Quantcast

the random thought thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If E-bikers took steroids they wouldn't need an E-bike and they'd be funnier to watch when throwing tantrums on the trail.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I wish local news would start pushing the concepts of water conservation harder given that there's feck all snowpack at the moment.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
just walked into a local bike shop.....

Hello there, how can we help you...

Do you guys carry brooks saddles?

Um, Er... No, we are a bike shop....

I turned around and left.
If they have a coffee maker or hipster beer stickers on things they would have a good chance of selling Brooks saddles.
Brooks saddles are like Dahon bikes, some people want them, most don't.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wanted to physically check out a cambium before I pull the trigger for the bikepacking bike. was able to compare a 17 and a 19 at another shop.
I remember my former local having a Brooks seat there for about three years, it became an ongoing joke.
I don't doubt that they are comfortable but I don't think I could enjoy a ride with a lounge chair on my bike, I want to be able to hit some small drops and jumps and get over the back of the seat.
A Chromag Trailmaster LTD was almost perfect for me but it was a bit wide in the middle and caused chafing, in saying that I don't have much trouble on a normal MTB seat for ~5hrs without wearing padded pantaloons.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I remember my former local having a Brooks seat there for about three years, it became an ongoing joke.
I don't doubt that they are comfortable but I don't think I could enjoy a ride with a lounge chair on my bike, I want to be able to hit some small drops and jumps and get over the back of the seat.
A Chromag Trailmaster LTD was almost perfect for me but it was a bit wide in the middle and caused chafing, in saying that I don't have much trouble on a normal MTB seat for ~5hrs without wearing padded pantaloons.
Its essentially an all weather, updated modern and sculpted version of the old school leather kind

1639272623409.png

1639272732631.png

Still narrow enough for a roadie position on drop bars but has the support for my pin bone width.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Not an old fuddy just yet.

But if I were to take a brisk jaunt around the english country side after tea it may be fashionable.
Cool, just let me know if you need a left or right handed monocle and to which side your head tilts when forced to gaze downward upon the boorish serfs on your way to purchase artisanal mustache wax. Very important to weight the monocle handle to compensate for said tilt. Please try to be accurate.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Cool, just let me know if you need a left or right handed monocle and to which side your head tilts when forced to gaze downward upon the boorish serfs on your way to purchase artisanal mustache wax. Very important to weight the monocle handle to compensate for said tilt. Please try to be accurate.
Very good sir, I will indeed browse your wares in hopes of a distinguishing piece.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I find it odd that greenies get excited about a new VW group electric car.

People are now fine with the Dieselgate and the pollution cartel? Hitler would be a proud boi.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wish it was still possible to buy a good quality dumb TV, a dumb TV with a NVIDIA Shield is so much better to use than a current LG or Samsung smart television.
My brother has a 50" monitor with no tuner so he doesn't have to pay some black plague tax or some stupid shit that the UK still has.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I love our health system, my eyes went to shit, call a Gov run after hours medical clinic, Dr calls me back 10 mins later and sends me a QR code script for steroidal eye drops and they are all I have to pay for, $9.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I find it odd that greenies get excited about a new VW group electric car.

People are now fine with the Dieselgate and the pollution cartel? Hitler would be a proud boi.
No dude, the literal point is they are actually changing what they produce to be better. This is a good thing.

Hitler?

Do you still own an ICE vehicle?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wish it was still possible to buy a good quality dumb TV, a dumb TV with a NVIDIA Shield is so much better to use than a current LG or Samsung smart television.
My brother has a 50" monitor with no tuner so he doesn't have to pay some black plague tax or some stupid shit that the UK still has.
Look for digital sign displays, most have no features. But they cost a little more.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No dude, the literal point is they are actually changing what they produce to be better. This is a good thing.

Hitler?

Do you still own an ICE vehicle?
Doesn't get rid of the fact that they were and possibly still are a lying bunch of cunts.
Of the people I know with small IC VW group cars probably 2/3 have had an engine or trans die under warranty, one got to the third engine at the 5yr mark, another was told it was normal for his 3yr old Audi to consume over a litre of oil a month, those two owners were both mechanics. Boss's daughter got a new DSG at the three month mark and the replacement is not happy, a former riding chum ended up with VW buying his Gti back because it was such a lemon.

