Quantcast

the random thought thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm selling a stem on PinkBike and have had a few bites.

But what's with the shipping, Canada Post?

It'll cost $18 to ship it to a city 2 hours away.

But if I ship it to California, its $16 for an untracked packaged. $23 for tracking.

:confused:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Forgotten deeds

Don't know why this popped into my semi senile brain but back around 1976 I was in my 72 FJ40 waiting for a guy to back out of a parking spot at Santa Monica College. This preppie in XKE whips down the aisle and pulls into the spot before the back end of the car that pulled out was clear of m bumper. I got out nd said he asshole I have been sitting here waiting for him to move out of my way. His response was tough shit hippie. I just looked at him and said if you walk away your jag won't be here when you come back. He flipped me the bird and left.

I unspooled about 20 feet of cable from my winch and pulled the jag into the aisle then dragged it out of the lot and left it blocking the intersection of 20th st and Pico Blvd. Pulled into the spot opened the backend pulled out a chair and a portable type writer and cracked a beer. SMPD showed up maybe 10 minutes later followed by a tow truck and away went the jag. Dude came out about an hour later and started Yelling where was his car. I said the cops towed it away. I guess you shouldn't have left it in the middle of the intersection over there. That's when he saw the tire skid marks. I stood up got in his face and said I told you it wouldn't be here when you got back. I had that your move asshole smile on my face. I was kind of disappointed when he just walked off.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well, that's it. I'm either jinxed, or the MTB Godz ™ don't want me in the trails again. Got the fork back from the shop, new seals and the air piston machined to the right tolerance. Put it on the bike and went with my kid for a short spin down a trail near home. Didn't even make it to the fucking trail, went through a pile of dirt and grass 3 blocks away from home and found out the bad way some asshole had dumped his garbage there. Heard a hiss and 5 seconds later the rear tire was empty.

IMG_20230205_152459_569.jpg

A fucking broken bottle was hiding in the mowed grass. Two fucking ~1 inch cuts. The tire is toasted. On a Saturday afternoon. I lost my Sunday ride :banghead:.

New tire will be here on Tuesday.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am finding that intricate tasks involved in Bicycle Mechanic's are outside the scope of my abilities now. And that charging folks for it is not an acceptable thing anymore. I just don't enjoy it enough for all the effort. Took apart my wheels and could not properly put them back together. Thats it I'm done...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am finding that intricate tasks involved in Bicycle Mechanic's are outside the scope of my abilities now. And that charging folks for it is not an acceptable thing anymore. I just don't enjoy it enough for all the effort. Took apart my wheels and could not properly put them back together. Thats it I'm done...
Yeah, bikes suck to work on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think there could be a worse texture than warm, bruised over-ripe banana.
Did gag a bit.
You just need a few glasses of Merlot and a desire to please.

Also I think there is a strange complex carbohydrate in bananas that the body finds unpleasant until some salivary enzymes get to work.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I want to buy a growler, not a beer growler or a car intake but an armature growler.
Weeding through pages of crap to hopefully find one listing that hasn't bothered putting armature or motor in the title.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
How these headphones review well for sound quality is beyond me, half an hour sliding my way around trying to polish a turd.
Factory default is bass boost so if you don't drag your knuckles when you walk you'll have to download an app just to make them sound nearly tolerable, fuck you LG, fuck you.
Screenshot_20230218-203014.png

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
How these headphones review well for sound quality is beyond me, half an hour sliding my way around trying to polish a turd.
Factory default is bass boost so if you don't drag your knuckles when you walk you'll have to download an app just to make them sound nearly tolerable, fuck you LG, fuck you.
View attachment 189543
That's because you opted for some northern king's chipped tooth for connectivity instead of choosing the properly gold-plated, nitrogen-infused cables all those in the know crave so much.

(just kidding, I feel your pain. Most what has good reviews these days is basically meant to listen to deep trance music)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's because you opted for some northern king's chipped tooth for connectivity instead of choosing the properly gold-plated, nitrogen-infused cables all those in the know crave so much.

(just kidding, I feel your pain. Most what has good reviews these days is basically meant to listen to deep trance music)
I don't have much luck finding decent headphones, the best sounding ones I have are some Bluetooth B&W ones but they drop out lots and play some horrible square wave sound then reboot. They did it since new but I figured an update would sort it, nope.
Got these J-Lab ones and I deem them more than acceptable, sound quality is okay, they have never dropped connection and the ANC even works pretty well in the wind as long as it's not blustery wind.
But they don't play well with sunglasses, should have thought of that.
I might email LG and see if I can return the new ones, they are poop, wish Shure made some that would get along with sunglasses, theirs seem to be the best thought out wireless headphones out there.

But my last Shures barely made it a year before the cables cracked.

Even my Focal over ear headphones sound worse than Sennheisers I bought in 2001, wish I got my old Sennheisers rebuilt, they were awesome. Cable on the focals died within a year too, I haven't bothered buying a new one because they sounded so shit.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I had good luck with the Adidas line of active headphones. They don't sound as good as mí wife's JBLs, but they are comfortable and don't whoosh when with the wind when riding fast. I even use them for my work meetings.
Seems Adidas and Marshall are made by Zound Industries and Adidas have some solar powered headphones and POC have a helmet with a light using this fancy solar stuff-

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ordered some screws online cause I couldn't source them locally. So far I've received 8 emails related to this purchase and shipment. 8! That's 6 too many.

And no, I don't want to download some silly app solely to track my order. Just gimme the FedEx tracking number and let that be the end of it.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
How come you could show up to do a job, no matter how small, with an entire homedepot with you and it still wouldn’t be enough. You’ll have to go get something and then something else.