Quantcast

the random thought thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Have been for a while.
Maybe in Australia it has happened a bit later? Now they filter results so you see, say, fifty results then have to click to see the filtered out results and there can be 200 ones that are pretty much word for word what you searched for.

Then it auto corrects words and searches for something really obscure with almost no results, I have to go up to the URL and change the spelling so it finds what I'm looking for.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I saw one at a deceased estate and it looked freaking awesome!
All I bought was a few planes.
I should sell my 15" saw, I never use it.
They get a bad rap, but I'm not sure that they are any more dangerous than say, a table saw or a chainsaw (maybe even less so). Feels like one of those tools where a long as you understand the mechanics behind the operation, you can take steps to avoid putting your body or hands in the way.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Microsoft's Power Automate is a nice tool to have.

But why on earth can it create a CSV file, but not natively ingest and parse one out? :disgust1: :banghead:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Found this an interesting read. Shows how focusing on a single aspect of a multifaceted problem can be incredibly shortsighted and disastrous.
Years ago there was a big push(in Aus) to use recycled paper in roof cavities, but if you got a decent leak in the roof your ceiling sheets would drop.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Libraries are the absolute best.
They are.

I used to go to my towns library as a kid/early teen quite a lot, there was more than just books there.

And then I found that they had a entire video and audio tape library. For free. Didn't have to bug my parents to go to Blockbuster anymore. :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I used to go to my towns library as a kid/early teen quite a lot, there was more than just books there.
I was the only kid in my hometown's public library allowed to borrow up to 7 books at the time (the default borrowing policy was 3). I kinda devoured them back in the day.

Jules Verne, Emilio Salgari, Ray Bradbury, Stanislaw Lem, Ursula Leguin... So many awesome stories, all of them waiting for me to delve in their own little wonderlands...

These days it has been replaced witha copiuos home library for those volumes I still enjoy having in physical format, and Calibre/Kindle/epublibre.org for those I want to read.

My latest rabbit hole is Terry Pratchett.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
They are.

And then I found that they had a entire video and audio tape library. For free. Didn't have to bug my parents to go to Blockbuster anymore. :D
Beyond just books and movies, libraries support entire communities. 12 years old and questioning your sexual orientation or gender identity? Good chance a librarian can point you in the right direction with no judgement. Want to learn about cooking with traditional Indian spices but have nowhere to turn? They've got a class for that. Adults who want to play D&D? Come on down, the crew meets up on Sundays at 2pm.

Not to mention they are frequently historic buildings with impressive architecture and woodwork. It's a delight to stroll through the card catalogues perusing a myriad of super specific but equally intriguing subjects, all while immersed in that unique library scent.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Beyond just books and movies, libraries support entire communities. 12 years old and questioning your sexual orientation or gender identity? Good chance a librarian can point you in the right direction with no judgement. Want to learn about cooking with traditional Indian spices but have nowhere to turn? They've got a class for that. Adults who want to play D&D? Come on down, the crew meets up on Sundays at 2pm.

Not to mention they are frequently historic buildings with impressive architecture and woodwork. It's a delight to stroll through the card catalogues perusing a myriad of super specific but equally intriguing subjects, all while immersed in that unique library scent.
*just avoid the meth contamination in the bathrooms :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Removing 70 year old paint from split cedar shingles from a wobbly ladder is an excellent shoulder and core workout.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Cats again, arrrgh!

Yesterday a couple of Doves were lookin' like getting down for a bit of action in the backyard.
Today, Dove ripped apart by the neighbours' cat, yay.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wouldn't it be easier to photoshop some van life pictures for the Insta?
If they won't pay $27/night for camping, what makes you think they'll pay for Photoshop?

Most of the budget is dedicated to the tri-tip steak dinner with sauted portobello mushrooms and chimmichuri sauce cooked on a Tembo tusk skottle, all the while washing it down with a craft IPA during the livestreaming on their vlog.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If they won't pay $27/night for camping, what makes you think they'll pay for Photoshop?

Most of the budget is dedicated to the tri-tip steak dinner with sauted portobello mushrooms and chimmichuri sauce cooked on a Tembo tusk skottle, all the while washing it down with a craft IPA during the livestreaming on their vlog.
I'd rather have a burrito