Even my sister's Toerag was one of the wonderful VWs that would just turn off for long lengths of time. One day she pulled in to a merging lane and it just lost everything, happened for a second time, it went back to VW and they said there was no issue. My brother in law was so pissed he took a day off work to go talk to a tech and got them to replace(I believe) a fuel solenoid/relay and it had no further issues.

Hitler, coz I'm an asshole.

Yes, I am a mecahnic so I drive what I can fix.

Had a weird electric one a couple of days ago, 10KW Brushed DC motor, computer said contactor fault. The motor had a hole melted through the fan but had no short to earth, aside from loads of carbon buildup I have no idea how the hell it could have happened. The brushes were tight in the holders which caused some shorted segments on the com but after a clean up everything metered fine, electric voodoo!
I am trying as much as I can to learn about electric stuff but most of the new stuff I see is bottom of the barrel Chinese junk that often isn't worthwhile repairing or there are no schematics or English manuals available.

Attachments

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Doesn't get rid of the fact that they were and possibly still are a lying bunch of cunts.
Of the people I know with small IC VW group cars probably 2/3 have had an engine or trans die under warranty, one got to the third engine at the 5yr mark, another was told it was normal for his 3yr old Audi to consume over a litre of oil a month, those two owners were both mechanics. Boss's daughter got a new DSG at the three month mark and the replacement is not happy, a former riding chum ended up with VW buying his Gti back because it was such a lemon.

Even my sister's Toerag was one of the wonderful VWs that would just turn off for long lengths of time. One day she pulled in to a merging lane and it just lost everything, happened for a second time, it went back to VW and they said there was no issue. My brother in law was so pissed he took a day off work to go talk to a tech and got them to replace(I believe) a fuel solenoid/relay and it had no further issues.

Hitler, coz I'm an asshole.

Yes, I am a mecahnic so I drive what I can fix.

Had a weird electric one a couple of days ago, 10KW Brushed DC motor, computer said contactor fault. The motor had a hole melted through the fan but had no short to earth, aside from loads of carbon buildup I have no idea how the hell it could have happened. The brushes were tight in the holders which caused some shorted segments on the com but after a clean up everything metered fine, electric voodoo!
I am trying as much as I can to learn about electric stuff but most of the new stuff I see is bottom of the barrel Chinese junk that often isn't worthwhile repairing or there are no schematics or English manuals available.
Weird, from my experiences and those of the workshop I frequent, VWs seem to be more reliable than most other cars. Especially older Diesel ones, but thank god they are so bad for the environment so they can be removed from the streets soon. :rolleyes: They will be replaced with new EVs with tons of electronic gadgets that, of course, are super reliable and will never break. :tinfoil:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Weird, from my experiences and those of the workshop I frequent, VWs seem to be more reliable than most other cars. Especially older Diesel ones, but thank god they are so bad for the environment so they can be removed from the streets soon. :rolleyes: They will be replaced with new EVs with tons of electronic gadgets that, of course, are super reliable and will never break. :tinfoil:
The larger Diesel ones do seem to be better than average for reliability from what I have seen, but if it has a traditional auto trans that is supposedly sealed for life they will last a lot longer if you treat them as a normal trans and change the fluid, I think the newer DSGs are supposed to be more reliable.
A guy up the road from me had an electric water pump on his Amarok fail and the dealership got the diagnosis wrong and blamed a glycol sensor, then a brand new one. He told them he could smell that it was getting hot but they dismissed it, ended up costing the dealership 20k.

I'll be impressed if the Germans can make complex, reliable consumer grade electronics/electrics.
I got a German made pressure washer today, I trust it because it has a motor, a go switch and a pressure switch, if it was any fancier than that I would have left it on the shelf.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Look for digital sign displays, most have no features. But they cost a little more.
I'm an idiot, turning off the Wi-Fi on the TV makes it way dumberer, it removes all of the Apple and Disney ads and makes it a bunch quicker to turn on and be useful.

But the NEC trade screens seem pretty reasonably priced, maybe next time.

EDIT- Going to use the advice in this post to block the ads on the Samsung-

Double Edit- Bastards!

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Calling a dude about a bike on CL

ME: was just checking to see if the bike was still for sale and if I can come look at it.

Him: Hell ya man, its a sweet ass double shock climber bike. I think it has 6 or 7 gears in back but only one or two up front so I dont think its super fast like a 10 speed or anything.

ME: Hung up.....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Brits make the worst game shows, 9 years and this is supposed to be the most exciting thing to happen-

The show "Pointless" is just as torturous to watch.