Quantcast

the random thought thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not my words:

Enduro on the other hand, which was pretty exciting when it first spun out of Super D (a format I really miss) is basically just downhill racing at this point. Body armor, 36 pound pikes, people getting airlifted... not great.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pretty much my thought given that the climbs aren't timed against the result.
It seems the less "grassroots" it is, the more it probably takes away from the competitiveness of the format.

With the grassroots racing, we are all vying for pole position in a race where if you get to the top first or near the first, you are likely to have a clean run and not run into anyone on the course. You *can* wait at the top of the course, but if you wait, then you risk again having someone else slower in front of you on the downhill. It's not all filtered out so that there's no chance you'll come up on someone, just some measures to help with spacing. So you should be a decent climber, or at least it will reward you for being a decent climber, let alone the effects of being fit and able to pedal on the downhill.

We aren't XC climbing by any means, trying to kill ourselves on the climbs, but we are filtering out a lot of slower riders with the climb.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wait, people on Ridemonkey advocate for having more climbing in gravity racing? :eek:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Scientists have warned for years that building on barrier islands is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons, a major one being that the landmass is composed of sand and mud, neither of which are inherently stable.

Predictably, they've been ignored, as that's primo high dollar real estate.
just good old fashioened poor construction/engineering/shit concrete/poor drainage...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Same people who hate low BBs, i assume.
I hate low BBs.

On a different note, I think I fart an excessive amount, maybe marketing has made me allergic to gluten, or milk with the A1 protein.

I also use commas too frequently.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Why do people applaud when the plane lands?
Fuckin pilot is only doing his job. I never got applause when I did a firewall update or added some routes to the core...
Now, of if it a heavy crosswind landing and you come in slipping sideways and he snaps it straight at the last minute for a perfect touchdown.
For that, I could see a round of well dones.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Fuckin pilot is only doing his job. I never got applause when I did a firewall update or added some routes to the core...
Now, of if it a heavy crosswind landing and you come in slipping sideways and he snaps it straight at the last minute for a perfect touchdown.
Traditionally, only transoceanic flight landings deserved an applause. That was because of the huge effort they meant for the whole crew, not just the pilot/commander. Later on that gratitude was transferred to a landing in adverse conditions, and ultimately it led to every single landing being cheered up.

Source: I have a cousin who is a flight attendant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Last flight I was on some lady started to loudly hoot, holler and cheer for a few uniformed Marines on the flight. Seemed a little too jubilant considering they were accompanying a few caskets.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Last flight I was on some lady started to loudly hoot, holler and cheer for a few uniformed Marines on the flight. Seemed a little too jubilant considering they were accompanying a few caskets.
On my first trip to the Land Of The Free, a couple marines returning from Irak hitched a ride from Atlanta to NY. The pilot requested all the passengers to give them a well deserved applause (in his own words). Just a couple months had passed from those embarrasing pics with the girl on top of a pile of prisoner bodies.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is it just me or are more and more people showing ignorance or just a lack of respect when there are ambulances traveling in the opposite direction, with lights lit?

More and more I see people just continue to drive past them, no effort to slow down, move over, stop or anything....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Is it just me or are more and more people showing ignorance or just a lack of respect when there are ambulances traveling in the opposite direction, with lights lit?

More and more I see people just continue to drive past them, no effort to slow down, move over, stop or anything....
It's not just ambulances, fire engines or police that they ignore. It's every other vehicle, bike or pedestrian on the road.
We have become a bunch of self absorbed assholes driving steel projectiles

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In retrospect it makes perfect sense that Snoop Dog became friends with Martha Stewart, Gin And Juice is basically a song about party planning.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe its just where I live, but the vast majority of the houses/properties i see with "no trespassing" signs are such shitholes i wouldn't wanna step foot on the property in the first place.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think they should have small non explosive car missiles. Just to send the message that you have pissed off someone with your driving enough that they fired a non lethal missile at you. Had they been real you would be dead. A women on the Expressway got pulled over by the State Police for driving slow in the left lane and brake checking folks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
*soft clap*

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Some English news presenters seem to like adding an extra "g" to the end of words ending in "g" and it annoys me.
Knowing-g, going-g etc etc.