplanned spot to pull into, and as a result you aren't quite centered/straight. Not bad enough to be hindering access to adjacent cars, but bad enough that you look like you don't know how to drive. It's minor enough to not bother spending the extra 15 seconds to straighten it out, but you still wonder how people are wondering who the jackass is that can't park the whole time you're in the store.