Quantcast

the random thought thread

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I believe I did that before, but it got enabled again. Disabled, again...

Better question is, why are you still using Chrome on your phone? :nerd:
For incognito mode? :busted:

What do you use, Firefox?

I've actually come to like Edge on my work computer. :redface:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Sorry, it's my old Linux retrogrouch kicking in. Even when it's basically Chromium, it's got its own issues. Namely a deep, hardcoded MS integration.
Yes I absolutely the hate that. Even down to the news on the default homepage. Fuck you Windows. On my work PC I don’t even have enough permission to get rid of it. There is a reason browsers should be sandboxes…

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yes I absolutely the hate that. Even down to the news on the default homepage. Fuck you Windows. On my work PC I don’t even have enough permission to get rid of it. There is a reason browsers should be sandboxes…
If news is the default home page, that's your administration's fault.

The MS integration is whats nice about Edge and it's getting better.

Then again we're a Microsoft shop so.... but generally the Office365 is good and actually works.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality

Then again we're a Microsoft shop so.... but generally the Office365 is good and actually works.
Outlook is good, but it is not as good as it was in 2007. All the other shit is fine with a few glaring errors (How on earth is the MS Project integration to e.g. Teams, Planner non-existant? — but GSuite is a vastly superior product overall. I would class myself as a tech-literate ‘power user’ of both (I have been an AD Admin and a GSuite admin for my sins) and I would take GSuite in a hearbeat.

Outlook 2007 is better than gmail though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Outlook is good, but it is not as good as it was in 2007. All the other shit is fine with a few glaring errors (How on earth is the MS Project integration to e.g. Teams, Planner non-existant? — but GSuite is a vastly superior product overall. I would class myself as a tech-literate ‘power user’ of both (I have been an AD Admin and a GSuite admin for my sins) and I would take GSuite in a hearbeat.

*kidwoo sent you a message in TEAMS

..........4 months ago

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

As an old, hardcore Linux power user, having to open Outlook and Teams as Chrome apps at best is horrendous. That's why I keep defaulting to Chrome as a browser. Opening any other flavor increases the memory footprint and makes my RHEL-powered work laptop screech and grind.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Yeah some of those obvious integration things are puzzling. I'm guessing it's mostly because Teams was released as early as possible to kill Skype and compete with Cisco.

But... MS has been implementing user requested features which is nice to see.

Other benefit of MS and Office365 is having all of Azure behind it.
As an old, hardcore Linux power user, having to open Outlook and Teams as Chrome apps at best is horrendous. That's why I keep defaulting to Chrome as a browser. Opening any other flavor increases the memory footprint and makes my RHEL-powered work laptop screech and grind.
Chrome Apps? I thought Outlook and Teams were html5 or something, so you don't need anything to "run" them in your browser?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yeah some of those obvious integration things are puzzling. I'm guessing it's mostly because Teams was released as early as possible to kill Skype and compete with Cisco.

But... MS has been implementing user requested features which is nice to see.

Other benefit of MS and Office365 is having all of Azure behind it.

Chrome Apps? I thought Outlook and Teams were html5 or something, so you don't need anything to "run" them in your browser?
Well, Chrome apps are essentially a manifest telling Chrome to open a separate window, decorate it in some way and present it to you. They all use the same engine/parent process derived from my current Chrome session (where I run most of the non-work-related stuff, such as this RM thread). Plus my employer has some Chrome integrations which would make a PITA running Outlook and Teams on Firefox.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I believe I did that before, but it got enabled again. Disabled, again...

For incognito mode? :busted:

What do you use, Firefox?

I've actually come to like Edge on my work computer. :redface:
I have Waterfox on the Laptop and Edge on the phone, not sure why but Firefox started eating CPU or RAM, can't remember which.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I can honestly say that there is nothing about the holidays that I enjoy or look forward to. From Thanksgiving until New Years it’s nothing but stress, 24-7. Hopes and unrealistic expectations marinated in 20 months of a pandemic with a side of depression is what’s on the menu.

I can honestly say that there is nothing about the holidays that I enjoy or look forward to. From Thanksgiving until New Years it’s nothing but stress, 24-7. Hopes and unrealistic expectations marinated in 20 months of a pandemic with a side of depression is what’s on the menu.
Yeah, marketing, football bullshit, religious bullshit... solstice celebration I can deal with, call the sun back.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I need to make it to Dec 17th, then I can call the year off. I have to pass a fast track certification test, and the motherfucking assholes who designed the course made it all on video. Keeping up with the yearly closure at work and then focusing to try and absorb the basic concepts of the course is really wrecking my nerves.

Add up I had to cancel the biking trip I had been training for all year long and it's a recipe for disaster. Last week my manager insinuated I didn't have enough commitment to take this course/certification and I told him to fuck off and fire me at once if he didn't consider me canceling my vacation committed enough.

I'm staying up til 2 AM for this shit while my buddies are enjoying this:

IMG-20211118-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20211120-WA0015.jpg

That's San Martín de los Andes, at the finest part of the Argentinian Patagonia BTW.

I need to make it to Dec 17th, then I can call the year off. I have to pass a fast track certification test, and the motherfucking assholes who designed the course made it all on video. Keeping up with the yearly closure at work and then focusing to try and absorb the basic concepts of the course is really wrecking my nerves.

Add up I had to cancel the biking trip I had been training for all year long and it's a recipe for disaster. Last week my manager insinuated I didn't have enough commitment to take this course/certification and I told him to fuck off and fire me at once if he didn't consider me canceling my vacation committed enough.

I'm staying up til 2 AM for this shit while my buddies are enjoying this:

View attachment 167891

View attachment 167892

That's San Martín de los Andes, at the finest part of the Argentinian Patagonia BTW.
That sucks.

The last company I worked for wanted us to get Microsoft certifications and set up a rather nice cash compensation scheme. I got MCSE and MCSD after a bunch of studying and tests. Eventually the company decided it was paying us too much to get certifications, so I never took another test. They whined and bitched about that.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That sucks.

The last company I worked for wanted us to get Microsoft certifications and set up a rather nice cash compensation scheme. I got MCSE and MCSD after a bunch of studying and tests. Eventually the company decided it was paying us too much to get certifications, so I never took another test. They whined and bitched about that.
Did the certs help you be better at your job, or was it all a dog & pony show for the management, clients or shareholders?