Quantcast

The Rat the Crow and the Smoking Roofer

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Well it's strangely coincedental that the best threads of the day were about the death of mice and squirrels. The epic struggle of survival in the modern world is played out in the form of small critters and how us stinky hairless monkies interact and percieve of them. The threads reminded me of something i witnessed just a few days ago, and the premise demands that i repeat a story that i may have already shared on here before, oh well.

Early in the morning speeding along the freeway to work i noticed a crow hopping around erratically. As i passed i noticed he was chasing a rat. The side of the freeway was vast, a good 10 feet or so of shoulder. The crow was busy pecking at the rat and the rat was altering it's course trying to escape. There was no food in the form of trash or road kill to be seen that they could have been fighting over. i drove by slightly bewildered asking myself what the hell was going on here....

Flashback to 8 years or so ago. Working on the roof on a job in the summer. It was a school and it needed to be completed before the kids returned so it was a summer of 10-12 hour days 7 days a week. Temperatures were high and patience short.
That being said there was only one guy there that would get bent out of shape when the crows would fly over to us during lunch break to try to grab a scrap of food we would either feed them or leave behind. This guy would yell at the birds, throw rocks at the birds, and toss them garbage instead of food. He essentially was a complete asshole to these birds.
Well after a week or so that same guy starts yelling around to the other roofers on who stole his fresh pack of smokes. He claims he knows where he left them and somebody stole em blah blah blah. Attention was called to the far part of the roof where we all ran over to witness the crows ripping apart a new pack of Marlboros. They had flew the smokes off the roof onto the ground, away from the ladder. So that way the roofer couldn't jump down to retaliate. Ignoring his screams he finally ran over to collect his smokes and the pack had been opened and every single cigarette had been pecked apart.

True frikkin story, them birds are smart.

So back to the rat and the crow on the side of the freeway. Why would this crow be ****ing with the rat i thought. The answer was simple, that crow was trying to herd that rat into traffic. He was attempting to use the speeding traffic to make himself a nice road kill meal.

Nature is awesome....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Skookum said:

So back to the rat and the crow on the side of the freeway. Why would this crow be ****ing with the rat i thought. The answer was simple, that crow was trying to herd that rat into traffic. He was attempting to use the speeding traffic to make himself a nice road kill meal.

Nature is awesome....
Super smart.

Crows crack nuts in the street in my neighborhood all the time. They drop them from on high and swoop down to eat. You can sit on the porch and watch them crack open breakfast.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Greater Vasa are very smart too. Topi loves to take things apart and put them back together. If you aren't paying attention sometimes he'll throw his toys at you as you are walking by, he has good aim

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Skookum said:
Well it's strangely coincedental that the best threads of the day were about the death of mice and squirrels. The epic struggle of survival in the modern world is played out in the form of small critters and how us stinky hairless monkies interact and percieve of them. The threads reminded me of something i witnessed just a few days ago, and the premise demands that i repeat a story that i may have already shared on here before, oh well.

Early in the morning speeding along the freeway to work i noticed a crow hopping around erratically. As i passed i noticed he was chasing a rat. The side of the freeway was vast, a good 10 feet or so of shoulder. The crow was busy pecking at the rat and the rat was altering it's course trying to escape. There was no food in the form of trash or road kill to be seen that they could have been fighting over. i drove by slightly bewildered asking myself what the hell was going on here....

Flashback to 8 years or so ago. Working on the roof on a job in the summer. It was a school and it needed to be completed before the kids returned so it was a summer of 10-12 hour days 7 days a week. Temperatures were high and patience short.
That being said there was only one guy there that would get bent out of shape when the crows would fly over to us during lunch break to try to grab a scrap of food we would either feed them or leave behind. This guy would yell at the birds, throw rocks at the birds, and toss them garbage instead of food. He essentially was a complete asshole to these birds.
Well after a week or so that same guy starts yelling around to the other roofers on who stole his fresh pack of smokes. He claims he knows where he left them and somebody stole em blah blah blah. Attention was called to the far part of the roof where we all ran over to witness the crows ripping apart a new pack of Marlboros. They had flew the smokes off the roof onto the ground, away from the ladder. So that way the roofer couldn't jump down to retaliate. Ignoring his screams he finally ran over to collect his smokes and the pack had been opened and every single cigarette had been pecked apart.

Nature is awesome....
Good story skooks, but I still think I hate crows more than I hate rats!
I had a crow that loved this damn tree outside my window a bunch of years back. After long nights of band practice getting ready for our summer tour, the last thing I wanted was to be awakened by this same damn crow "Caw'ing" every morning at 5:45-6:15. I tried to take matters into my own hands and tried with a slingshot to prolong my sleep, but this crow played this little game, as soon as he would see me he'd fly off to another tree... when I would go back to bed there he was. I don't know how smart crows are but they sure have gooooood eyesight!:rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
brungeman said:
After long nights of band practice getting ready for our summer tour, the last thing I wanted was to be awakened by this same damn crow "Caw'ing" every morning at 5:45-6:15.
What band?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I hate to question your thinking Skookum but you are wrong. Man has always tried to link animal behavior with human like thoughts/behavior but usually there is a much simpler and more natural explanation. More than likely the rat owed the crow money.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Not a crow story, but my brother say a hawk kill a pigeon in a funny way.

He said it caught the thing in mid air then cruised over the top of our high school, letting go of it at the last second so it slammed the brick and killed it. Then it proceeded to pick up the pigeon and drop it at height a couple times. After that the hawk was jumping up and down on the carcass. I don't think hawks like pigeons.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
SkaredShtles said:
:confused:

What's wrong with cigarettes?

:confused:
Nothing at all............. hey by the way .......if you don't smoke them maybe you should start. I would recommend at least 2-3 packs of them a day for you! and if your coughing from them you need to smoke a few more! that cough will usually go away!

WHEN YOUR DEAD:dead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
brungeman said:
Nothing at all............. hey by the way .......if you don't smoke them maybe you should start.
I tried it for a few months when I was 16. I got really tired of waking up with a taste that I imagine was akin to having a pack of leper rats running around $hitting in your mouth........ :dead: I'll pass.

Oh, and
:D