Quantcast

the random thought thread

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If young Aussies couldn't use- `100%`, 'actually', 'literally' and 'it is what it is'......... I 100% actually literally think they'd struggle to form a coherent sentence, but it is what it is I guess.
My new director despite being from Illinois has a thick valley girl accent. She uses "um" and "like" at a minimum 2:1 ratio with words that actually contribute to communicating ideas. I have no idea how she got an upper level management role let alone get through a job interview. It is physically painful to have a conversation with her. I have no idea if she is actually good at her job because her speach is so annoyingly distracting, which kind of means no.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After tuning the damping on one of my forks and getting incredible mid stroke support I became intrigued by various forks and modifications that have 3 air chambers like the Mezzer Pro, Ohlins RFX Air, and the DSD runt for increased linearity.

Unable to resist the siren song of math I calculated the effective spring rates of various air chamber sizes and pressures to see how they look. Given the same available air volume the third air chamber can be an easy way to change ramp up, but it is impossible for the third chamber to provide any additional linearity or "mid stroke support". The third chamber can improve linearity compared to adding spacers, but no better than removing spacers and increasing pressures. Linearity is wholly a function of compression ratio and the positive to negative chamber ratio. The Mezzer and Ohlins could better linearity by having lower compression ratios but the third chamber is just an easier way to adjust ramp up over spacers.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
After tuning the damping on one of my forks and getting incredible mid stroke support I became intrigued by various forks and modifications that have 3 air chambers like the Mezzer Pro, Ohlins RFX Air, and the DSD runt for increased linearity.
I am curious about your Avy midvalve float mod.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am curious about your Avy midvalve float mod.
If you look in their midvalve setup manual, all I did was change around some of the 10mm shims to go from the Standard Dive setup to the Least Dive setup. I didn't change any of the other shims but they are all about the same. I did have to back off my LSC compression about 5 clicks from the middle so it wasn't too harsh so I may want to try .15mm of float and get my clicker closer to the middle. Alas there is snow in my way so it will be a while until I get to ride and test things out more. The base valve was shimmed a little stronger than the Enduro settings they have documented in some other random place, which makes sense for my weight. If you try anything double check Avy's numbers as they don't do math very well. The listed .3mm float setup actually has .25mm of float

1677893219065.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Vacuum flasks have taken over the world, when did people become so precious about the temperature of their beverage?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeew, got lucky, the LG headphones I whinged about in here shat out after a month.

Took them back to the shop and they let me choose a different set, luckily there were some Sony headphones on clearance for the same money.
Gave them a whirl and they sound a bunch better, so I download the app to see what sort of evil EQ profile you are forced to listen to if you are app-phobic.
They come with the EQ turned off and no spatula shit applied, top work Sony! LG's needed heaps of EQ and they still sounded dreadful, these ones are on par with my bluetooth B&W in ears(can't wear them with a Camelbak or mechanic-ing).
8/10, would bang again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Anyone want to join me in starting up a discount airline ONLY for people traveling with kids? We’d save money by only serving warm milk. I wouldn’t fly on it of course, but the concept…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeew, got lucky, the LG headphones I whinged about in here shat out after a month.

Took them back to the shop and they let me choose a different set, luckily there were some Sony headphones on clearance for the same money.
Gave them a whirl and they sound a bunch better, so I download the app to see what sort of evil EQ profile you are forced to listen to if you are app-phobic.
They come with the EQ turned off and no spatula shit applied, top work Sony! LG's needed heaps of EQ and they still sounded dreadful, these ones are on par with my bluetooth B&W in ears(can't wear them with a Camelbak or mechanic-ing).
8/10, would bang again.
I got some sonys at Costco, they shit the bed in a couple months. Got the more expensive bose the second time around. Have had them years and they’ve been excellent.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I got some sonys at Costco, they shit the bed in a couple months. Got the more expensive bose the second time around. Have had them years and they’ve been excellent.
Yeah I had a couple of Sony phones that didn't last well and a friend does some decent domestic and commercial AV installs and said Sony TV's don't usually live all that long.
The shop I buy my small electrical things from is awesome with warranty, sometimes they will inform you of your rights as a consumer, they are always helpful.

