Quantcast

the random thought thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Add up I had to cancel the biking trip I had been training for all year long and it's a recipe for disaster.
Oh dude, do I understand that one. I put 16 months into an Appalachian Trail Thru Hike only having to cancel/postpone at the start of LePlague. Last Christmas I was closed to the public, but I will be open regular holiday hours this year. So hopefully i will be able to save some money for my hike. No pressure...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Did the certs help you be better at your job, or was it all a dog & pony show for the management, clients or shareholders?
I'd say the knowledge you gain while doing those insane fast tracks takes some time to settle in. Last year I took a cloud advisor one and a year later I'm finding myself putting what I learned on my daily tasks. But going through the ordeal of work/family/study without being able to apply what you are learning makes it difficult to get the knowledge to stick to your brain. Last year I was the first of my batch to certify, it was supposed to be a 40 hour learning plan, but then I found you'd barely have the minimum curricula covered with it and you'd have to add a total of 123 hours to be able to pass the test. I basically opened my skull and forced all that data into it in about 12 days.

This year I'm taking a Google training, and it's fucking aimed to millennials. A bunch of idiots on videos telling you how wonderful the Google infrastructure is, how easy it is to learn about it, while at the same time being unable to read a fucking script off a teleprompter.

I'm a learning by reading guy. I'm able to extract the core idea off a text pretty easily, and add it to my knowledge corpus in a durable way. Watching videos, waiting for the asshole on duty to actually get to the point is a living nightmare.

/RANT

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Oh dude, do I understand that one. I put 16 months into an Appalachian Trail Thru Hike only having to cancel/postpone at the start of LePlague. Last Christmas I was closed to the public, but I will be open regular holiday hours this year. So hopefully i will be able to save some money for my hike. No pressure...
A toast to you! You'll make it to that hike sooner that you think. Please make sure to share some pics with your fellow :monkey: s!!!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This year I'm taking a Google training, and it's fucking aimed to millennials. A bunch of idiots on videos telling you how wonderful the Google infrastructure is, how easy it is to learn about it, while at the same time being unable to read a fucking script off a teleprompter.

I'm a learning by reading guy. I'm able to extract the core idea off a text pretty easily, and add it to my knowledge corpus in a durable way. Watching videos, waiting for the asshole on duty to actually get to the point is a living nightmare.
I share your sentiment 100%. I fucking hate videos.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Agree with vids sucking, especially the ‘get to the fucking point’ bit. Remember you can speed them up normally.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
In Windows Update my computer says it's not compatible with 11 but it I download PC Health Check and scan it it says that it will run, 11. Knowing my luck it will probably run 11 really poorly and have all sorts of issues, no I will not buy a Mac.

I shouldn't need a computer for a while but I think something from this mob will be what I'll purchase-

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I learned about those modular laptops the other day, at this piece:

Oh those T61s were a delight to work on...

After using them for work, I've always recommended ThinkPads to my friends. Latest generations have lost a bit in regards of drivers availability (I use them exclusively with Linux, and for instance the fingerprint scanner works only under Windows in several of the latest models) but in general they age well, are sturdy, have more than decent battery life, and parts availability isn't an issue as years go by, since they tend to share quite a bit of them across the range.

They might look dated in terms of design, but I'm a form follows function guy. YMMV.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I learned about those modular laptops the other day, at this piece:

Oh those T61s were a delight to work on...

After using them for work, I've always recommended ThinkPads to my friends. Latest generations have lost a bit in regards of drivers availability (I use them exclusively with Linux, and for instance the fingerprint scanner works only under Windows in several of the latest models) but in general they age well, are sturdy, have more than decent battery life, and parts availability isn't an issue as years go by, since they tend to share quite a bit of them across the range.

