Quantcast

the random thought thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I hate bad cat owners, my neighbours leave their cats outside all day and for much of the night.
One of the little fuckers just killed another bird, hoping that an owl or a snake will take the cats out at some point. There was a carpet python in the creek that could probably swallow a cat, I'll pray to Jeebus that it happens.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate bad cat owners, my neighbours leave their cats outside all day and for much of the night.
One of the little fuckers just killed another bird, hoping that an owl or a snake will take the cats out at some point. There was a carpet python in the creek that could probably swallow a cat, I'll pray to Jeebus that it happens.
Coyotes provide outside cat population control around here.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Stupid Netflix, got double charged, contact them and the dude was of no help, contact PayPal and after a week I get my money back.
Netflix said to stop it from happening again they canceled my subscription, awesome, thanks!

I couldn't be stuffed talking to Netflix again so I went back to PayPal, they seem to sort stuff out.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Amen. Was forced to get it in an old school tub recently and more goes flying across the kitchen trying to shake it off if the spoon.
This is my entire life story with sour cream until I discovered the squeeze pouch.

@Pesqueeb upon discovery of the squeeze pouch glory I felt a mixture of joy and confusion for not having considered such a simple and effective method of dispensing sour cream.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Billions of years ago really loud gigs would have perimeter speakers that acted like modern day ANC headphones but to reduce noise spillage.
For years I thought it would be really handy to run a scaled down version in rally cars then Honda put out a consumer car with ANC.
A couple of years ago I wondered why drones didn't run a little piezo speaker and a mic to get rid of some of the annoying noise that they make, seems they will-

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
As a kid, I was under the impression that there were a lot more marine biologists in this world. And that I'd get offered a lot more drugs. Neither have turned out to be true.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
That doesn't make it sound any better. 2 Grands prize vs 2 Grand Prizes? It's 2 prizes, not 2 Grands, the prizes are grand, not the other way around.
'Grand' vs. 'Grands' seems to apply to the start of F1 having a Constructors Championship - much like TDF having King of the Mountains (Polka Dot Jersey), Most Points (Green Jersey), Fastest AM (White Jersey) and Leaders (Yellow Jersey).

1946-1957 was Grand Prix Racing - 1958 onward, Grands Prix.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
This is my entire life story with sour cream until I discovered the squeeze pouch.

@Pesqueeb upon discovery of the squeeze pouch glory I felt a mixture of joy and confusion for not having considered such a simple and effective method of dispensing sour cream.
this is how mayonnaise is sold in Chile. Seemed so weird to see squeeze bags of it on the shelf, but it makes so much more sense than the plastic jars we have here. If only from the usage perspective, let alone the reduction in waste.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
this is how mayonnaise is sold in Chile. Seemed so weird to see squeeze bags of it on the shelf, but it makes so much more sense than the plastic jars we have here. If only from the usage perspective, let alone the reduction in waste.
I am not sure if the squeeze bottle has a distinct advantage over the Jar. You still have to use a knife to spread the mayo on the bread or mix the Tuna.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I am not sure if the squeeze bottle has a distinct advantage over the Jar. You still have to use a knife to spread the mayo on the bread or mix the Tuna.
How many times have you wound up with mayo on your shirt sleeve because you were trying to get that last little bit down in the corner? Me neither. Well, maybe once or twice in my life.

But it also prevents cross contamination (tuna juice in the mayo caus' you needed just a bit more?! :fie:) from sticking the knife back in the jar after spreading it...

Not to mention less waste.

An argument in various recent readings is that the concept of wilderness is a conflation, that wilderness as an area on the earth unaffected and unaltered by humans does not exist. In general, the argument seems to be applied to the “United” States, and specifically to the belief by invading Europeans that the land they were populating by force was “wild”, had not been altered by humans, whereas, across the continent, large areas had been for millennia been altered by travel, by agriculture, by burning of forest understories, by hunting, and by construction of cities, roadways, artwork, and monuments.

Forest understory, left to itself, often nears impassibility due to vegetation (today, laurel, multiflora rose, dense stands of saplings, fallen boles…). Prior to the evolution of the human species, other moving animals created pathways through such terrain; whether these would have transformed “wilderness” into something else might be pondered. This was happening long, long before anything vaguely similar to humans had evolved.

