Quantcast

the random thought thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The amount per transaction is, in part, a security measure. As you noted in your letter, US security forces are lazy. They also have limited budgets. Bait of 10,000 USD or 20,000 USD to catch an agent are within their normal activities. 1000,000 USD and more? They may offer it, but they will not deliver such a large amount. New reports confirm this is a common tactic used by U.S. security forces to expose agents. Please do not be offended by this, but your generosity so far also matches exactly an adversaries (sic0 likely play to entrap me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I had one AC/DC album in my collection. While listening to a cut yesterday, it became apparent that the lyrics were describing rape. AC/DC is no longer in my collection.
Hmmm, I have some weird search history now but I assume it was- Let Me Put My Love Into You?

They aren't the nicest of lyrics.

Dance With the Devil by Immortal Technique is a tough listen, it's a well told story but still a very tough listen.
The above song is just a story but it doesn't sound that way.
EDIT- If anyone is somewhat sensitive probably don't listen to Dance With The Devil, hadn't heard it for a while but it still messes with my head,
There are so many reaction videos to it on YT now.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My current phone and my last phone both have 5Ah batteries but the current one lasts a touch over half the battery life of the previous one.
Even on the most hardcore battery saving mode it doesn't come close to the previous one with no power saving stuff turned on. Guess a faster chip and an AMOLED screen uses way more power........?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My current phone and my last phone both have 5Ah batteries but the current one lasts a touch over half the battery life of the previous one.
Even on the most hardcore battery saving mode it doesn't come close to the previous one with no power saving stuff turned on. Guess a faster chip and an AMOLED screen uses way more power........?
Could also be bloatware or some malicious software installed consuming resources.

My work and personal laptops have the same processor, the work one overheats just sitting idle because the corporate core load is both bloatware and malicious.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Could also be bloatware or some malicious software installed consuming resources.

My work and personal laptops have the same processor, the work one overheats just sitting idle because the corporate core load is both bloatware and malicious.
It has been crap since new and runs almost pure Android, I have seen a few reports of people saying the same, I think it can use ~8% overnight with no use.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm constantly amazed, though I probably shouldn't be, that we live in a day when a vast sum of human knowledge is easily accessible with a few swipes, yet people will doggedly defend their (often misguided) opinions.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I'm constantly amazed, though I probably shouldn't be, that we live in a day when a vast sum of human knowledge is easily accessible with a few swipes, yet people will doggedly defend their (often misguided) opinions.
I think this is an important idea. The societal rate of change is causing a section of the population to flip out. They can’t deal, and are increasingly using more and more ridiculous ‘excuses’/mental coping mechanisms/lies to ‘check out’ of the consequences of the things that are happening and their actions. It’s a new type of Future Shock. ‘Going retarded’.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't understand how the show 'Suits" ran for so many seasons, it is boring as shit.
Also, fuck people that walk on timber floors in high heels!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I think this is an important idea. The societal rate of change is causing a section of the population to flip out. They can’t deal, and are increasingly using more and more ridiculous ‘excuses’/mental coping mechanisms/lies to ‘check out’ of the consequences of the things that are happening and their actions. It’s a new type of Future Shock. ‘Going retarded’.
Ignorance has become a choice. And you are right, a not so insignificant portion of the population has made this choice and shut their minds to the prospect of change. Why is this? Hubris? The idea that to fail means one is a failure? That the society is evolving at such a pace that we deny in order to preserve that little slice of what we "know"?

That, to me, is one of the more disturbing consequences of this "fake news" nonsense. When we all accept the same set of facts but reach different conclusions it's one thing. But we find ourselves with the mass adoption of an alternate reality to support ideas that people believe for no reason other than they want to believe them and justify their obtuseness.

Maybe it's always been this way and the internet has just given a bullhorn to these pockets of lunacy, allowing them to reach out and find the other loons.

And to think this rant all started because my MIL keeps insisting we should feed our baby warmed milk, despite there being absolutely no evidence from any reputable or accredited body that this has any impact on anything. Yet her experience raising a single child gives her the expertise to proffer this as if it were fact. When confronted with the former she retreats to the latter, without taking a moment to consider that her single data point may not be representative of any greater trend beyond that single data point. Our child drinks cold milk because she likes cold milk.

Also, please reconsider using the word retard. It is insulting to those with intellectual disabilities. That and even if it weren't, they don't deserve to be lumped in with intellectually ignorant imbeciles we are actually talking about.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
But we find ourselves with the mass adoption of an alternate reality to support ideas that people believe for no reason other than they want to believe them and justify their obtuseness.
But which reality is the real one? ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ignorance has become a choice. And you are right, a not so insignificant portion of the population has made this choice and shut their minds to the prospect of change. Why is this? Hubris? The idea that to fail means one is a failure? That the society is evolving at such a pace that we deny in order to preserve that little slice of what we "know"?

That, to me, is one of the more disturbing consequences of this "fake news" nonsense. When we all accept the same set of facts but reach different conclusions it's one thing. But we find ourselves with the mass adoption of an alternate reality to support ideas that people believe for no reason other than they want to believe them and justify their obtuseness.

Maybe it's always been this way and the internet has just given a bullhorn to these pockets of lunacy, allowing them to reach out and find the other loons.

And to think this rant all started because my MIL keeps insisting we should feed our baby warmed milk, despite there being absolutely no evidence from any reputable or accredited body that this has any impact on anything. Yet her experience raising a single child gives her the expertise to proffer this as if it were fact. When confronted with the former she retreats to the latter, without taking a moment to consider that her single data point may not be representative of any greater trend beyond that single data point. Our child drinks cold milk because she likes cold milk.

Also, please reconsider using the word retard. It is insulting to those with intellectual disabilities. That and even if it weren't, they don't deserve to be lumped in with intellectually ignorant imbeciles we are actually talking about.
I've recently read a few books that touch upon this subject, in particular the chapter "discovery of ignorance" in the book Sapiens. A very good read.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
All Forks have Sleeve Bearings. A traditional bearing and a sleeve bearing are not infinite. Subject to wear and need to checked and replaced now and then. You get my point surely...
Haha, no I didn't get your point.
After a few rides my Mezzer has a bit of a fore/aft clunk from bushing movement, warranty won't happen as I bought them from a shady online bike shop.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Which shady online bike shop?
Shady is possibly a touch harsh but they were selling stuff that was normally OEM only and don't seem to offer any repair services for Manitou forks, they sell them but there is no official reseller in Aus.
Seems Covid has cleared them out of some seriously oddball frames-

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I haven't sold anything through PayPal in a while, probably 1 or 2 years?

Apparently PayPal now holds only the money being paid to you, if you've been inactive. And their faqs say it could be help up to almost a month.

wtf?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm not sure if the tag on the Random Picture Thread is supposed to read- An album cover, or- Anal bum cover.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
AMOLED screens *should* waste less battery. I'd blame the shorter battery life on the scheduler/governor/throttling settings of the newer phone. Mind I ask what brands/models are we talking about?
Didn't see that reply, had a HTC U20 5G with a 5AH battery and an IPS display, now I have an ASUS Zenfone 8 Flip, same capacity battery but faster processor and an AMOLED display.
I bought the HTC because it looked like it was going to be the last out of their Taiwanese factory, I hope it is because it sucked and got one firmware update in nine months.