They might look dated in terms of design, but I'm a form follows function guy. YMMV.
Yeah they were always so solid with amazing keyboards, my brother had a monochrome one in his last year of highschool, I think the one he got after that still works.
If they weren't Chinese owned and made I would have bought a couple but I went for Fujitsu because they used to be solid like a Lenovo but were assembled in Japan. Now that Lenovo have a 51% share, assembly will probably move out of Japan pretty soon, later ones have been a bit shit anyway.
Clevo is another brand I'd be tempted to give a whirl.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I had to take a 3 day in person class to become a certified paratransit securement instructor. I discovered that the instructor was worse in person than on video, in video they could at least edit out his aimless ramblings. In person he was insufferable.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha, as if I'd upload any of them to FB.
I use an unofficial app on my phone and it locks me out from time to time, I'll miss the trading pages.
1638443809187.png

Oh, Windows updated to 11 without an issue, but I don't seem to be able to get my taskbar on the left where I like it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When my wife was a kid, whenever she said she wanted something, her mom would reply, "How does it feel to want?", and I still think that's the douchiest thing one person has ever said to another, especially a child.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
When my wife was a kid, whenever she said she wanted something, her mom would reply, "How does it feel to want?", and I still think that's the douchiest thing one person has ever said to another, especially a child.
Interesting. When I was a kid, asking "I want" was considered a sign of poor character and flawed upbringing.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Saying that (and especially to a kid) it's pretty weird in oh so many levels. But given desire is the main driver of our existence (necessity being the other), it's also a step in the wrong direction, i.e. the one of denying our own desire...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Interesting. When I was a kid, asking "I want" was considered a sign of poor character and flawed upbringing.
I mean, "I want" can span the gamut from I want a pony to I want to see grandma & grandpa. Making "how does it feel to want" the default response, especially as a young kid, feels super douchey. Seems like it should be a teachable moment instead of a punitive one.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yup - IT certs. Seems some people collect them like Matchbox cars...
I hear you. Even more when you're requested to get a cert without even working on the tech first :banghead:...

I got driven into them by the "manglement". If it was up to me, 10 minutes of a candidate in front of a SSH session is all I need to know if he/she is gonna make it or not...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I mean, "I want" can span the gamut from I want a pony to I want to see grandma & grandpa. Making "how does it feel to want" the default response, especially as a young kid, feels super douchey. Seems like it should be a teachable moment instead of a punitive one.
Eventually you'll get tired of teaching the same thing over and over and OVER to your kids. And you then might see where her mum was coming from. :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Parents that answer their kids with "Because! “ or" "Because I said so! “ really shit me.
The kid asked a question hoping they'd get an answer but sadly for them they have a dick for a parent.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

/RANT
As long as its not Microsoft related stuff, reading is for sure the way to go.

Or learn by actually doing the stuff.

One thing I hate with IT stuff is how many god damn abbreviations there are. Looking at you Microsoft, its impossible to read your crap when half of it references obscure abbreviations. :disgust1:

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dealing with this horseshit right now with NetApp training. :mad:
<insert ha-ha meme here>

NetApp at least has some half decent documentation pages.

We're moving away from NetApp in favour of HPE SimpliVity. Seems like good product, but I've had to listen to the HP sales people like 3 times over the last two years. So much mumbo jumbo being thrown left and right....:bad:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
<insert ha-ha meme here
5w4wkt-1.jpg

Indeed. I finished the video part. Guess what: the final "course" clearly says the video part won't be enough to pass the exam, and you need to take a sample exam and then FUCKING GOOGLE TO FIND AND LEARN THE TOPICS YOU FAILED.

What the fuck? There's no complete course material inside the courses!!! I get it, the course/certification is aimed at those who have already spent a good year dealing with GCP, but man, it's like the worst approach ever to online learning!

I couldn't find this video outside Coursera, but you'll get the picture once you watch it:

image.png

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
How would that affect the level of murder you would be at if you found a guy with shit that was stolen from you?
I wouldn't hurt a fly, I love all creatures, lol

Ran in to get creamer for the morning coffee and the dude had a line of peeps out the back of his van. Seemed shady but who knows. Part of me wanted to see what he had left. Who knows what I would have done if he had a klondike bar.