Quantcast

the random thought thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So for the last 20 years I have saved axel parts. Various Hubs and stuff. I was able to take those parts and convert my 7/8 speed hubs to 9/11 speed hubs by changing Freehubs and axel parts. Initial testing has been successful mostly. Still cannot ride wheelies however....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ace hardware sells Craftsmen tools. However if you had a Metric Tape Measure. You can no longer get the Metric blade refill there. They can order it for you to qualify. Only took 3 months before they notified me it was in. My cuts using the English refill were really bad. Plywood is expensive...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was sent a family tree from a relative, I didn't look but I figured there'd be some inbreeding in there and wondered if anyone had the domain name incestry.com

It goes to Chaturbate couples cams, hahahaha!

White people and their obsession with Ancestry can fuck right off, it should just say that if you are white you are most probably the descendants of rapey invaders.

Last edited:
Kitchen sink drain leak and lack of venting

Noted 8/30/2021.

Top of air gap/air admittance valve wants to be about nine inches above top of horizontal drain pipe.

1) Vacuum water out of traps.
2) Remove, clean, and examine drain pipe, traps, and their seals.
3) Obtain proper seals if we don't have them.
4) Measure and cut horizontal drain pipe proper length to insert tee for air gap.
5) Dry fit and double check.
6) Glue in tee, riser, and air gap body, screw in valve.
7) reassemble and leak test.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Non-CO plated vehicles should be prohibited from spending more than 30 seconds at a time out of the furthest right lane on I-70 through the mountains.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Non-CO plated vehicles should be prohibited from spending more than 30 seconds at a time out of the furthest right lane on I-70 through the mountains.
Northwesterners think the left lane is a birthright. People will drive in the HOV at the exact same speed in a traffic jam with miles of open road ahead of them. There seems to be an inmate sheep like desire to just travel along next to someone.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So they give you the Card. If you pay off the balance each month and they give you 3% cash back? How does this benefit them when I buy Gas? I just can't wrap my head around them subsidizing my purchases. I read the terms.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So they give you the Card. If you pay off the balance each month and they give you 3% cash back? How does this benefit them when I buy Gas? I just can't wrap my head around them subsidizing my purchases. I read the terms.
Maybe, just maybe, the gas station pays them a 5% commission.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Go to your local Specialized dealer and take a proper test drive. Get back to me on that.
No, my dad is 73 and he said he might get an E-Bike when he gets old, I'll hopefully be like him.
I'm not riding much at the moment but I usually ride to the bush then ride home, if it was on an E-bike I'd have to do more loops and would most probably tire of the trails more quickly.
I don't doubt that they are fun but I can't bring myself to buy a carbon bike because of how shit they are for the environment, I'd feel really guilty if I bought an E-bike, I'm a bit nuts.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
No, my dad is 73 and he said he might get an E-Bike when he gets old, I'll hopefully be like him.
I'm not riding much at the moment but I usually ride to the bush then ride home, if it was on an E-bike I'd have to do more loops and would most probably tire of the trails more quickly.
I don't doubt that they are fun but I can't bring myself to buy a carbon bike because of how shit they are for the environment, I'd feel really guilty if I bought an E-bike, I'm a bit nuts.
I like being pedally also. I have been pedally most of my life.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
E-Bikes are a waste of lithium.
Your sense of scale needs a serious recalibration. Driving a petrol car for a few days is the same impact as buying a carbon frame. Aluminium and steel frames use a shit tonne of energy to make and IRL are nearly never actually recycled. Nearly all these bullshit articles saying steel is lower energy than CF discount the massive energy required for the actual mining of ore and creation of the steel and often only count the energy required to go from shit steel to fancy. Secondly, wherever you start from, all these effects combined are an absolute drip in the ocean compared to the energy the general hydrocarbon economy wastes through stupidity every hour, or the damage that one oil spill does. Our bikes are not the fucking problem here, other than their contributions to the general mindset/state/acceptance of consumer capitalism ideals.

TL;DR: Your assertion that you should feel guilty about riding an carbon/ebike whilst still driving a petrol car every day is seriously crazy. The petrol car is 100x worse.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Your sense of scale needs a serious recalibration. Driving a petrol car for a few days is the same impact as buying a carbon frame. Aluminium and steel frames use a shit tonne of energy to make and IRL are nearly never actually recycled. Nearly all these bullshit articles saying steel is lower energy than CF discount the massive energy required for the actual mining of ore and creation of the steel and often only count the energy required to go from shit steel to fancy. Secondly, wherever you start from, all these effects combined are an absolute drip in the ocean compared to the energy the general hydrocarbon economy wastes through stupidity every hour, or the damage that one oil spill does. Our bikes are not the fucking problem here, other than their contributions to the general mindset/state/acceptance of consumer capitalism ideals.

