Quantcast

the random thought thread

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Once the coronaggeddon is over and we The Mighty Ones are saved I need to go back to rock climbing.
Brother fell a week ago when a hand hold gave way and his line didn't save him. He was on the coast and had to be rescued off the beach by lifeboat. A few busted vertebrae and ankle and now a back brace for company. Thankfully still has all working limbs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
1. Why is it that people feel entitled to park their cars completely obstructing the side walk? That is an avenue for pedestrian travel. Perhaps it's time to start my valve core collection.

2. "This car climbed __________" stickers are inane. Congratulations on your accomplishment?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1. Why is it that people feel entitled to park their cars completely obstructing the side walk? That is an avenue for pedestrian travel. Perhaps it's time to start my valve core collection.

2. "This car climbed __________" stickers are inane. Congratulations on your accomplishment?
35 years ago when everyone was driving around with poorly tuned carburetors the elevation change would have made it possibly challenging.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's a church i pass when visiting my parents. it has a sign in front that says something like "thou shalt not kill babies and sell baby parts". super jesusy yea? high school me would have snuck in the middle of the night and changed it to read "eat babies hail satan"

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
there's a church i pass when visiting my parents. it has a sign in front that says something like "thou shalt not kill babies and sell baby parts". super jesusy yea? high school me would have snuck in the middle of the night and changed it to read "eat babies hail satan"
sometimes I sympathize with these people. Killing babies is wrong, I can get behind that message. We just have different definitions of “baby”. Then I roll down the window and scream “Christian terrorists” at them.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's like a Nokia back in 2012-

You could point it at a bus stop and it would bring up the timetable and you could plan a trip across different public transport platforms in many countries around the world, it was really handy.
I still hate my Android phone, it does not behave in a logical manner, maybe I'll go back to Sailfish.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Specifics?
Sending messages, it doesn't keep most frequent or most recent contacts I have sent messages to at the top, it just picks random people, it doesn't keep the most recent method of sending a pic at the top of the options either. There are also four spots for supposed recent contacts but the fourth is always greyed out.
I only use MMS and BT to send pics and they don't stay at the top of the list, again it just puts whatever it wants at the top.
I'd like to be able to set my call records so I can see a time and duration for each call but you have to press each call and click details to get said info.
There seems to be no way to compress an image without downloading an app, I just send myself a pic message and use that to upload here.
The phone doesn't like that I have not "finished" setting up my six month old phone, it still has Customise your phone, Add emergency Info and add a fingerprint at the top of my settings menu, why?

Every now and again it tries to force me in to agreeing to send a pic by some other stupid Google shit and there is no "no" option so you have to go back and then start the operation again.

The camera app, I tap the screen to pre focus and get the exposure right but it re-does it anyway and does a fucking terrible job with exposure, I think this is in part a HTC issue as Vanilla Android has slightly different controls and is easier to use manually.

There are times I just want to hit the thing with a hammer, it's just a phone, why does it have to be so difficult?!

EDIT- And the damn volume control, why would I want to change the media volume from the lock screen? Let me adjust the damn ringtone volume without having to play with sliders. It is better than it was when Android 10 first came out but it still sucks, I work next to engines and I work indoors, I change my ringtone volume somewhat often, well I did, now I'm just the A hole with the really loud ringtone.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Maybe some day I'll understand the logistics behind FedEx sending something from a facility 26 miles away to another FedEx facility 87 miles away, only to send it back to the other facility a day later for delivery. Today, however, is not that day.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
(posting here to keep the Leogang thread clean)
About 7 years go I went to Tandil, the closest-to-home hilly destination, to spend the weekend biking with some friends. On Sunday, in our last lap before we hit the road back to our place, we decided to take on the Cerro de la Cruz. The dowhnill track isn't hard, but the first 50 meters are basically a very narrow path carved between rock knives pointing up. One of the guys in front of me hit his brakes too hard, I did the same, and my front wheel got stuck against one fo those rock blades. As I went OTB, I opened my legs to jump over the bike, but my left shoe didn't unclip from the pedal. Also, the handlebar got stuck pointing up, so I landed pelvis first on it.

Had the hit been two inches lower, I would have had to go on the same surgery as Flo, two inches above and I would have ended picking my intetestins from the floor. I remeber I picked myself up the best way I could and finished the run almost blinded by tears. The worst three minutes of my life.

Reading about Flo's accident revived all that pain and suffering. I still carry the sequels, as the perymisium surrounding the muscles on my pelvis (just above my penis) got ripped, and the physician said it didn't warrant a surgery.

I still maintain I filled my underwear better than most male strippers out there in the following month tough.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was driving today and had a leech attached to the inside of a knuckle.
I pulled it off and put it in a little binnacle in the door, kept an eye on it for a few minutes and it didn't seem to want to go far.
Had a look a few minutes later and it was gone, I might have to torch the car, fuck!

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fuck I haven't really looked at the news about that, but saw a picture of it - it looked like a small corner of the building fell.

But that video..."partial collapse" yeah okay...thats crazy. That looks like most of the building. :(

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I really don't care, do you?

(Fuck Florida* with Al Gore's hanging Chad)

But I read it was sinkhole + hurricane remediation efforts which placed heavy structural panels on the roof.

Apparently it was well known to have "issues"

*Freedumb isn't free

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You're probably right. And being Florida, they probably knew about it, but it was going to be too expensive to actually do anything about it... so they just rolled the dice. But, you know... that's the price for Capitalist freedom. :disgust:
Scientists have warned for years that building on barrier islands is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons, a major one being that the landmass is composed of sand and mud, neither of which are inherently stable.

Predictably, they've been ignored, as that's primo high dollar real estate.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Scientists have warned for years that building on barrier islands is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons, a major one being that the landmass is composed of sand and mud, neither of which are inherently stable.

Predictably, they've been ignored, as that's primo high dollar real estate.
Me on the day after everyone realizes that land is FUCKED and the prices of *everything* there drop to 0: