Quantcast

the random thought thread

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Trees are wild man. I'm Looking out the window at some 120ft tall eastern white pines swaying in the breeze, knowing the only thing stopping them from toppling over and squashing me is their tenuous hold on the earth.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Trees are wild man. I'm Looking out the window at some 120ft tall eastern white pines swaying in the breeze, knowing the only thing stopping them from toppling over and squashing me is their tenuous hold on the earth.
My neighbour's planted a Red Cedar out the front of their house.
Planting a tree that can grow to 200ft near your water supply, underground cables and between two driveways seems a bit silly.
Random pic from the interwebs-
1677270609148.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
People are generally quite stupid when it comes to planting trees.
Neighbor has about 5 doug firs growing just a few feet from each other which means they grow tall and skinny very quickly, they are at least 200'. I am exactly down wind for when we have storms. Pretty sure one of those trees will be the demise of my house.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Neighbor has about 5 doug firs growing just a few feet from each other which means they grow tall and skinny very quickly, they are at least 200'. I am exactly down wind for when we have storms. Pretty sure one of those trees will be the demise of my house.
Case in point.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You murikans and your obsession with big stuff...

I want to have a cherry tree and a liquidambar in front of my new house. And maybe a palm tree in the backyard.
Liquidambers can get fucked! Stupid plant that drops seeds that suck to stand on, cleaning those massive leaves out of gutters also sucks then they shoot out loads of suckers when they feel like it.

I have another one in the creek that I want to poison but it is too close to powelines.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I want a yard full of sugar maples, maybe a dogwood or two and some redbuds. Right now, all we've got are some scraggly ass pines, a magnolia, a Bradford pear, and a bunch of maples, oaks, and elm that need to be taken down.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My yard is full of junipers. I see the beauty in them because I choose too. Sometimes in the fall it freezes early and makes the berries ferment, then the birds eat them and get hammered. Around sunset they will all chirp a cacophony of bird nonsense. It’s quite interesting.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My yard is full of junipers. I see the beauty in them because I choose too. Sometimes in the fall it freezes early and makes the berries ferment, then the birds eat them and get hammered. Around sunset they will all chirp a cacophony of bird nonsense. It’s quite interesting.
If one has never seen a magpie drunk off its ass doing exactly this, one has not truly lived....

#des-life

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Need to be taken down why?
90% of those needing to be taken down are rotten, the bases are damaged such that if I don't take them proactively, they're likely to come down unpredictably. As to why they died, I'm not sure, I can only guess that changes to the local drainage resulting from development placed them in a spot that's wetter than ideal for that type of tree.

The remaining 10% are either just flat out dead or too close to the house.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
fucking senior moment of panic

Cleaned out all my fly fishing gear from the camper. Could not find the bag with 10 reels and all my flies. No way I left them in the campsite, Corey drove off after me and would have seen it. Tore through all my crap twice then I realized that I had not extended the slide all the way. looked under the lip and there it was....must be over $2000 dollars of gear in that bag

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
IT: "Passwords shouldn't be written down either on paper or electronically"

Also IT: Auto-assigns unchangeable 10-digit gobbledygook password made up of uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers for a system that is infrequently used.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
IT: "Passwords shouldn't be written down either on paper or electronically"

Also IT: Auto-assigns unchangeable 10-digit gobbledygook password made up of uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers for a system that is infrequently used.
1. Get a password manager*.
2. Use two-factor authentication for the password manager's master key.
3. Profit.

*I recommend open-source ones, such as BitWarden and Passbolt.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If only. No unauthorized software is allowed on company machines, password managers included. I don't even have IT permissions to install one even if I tried.
Ahh, my bad. Never considered that scenario. Even my most security-by-obscurity oriented customers are migrating to password managers!

Could you at least change the random gibberish password to something easier to remember?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Ahh, my bad. Never considered that scenario. Even my most security-by-obscurity oriented customers are migrating to password managers!

Could you at least change the random gibberish password to something easier to remember?
Nope. Per IT, it is unchangeable and there is 0 chance I will ever remember this, something I've heard from other coworkers too.

Instead, I have it written down, likely negating any security benefit they derived from this goofy setup in the first place.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Nope. Per IT, it is unchangeable and there is 0 chance I will ever remember this, something I've heard from other coworkers too.

Instead, I have it written down, likely negating any security benefit they derived from this goofy setup in the first place.
I feel your pain.

That kind of regulation could come only from someone who spent time in military security.

Or maybe somebody with a terrible infance :D.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Install a password manager on your phone.
I'd say put up a fight.

Password protect an excel file with all your "passwords" in it. Then forget the password to it.

Open a ticket and ask them to solve your problem.

Any situation where you are told to not write then down or have them in plain text, but they also must be complex and unique, is just asking for trouble and is dumb. Even a simple keepass manager type file is better than nothing.

Actually...keepass does offer a portable version, no installation necessary.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If young Aussies couldn't use- `100%`, 'actually', 'literally' and 'it is what it is'......... I 100% actually literally think they'd struggle to form a coherent sentence, but it is what it is I guess.