TL;DR: Your assertion that you should feel guilty about riding an carbon/ebike whilst still driving a petrol car every day is seriously crazy. The petrol car is 100x worse.
You are at it again. :sarcastic:
What you are saying is "everything I do is OK for the environment and that is why I am sitting on a high horse and criticize everyone that does something different". Sure, buying a carbon bike is a small impact, but driving a car as an individual has a similar negligible effect on the global scale. But if everybody does it the effects are magnified. So replacing a bike that normally would be pedalled with one that has a motor is adding to the problem not solving it, especially when everybody and their dog are doing it.
Talk to me about sense of scale. What we are currently doing is just trying to mitigate the effects of climate change, not stopping it. From an ecologic point of view the human population is just not sustainable for the ecoystem and therefore needs to be reduced. Or we need to make tough decisions about our lifestyle, like not having kids, not flying, not using transport as much, .... bascially going back to a simpler lifestyle ! Are you willing to do that or are you still trying to calm your consciousness by buying battery-powered everything?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I have been getting up to a month out of a 60L tank lately, these days I very rarely put the bike in the car to go for a ride. With most of my spent components I disassemble them and sort them in tubs, I work at a couple of metal recycling sites so I just give bits to them. Also work at a plastic and paper recycling depot, plastics/glasses were all sorted just near my work but now they get loaded in to a truck and sent on a 100+km trip and I have no idea what then happens to it, probably landfill now as nobody wants our plastics, as far as I know nobody in Australia recycles carbon.

I spend a bit of time fixing machinery that other companies will say is too old to bother fixing as a lot get commission for equipment sales or just don't want the work. We get to work on everything from brushless AC stuff to a supercharged Detroit two stroke, it's a weird job.

As for bikes, I have one bike for everything and an old DH bike in bits for nostalgia, if a bike worked I generally rode it till it broke, for the last 20years* I have bought frames and transferred parts replacing them as they broke.
*Bought one used complete bike.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So for the last 20 years I have saved axel parts. Various Hubs and stuff. I was able to take those parts and convert my 7/8 speed hubs to 9/11 speed hubs by changing Freehubs and axel parts. Initial testing has been successful mostly. Still cannot ride wheelies however....
I have an enduring dream in which I ride wheelies all over the place...yet in real life, not if my life depended on it. Sad face...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Still makes me chuckle thinking about that time @stoney stole his kid's bike. Classic. :rofl:
And you know what? She is super on top of where her bike is when she goes out with her friends. It's always near them and it they go inside it always gets put up onto the porch or in the backyard.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
You are at it again. :sarcastic:
What you are saying is "everything I do is OK for the environment and that is why I am sitting on a high horse and criticize everyone that does something different".
I think you should be careful ascribing motive and emotion to people you don’t known on the internet, my guy. This has nothing to do with me, it is a statement of fact.
Sure, buying a carbon bike is a small impact, but driving a car as an individual has a similar negligible effect on the global scale. But if everybody does it the effects are magnified. So replacing a bike that normally would be pedalled with one that has a motor is adding to the problem not solving it, especially when everybody and their dog are doing it.
If everyone on the planet bought a carbon ebike? What the fuck are you talking about? Just FYI there are something like 1.5 billion cars on the planet, let alone trucks etc. There is a massive extractive industry, one of the biggest sectors of industry period whose only purpose is to fuel these. Again, abatement of emissions from this sector is necessary and make an actual difference. The bike industry’s carbon footprint is a rounding error on this scale. Again, not buying a bike (which also means you don’t burn more carbon when travelling on it) is an absolute nothing-burger in this context.
Talk to me about sense of scale.
I’m trying to dude, you don’t seem to have one though.
What we are currently doing is just trying to mitigate the effects of climate change, not stopping it. From an ecologic point of view the human population is just not sustainable for the ecoystem and therefore needs to be reduced. Or we need to make tough decisions about our lifestyle, like not having kids, not flying, not using transport as much, .... bascially going back to a simpler lifestyle ! Are you willing to do that or are you still trying to calm your consciousness by buying battery-powered everything?
This isn’t true. We have the tech to change our economy, feed the world and have a better future today. Countries are already doing it. Countries like Denmark now frequently have days where the entire country is oversupplied with renewable electricity and it is exported into Europe. Once transport and heavy industry are decarbonised we’re 2/3s done. As for the ‘overpopulation’ idea, this isn’t a timely solution, and you might want to think through the consequences of that viewpoint.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I would like to get to know myself under a different circumstance if that was possible. I am capable of going on long rides without saying anything or being annoying. Not always but most of the time...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Strength does not necessarily correlate with introspection and understanding.
I think I levelled up more on acid, possibly because I did it first. Shrooms feel great and look good but I never felt ‘changed’ by them. I would take shrooms more casually than I would take acid. I never did Ayahuasca, whatever that is, but I took Peyote once and didn’t really get much off it, probably should have done more. Did proper Kavakava once with the locals in Vanuatu, that was a ’class A’ experience, but the nausea was overwhelming at the end, yuk.