Quantcast

the random thought thread

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode by this abomination a few times, it's by the Shining sea bike path from Falmouth to Woods Hole.
The stupidest thing I have seen on Cape Cod yet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I got 11 years out of my TV remote batteries, they started leaking before the remote stopped functioning.

I also like to play with the little battery tray clips but when they break I get sad.
The new TV's remote has a solar panel and USB charge so I can't play with the clip, luckily the remote sucked so I went out and bought one with numbers and a battery clip to play with, hooray!

I am a special special human.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I hate when you're parking in a parking lot, and make a last minute change or unplanned spot to pull into, and as a result you aren't quite centered/straight. Not bad enough to be hindering access to adjacent cars, but bad enough that you look like you don't know how to drive. It's minor enough to not bother spending the extra 15 seconds to straighten it out, but you still wonder how people are wondering who the jackass is that can't park the whole time you're in the store.
people who insist on backing into parking spaces...and are really bad at it....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
No fucking way that's legal.
a friend bought a slightly used Toyota Highlander from the toyota dealership she used to work at....kept on having to get the temp tag renewed....no new plates from the state....after 4 months the dealership figured out they sold her a car with a lien on it....

pretty sure that is a no no...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
a friend bought a slightly used Toyota Highlander from the toyota dealership she used to work at....kept on having to get the temp tag renewed....no new plates from the state....after 4 months the dealership figured out they sold her a car with a lien on it....

pretty sure that is a no no...
Both me and her could report them to CFPB and raise medieval hell on their asses. But, who has the time to do it... I already fixed the fuck-up, got my money back, original policy re-instated.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I have moved to delivering mail/packages incorrectly delivered to our address if they are local. Today we got a (correctly addressed) legal letter for the prior owners of our house, who now live 1/2 mile away, and an Amazon package to a random address also 1/2 mile away or so. Rather than leave them in the mailbox to be picked up and redelivered, I'm planning to just drop them off tomorrow.

It will be the second time doing so for the previous owners.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have moved to delivering mail/packages incorrectly delivered to our address if they are local. Today we got a (correctly addressed) legal letter for the prior owners of our house, who now live 1/2 mile away, and an Amazon package to a random address also 1/2 mile away or so. Rather than leave them in the mailbox to be picked up and redelivered, I'm planning to just drop them off tomorrow.

It will be the second time doing so for the previous owners.
I get mail for someone that had our house under contract, but the deal fell through, then we bought it. He had his mail forwarded here despite never actually residing here. I throw his mail in the garbage because fuck him.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I get mail for someone that had our house under contract, but the deal fell through, then we bought it. He had his mail forwarded here despite never actually residing here. I throw his mail in the garbage because fuck him.
I can beat that level of bullshit.

"Marcia" in New York must have typoed her phone number on her electoral registration/party registration or some similar bullshit.

I get a fairly constant stream of texts near elections addressed to Marcia asking her about various candidates - different phone numbers, so blocking makes no difference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can beat that level of bullshit.

"Marcia" in New York must have typoed her phone number on her electoral registration/party registration or some similar bullshit.

I get a fairly constant stream of texts near elections addressed to Marcia asking her about various candidates - different phone numbers, so blocking makes no difference.
Solution:

download_20210508_213514.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just found out my parents neighbor really likes bird houses, but doesn't like birds. She has a good dozen bird houses around her property modified with screens over the holes so no birds can get in and nest. Wtf is that bullshit?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I get monthly mail from the Wa Department of labor to a former resident. I spent a year writing "return to sender, wrong address" and nothing changed.

Eventually tracked the lady down and called her when a similar document showed up from the WA Court System as it looked super important. They came and picked up their mail and thanked me and said they would update their address. They never did, left a few messages they never responded to.

The really shitty thing about it is that it is actually illegal to throw someone's mail away. I feel like I went above and beyond any responsibility here. Here is where I should forward their mail in a box I shit in.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just found out my parents neighbor really likes bird houses, but doesn't like birds. She has a good dozen bird houses around her property modified with screens over the holes so no birds can get in and nest. Wtf is that bullshit?

Boomers love the tchotchke

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I get monthly mail from the Wa Department of labor to a former resident. I spent a year writing "return to sender, wrong address" and nothing changed.

Eventually tracked the lady down and called her when a similar document showed up from the WA Court System as it looked super important. They came and picked up their mail and thanked me and said they would update their address. They never did, left a few messages they never responded to.

The really shitty thing about it is that it is actually illegal to throw someone's mail away. I feel like I went above and beyond any responsibility here. Here is where I should forward their mail in a box I shit in.
I should also point out we've lived here 8 years now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A prostitute stole our cat when she moved house, we found a stray dog to keep not long after and realised that cats are assholes*, so everyone was happy in the end.

*Case study of two

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Been watching a lot of Alone recently, and it's amazing how much stuff these people find in completely remote places. It's a testament to human influence and our impact on this planet.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That's secondary nowadays.
Marketing is the #1 business over there.
Oh I get it, I do. But in the words of one of my favorite literary characters,

"You never saw so many phonies in all your life, everybody smoking their ears off and talking about the play so that everybody could hear and know how sharp they were."

None of it feels genuine. It's all manufactured. Curated posts with curated images. Everyone sharing parables about some epiphany that makes them stand out from the rest of the God damn phonies. Always marketing some company, product, or themselves in the hopes of jumping up the ladder so they can devote even more of their lives to a corporate overlord who will treat you like a piece of single use plastic to throw away when its outlived its usefulness.

So, in summary, fuck LinkedIn.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

"You never saw so many phonies in all your life, everybody smoking their ears off and talking about the play so that everybody could hear and know how sharp they were."

None of it feels genuine. It's all manufactured. Curated posts with curated images. Everyone sharing parables about some epiphany that makes them stand out from the rest of the God damn phonies. Always marketing some company, product, or themselves in the hopes of jumping up the ladder so they can devote even more of their lives to a corporate overlord who will treat you like a piece of single use plastic to throw away when its outlived its usefulness.

It's an accurate projection of our failed society.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I actually give less than two shits about all of that. What really annoys me is the myriad of headhunters/recruiters/talent scouts/whatever asking to "connect" with me, and ultimately offering me my own job, at the company I actually work for.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I actually give less than two shits about all of that. What really annoys me is the myriad of headhunters/recruiters/talent scouts/whatever asking to "connect" with me, and ultimately offering me my own job, at the company I actually work for.

I get people trying to recruit me for the job I had 5 jobs and 20 years ago.

People often tend to be pretentious assholes in a variety of dimensions. By my observation, the less competent in their field, the greater the tendency to be pretentious.

The English language of whatever flavor is built on and includes pieces of perhaps a dozen other languages. As taught to students here, it is presented as a static artifact. It isn't. All languages evolve and "rules" are not fixed.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
People often tend to be pretentious assholes in a variety of dimensions. By my observation, the less competent in their field, the greater the tendency to be pretentious.

The English language of whatever flavor is built on and includes pieces of perhaps a dozen other languages. As taught to students here, it is presented as a static artifact. It isn't. All languages evolve and "rules" are not fixed.
Down here English is taught in its British variant, but it seems to be the one Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used to write the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It's almost anachronistic how some people talks to an English native speaker and uses words you wouldn't read/hear outside of a Victorian novel. I can only imagine how those native English speakers feel about it :rofl:

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Down here English is taught in its British variant, but it seems to be the one Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used to write the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It's almost anachronistic how some people talks to an English native speaker and uses words you wouldn't read/hear outside of a Victorian novel. I can only imagine how those native English speakers feel about it :rofl:
Like the French when speaking with Quebecois. :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Twenty years ago I was studying become a sound engineer, when the teacher said we'd be a roadie/toilet cleaner with a qualification my brain switched off.
So glad I didn't go down that path, I don't like dealing with drug fucked morons.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why do they make it so hard to recycle electronics? I know a healthy number of the materials inside are recyclable and should be recycled, but it kind of chaps my ass that the town recycling facility is open for 3 hours on a single day once a month.

It's a bit of a value trap when it costs $3 to throw it away yet $30 to recycle.
Our local tip is open year round for E-Waste and disposal is free, some retailers also accept E-waste at no charge and we get two curbside bulk and E-waste pick ups per year. We can dispose of oil year round for free but paint and chemicals are drop off only and is only for a few hours twice a year.

It still amazes me that I know people that think throwing a phone or a PC in to the trash is okay.