I recently paid for an Xperia pro I online but found out a couple of weeks later that there was no stock and the phones were no longer in production.
I just want a phone that has an auto flash and takes natural looking photos, Sony and Sharp seemed to be the best of 'em, sharp is too dear and Sony is NLA:cray:

EDIT- I think one of my Sony phones had a fault caused by me that I only worked out with a later phone. Tiny metal filings stuck to the ear speaker and they need a little hit with the air blower from time to time or they crackle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A got a pair of broken Bose headphones from a friend and fixed them. It is usually the little driver units inside them that fail, if you can get them apart without breaking shit they are easy to replace. Also it would seem that every set of headphones uses the same cheap driver no matter how expensive they are.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Anyone want to join me in starting up a discount airline ONLY for people traveling with kids? We’d save money by only serving warm milk. I wouldn’t fly on it of course, but the concept…
I always thought with all the money from drunk drivers and alcohol sales we could build them their own freeway to drive on.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
OK, I'm going to do some catharsis here:

Last Thursday I left my kid at school early in the morning, and decided to run back home (I have maybe a ~6km stretch so I figured out I'd put some exercise in to start the day). At 8.15 AM, and when I was running in front of the Journalism and Social Communications Faculty, with a lot of people walking/driving in, my smartwatch alerted me I got an email from work, so I stopped to check it.

That's when I heard the screams of a couple of thugs riding a motorbike and telling me to surrender my phone over my headphones. They rode onto the sidewalk and the one on the back was trying to get a gun off his windbreaker's pocket.

I lost it; the many years doing jiu-jitsu when I was young took over, I jumped into these scumbags, punched the one with the gun in the face, grabbed the gun, and grabbed the one driving the bike by his helmet's chin bar. Then I threw them into the ground, grabbed the gun and started kicking them like there was no tomorrow.

They fled. I threw the gun over the fence of the Faculty, and was ready to go my way when I noticed the assholes were returning and asking me to give them the gun (an old, battered .32 revolver IIRC). So into the fight I went again. I grabbed the one with the helmet, threw him into the ground and started suffocating him from behind. The other one started kicking me in my ribcage. I eventually let the one I was strangling go, they grabbed the bike and rode away.

That's when I started the damage assesment: I had several bruises, I started bleeding from a hole the gun's hammer punched in my left hand's palm and my left ribcage hurt. Then I looked around: there were maybe 20 people at 4-5 meters from where I had been fighting these assholes, just watching the show. Nobody dared to help me. Nobody called the cops. Then all of the sudden all of them wanted to help me, to take me to the hospital, to give me comfort.

I yelled at them I didn't need them at that time, I needed them earlier, when I was in danger. When I was thinking I had to incapacitate or kill those two asshloes before they had the chance to make my son an orphan... According to my smartwatch I fought those assholes for FOUR FUCKING MINUTES. FOUR FUCKING MINUTES OF 20 GUYS WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW.

I ran home (I was maybe 10 blocks away), took a bath, a couple diclophenac and ketorolac pills, mended my wounds and drove to the ER. They took X-rays and confirmed I had a cracked rib.

I'm in so much anger with the world right now... I hate how little empathy everyone has for each other...

Sorry for venting out.

/rant.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Last Thursday I left my kid at school early in the morning, and decided to run back home (I have maybe a ~6km stretch so I figured out I'd put some exercise in to start the day). At 8.15 AM, and when I was running in front of the Journalism and Social Communications Faculty, with a lot of people walking/driving in, my smartwatch alerted me I got an email from work, so I stopped to check it.

That's when I heard the screams of a couple of thugs riding a motorbike and telling me to surrender my phone over my headphones. They rode onto the sidewalk and the one on the back was trying to get a gun off his windbreaker's pocket.

I lost it; the many years doing jiu-jitsu when I was young took over, I jumped into these scumbags, punched the one with the gun in the face, grabbed the gun, and grabbed the one driving the bike by his helmet's chin bar. Then I threw them into the ground, grabbed the gun and started kicking them like there was no tomorrow.

They fled. I thew the gun over the fence of the Faculty, and was ready to go my way when I noticed the assholes were returning and asking me to give them the gun (an old, battered .32 revolver IIRC). So into the fight I went again. I grabbed the one with the helmet, threw him into the ground and started suffocating him from behind. The other one started kicking me in my ribcage. I eventually let the one I was strangling go, they grabbed the bike and rode away.

That's when I started the damage assesment: I had several bruises, I started bleeding from a hole the gun's hammer punched in my left hand's palm and my left ribcage hurts. Then I looked around: there were maybe 20 people at 4-5 meters from wheere I had been fighting these assholes just watching the show. Nobody dared to help me. Nobody called the cops. Then all of the sudden all of them wanted to help me, to take me to the hospital, to give me comfort.

I yelled at them I didn't need them at that time, I needed them earlier, when I was in danger. When I was thinking I had to incapacitate or kill those two asshloes before they had the chance to make my son an orphan... According to my smartwatch I fought those assholes for FOUR FUCKING MINUTES. FOUR FUCKING MINUTES OF 20 GUYS WATCHING THE FUCKING SHOW.

I ran home (I was maybe 10 blocks away), took a bath, a couple diclophenac and ketorolac pills, mended my wounds and drove to the ER. They took X-rays and confirmed I had a cracked rib.

I'm in so much anger with the wordd right now... I hate how little empathy everyone has for each other...