We could argue that something describable as wilderness in fact has existed prior to the industrial revolution and its effects upon the atmosphere and the oceans. Life as we define it originated four or more billion years ago, terrestrial invertebrates 430 million years ago, forests 370 million years ago, stone tools attributable to upright apes began to appear roughly two and a half million years ago.

Let’s say that the human species became worldwide by about 20,000 years ago, and as a hypothesis, that any true “wilderness” ceased to exist as large mammalian species were driven extinct and pathways became more dominated by bipedal traffic than by “wildlife”. We’ll allow the industrial revolution, triggering global warming, to occur at 1800, which is essentially now. Hence, wilderness in any meaningful sense ceased to exist at the point at which our species had diffused worldwide and begun significant alteration of plants, animals, and the landscape.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The squeeze bottle allows you to get the product out without introducing a foreign object into the product, which avoids potential contamination of the product.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The squeeze bottle allows you to get the product out without introducing a foreign object into the product, which avoids potential contamination of the product.
I usually don't lick the knife I just lifted from the drawer before I insert it into the container. I think I have mastered washing dishes and cutlery. Not to mention that the top of the squeeze bottle gets nasty after use also. Every time you squeeze product out, it gets contaminated upon exit of the bottle does it not?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I usually don't lick the knife I just lifted from the drawer before I insert it into the container. I think I have mastered washing dishes and cutlery. Not to mention that the top of the squeeze bottle gets nasty after use also. Every time you squeeze product out, it gets contaminated upon exit of the bottle does it not?
Valid points. The real question is how contaminated the knife gets in the drawer and from handling vs. the things growing in the squeeze spout. Big picture, it’s all pretty negligible when you consider the preservatives and the general nature of squeezable food products.

Valid points. The real question is how contaminated the knife gets in the drawer and from handling vs. the things growing in the squeeze spout. Big picture, it’s all pretty negligible when you consider the preservatives and the general nature of squeezable food products.
There's also the fact that, aside from crap like COVID-19, ingesting some quantity of dirt and gook ain't a bad thing, it keeps our immune defense systems up and working. Practices associated with the 20th century medical myth of asepsis did not make people healthier overall.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Once the product is low enough in the container. It may require some level of instrument to remove the final product from the container as not to be wasteful. Right? Then after it is empty it heads off to the local recycler. Who just tosses it in a landfill because of the contamination of the product in said container. Where it will continue to contaminate the earth for a millennium. Mayo jars can be recycled and used to store Brown Sugar. Sour cream tubs can be easily cleaned and become small parts containers, when you say service a fork.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
and then there's people with kids.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
An argument in various recent readings is that the concept of wilderness is a conflation, that wilderness as an area on the earth unaffected and unaltered by humans does not exist. In general, the argument seems to be applied to the “United” States, and specifically to the belief by invading Europeans that the land they were populating by force was “wild”, had not been altered by humans, whereas, across the continent, large areas had been for millennia been altered by travel, by agriculture, by burning of forest understories, by hunting, and by construction of cities, roadways, artwork, and monuments.

Forest understory, left to itself, often nears impassibility due to vegetation (today, laurel, multiflora rose, dense stands of saplings, fallen boles…). Prior to the evolution of the human species, other moving animals created pathways through such terrain; whether these would have transformed “wilderness” into something else might be pondered. This was happening long, long before anything vaguely similar to humans had evolved.

We could argue that something describable as wilderness in fact has existed prior to the industrial revolution and its effects upon the atmosphere and the oceans. Life as we define it originated four or more billion years ago, terrestrial invertebrates 430 million years ago, forests 370 million years ago, stone tools attributable to upright apes began to appear roughly two and a half million years ago.

Let’s say that the human species became worldwide by about 20,000 years ago, and as a hypothesis, that any true “wilderness” ceased to exist as large mammalian species were driven extinct and pathways became more dominated by bipedal traffic than by “wildlife”. We’ll allow the industrial revolution, triggering global warming, to occur at 1800, which is essentially now. Hence, wilderness in any meaningful sense ceased to exist at the point at which our species had diffused worldwide and begun significant alteration of plants, animals, and the landscape.
Have you read Sapiens?