Quantcast

the random thought thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
When I was looking to buy a battery analyser I figured that I'd split the difference with the spelling and image search "Battery Anal".

It was quite the eye opener.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The amazing thing about human language is that it didn't necessarily evolve genetically. Pre-language humans could communicate similarly to other mammals and had the same brain structures. Language was learned and never in a single individual as communication requires multiple participants. The brain learned language by using existing structures. The real revolution of language actually is that is actually changed our inner monologue. But this new language of conscious thought may have alienated our subconscious which cannot communicate via words as we know them.
UGHRMPF!

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
An ad for Trutune negative-volume fork tokens showed up in my FB stream. Clicked on the discussion, found some rabid haters who can't live without volume spacers because do you even bottom out, bro? :monkey:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
An ad for Trutune negative-volume fork tokens showed up in my FB stream. Clicked on the discussion, found some rabid haters who can't live without volume spacers because do you even bottom out, bro? :monkey:

Chatted with a dude on the trail who was complaining that he couldn't get full travel out of his new Fox 38 and also felt harsh. 3 spacers, 25% sag, wide open HSC/LSC, fully closed HSR/LSR. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My mom's fuckin' rad, I got my sister's fam Electric Go-Kart gift vouchers for Christmas.
70yo mom just informed me that she's driving a kart when everybody goes "Or else!", hahaha!

They are so much fun, it's a pretty basic indoor course but the little Sodi Karts have some torque and are a bunch of fun.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Local news tonight, the one presenter has such a bad cold, they're super bunged up in their speech. I feel bad for the other guy having to sit next to her.

My wife commented she was probably all out of PTO/sick time for this year so just said eff it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I randomly package up newer used parts that have failed. I send them to the manufacturers. I usually mark the address as "Sales" or "Quality Control" depending on the company. Often, I don't hear anything from the recipients. But sometimes I unexpectedly get things in the mail. Always a Suprise that makes my day. I usually try to make sure the new part makes it to the original owner. Not always.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there a 'what grinds my gears' thread? Thought there was...

But anyways, I wish Microsoft would stop with the url changing and removing of old products and document pages. There are sooooooooooo many links and shortcuts out there in the wild on various website, forums, help docs etc etc that all get redirected to some random Windows 11 or Office365 page now. Come on man, leave our urls alone. :( I get that some of the stuff isn't supported anymore, but don't remove all traces of it. Make a new disclaimer or something, I don't know.

We have drifted into a multiplicity of "standards", equipment that is difficult to impossible to maintain. We're are likewise phasing into battery powered everything for what have been human powered machines and people are staring at screens rather than focusing on the experience of riding. Product lifetimes are decreasing. I won't get into my carbon rant. We can't get replacement parts for the gear we own.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
We have drifted into a multiplicity of "standards", equipment that is difficult to impossible to maintain. We're are likewise phasing into battery powered everything for what have been human powered machines and people are staring at screens rather than focusing on the experience of riding. Product lifetimes are decreasing. I won't get into my carbon rant. We can't get replacement parts for the gear we own.
I've made a concerted effort the past few years to buy less, and when I do to buy quality, durable goods. Sometimes this means scouring eBay for used or vintage things, other times it means grabbing an old piece of furniture in need of a refinish off the local marketplace. When I have to buy new things, I try to source items that will last decade(s), are made of quality materials and can be repaired.

I still question whether approach is doing anything other than costing more money in the short term. Oh well, you do what you can I guess.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Including bicycles and related gear.

I believe there is a lot of this going on around here

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

TL;DR - do they recommend meth? Asking for a friend.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

that's a lot of words for "ennui"

Life is a yelp review. You're going to get more bad reviews because people don't proclaim satisfaction with as much gumption.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
While I agree with you and you know that I am pretty outspoken about the right to repair issue....

...the only right answer for bike ownership is N+1!!!!!! :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've now reached the age where all of the things I used to eat as a kid that my parents said were too sugary are now too sugary for me.
You can't be far off the stage of not being able to eat some of them because you'll also destroy fillings/crowns too?