Sorry for venting out.

/rant.
:eek:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

They fled. I thew the gun over the fence of the Faculty, and was ready to go my way when I noticed the assholes were returning and asking me to give them the gun (an old, battered .32 revolver IIRC). So into the fight I went again. I grabbed the one with the helmet, threw him into the ground and started suffocating him from behind. The other one started kicking me in my ribcage. I eventually let the one I was strangling go, they grabbed the bike and rode away.

That's when I started the damage assesment: I had several bruises, I started bleeding from a hole the gun's hammer punched in my left hand's palm and my left ribcage hurts. Then I looked around: there were maybe 20 people at 4-5 meters from wheere I had been fighting these assholes just watching the show. Nobody dared to help me. Nobody called the cops. Then all of the sudden all of them wanted to help me, to take me to the hospital, to give me comfort.

I'm in so much anger with the wordd right now... I hate how little empathy everyone has for each other...

Sorry for venting out.

/rant.

jfc

glad you're okay

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
jfc

glad you're okay
Thanks Woo. I wasn't expecting anything like that to happen. Not that early in the morning, not with all that many people around... I guess the assholes thought it would be an easy job...

Hell, if I had the time to think I'd probably had given them my phone, but when I saw the gun all I could think was "I have to knock these guys off or I'm dead"... Old habits die hard. Even for an old, fat, slow guy like me...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
......with mad brazillian jiu jistu skills apparently

Sorry no one jumped in, that's gnarly as hell. That's a shitty morning man, go get a drink!
Worst part was I had a trip scheduled for Friday to the mountains, my wife ran her first mountain run race on Sunday and I was supposed to have Saturday for me, to put out some DH laps... I still drove those 400km to Tandil with that cracked rib on Friday, and back home on Sunday. No DH laps for me, naturally.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Worst part was I had a trip scheduled for Friday to the mountains, my wife ran her first mountain run race on Sunday and I was supposed to have Saturday for me, to put out some DH laps... I still drove those 400km to Tandil with that cracked rib ok Friday, and back home on Sunday. No DH laps for me, naturally.
still better than bullet holes

Got me thinking about it, what do you mean? Capoeira was a way for the African slaves to disguise Onnosei, the North-African bare-hand combat technique IIRC.

"BJJ also allows heelhooks and knee-reaping which are prohibited in Judo, and any takedowns used in wrestling, sambo, or other grappling arts, including direct attempts to take down by touching the legs or dragging the opponent to the ground. Spinal locks and cervical locks are not allowed in gi jiu-jitsu, amateur MMA, multiple forms of no-gi jiu-jitsu, Judo, and other martial arts, due to potential to cause serious bodily injury. BJJ also has become more "sports-oriented" in recent years, prohibiting techniques such as slams. Another divergence of BJJ from Judo and Jujutsu is that the first allows no-gi practice and competition, with its own subset of rules. Use of holds and takedowns from wrestling and other grappling styles is common in no-gi BJJ, and strikes may also be used when the competition rules permit, such as the open palm strike in CJJ"

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

"BJJ also allows heelhooks and knee-reaping which are prohibited in Judo, and any takedowns used in wrestling, sambo, or other grappling arts, including direct attempts to take down by touching the legs or dragging the opponent to the ground. Spinal locks and cervical locks are not allowed in gi jiu-jitsu, amateur MMA, multiple forms of no-gi jiu-jitsu, Judo, and other martial arts, due to potential to cause serious bodily injury. BJJ also has become more "sports-oriented" in recent years, prohibiting techniques such as slams. Another divergence of BJJ from Judo and Jujutsu is that the first allows no-gi practice and competition, with its own subset of rules. Use of holds and takedowns from wrestling and other grappling styles is common in no-gi BJJ, and strikes may also be used when the competition rules permit, such as the open palm strike in CJJ"
Gotcha. I never paid attention to BJJ, just its stylized dance way, Capoeira. You're right, it's as nasty as MMA in my eyes.

I only did gi jiu-jitsu as a way of learning personal defense, not competitively. Our Sensei only hooked us in jiu-jitsu as a way to improve our reaction time and speed. I managed to reach the 3rd-4th spot fight for the South-American Judo championship when I was 14-15, and I partially attribute it to our mixed Judo/Jiu-jitsu training.

Those Brazilian kids I fought against in that championship were mean OTOH. They would try edgy, barely legal moves on you all the time.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

My daughter somehow got into Brasilian jiu-jitsu about two years ago. We take her at least twice a week to the gym for both gi and non gi practice. Her coaches are great people and it's given her tons of confidence that I think she actually really needed. It's also encouraging that both her kids calss, and the adult class she was recently asked to move into are probably pretty close to being split 50/50 male/female. She could probably kill me if she wanted too. :D