Quantcast

The Re-birth of a Kona Hardtail with Pics

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
First off I want to thank Stosh for giving me Aubrey's old Hahanna frame to serve as the base for this build that I put together for my son Liam with the help of many monkeys and nonmonkeys. I want to thank Matt, a non monkey friend who did a bunch of work last night to help get this bike up and running.

The frame is a 1997 Kona Hahanna steel hardtail and many of the parts were acquired through barters, cheap sales, stuff from the parts bin, etc. etc.

I think it came out damned nice. Liam is already 5 feet tall so this 14" frame should fit him fine with the short Ritchey stem up front.

Whattya think??

Here's the Rundown:
Kona Frame - thanks Stosh and Aubrey
Aheadset - thanks Echo!!!
Marin Ovation Riser Bars
Ritchey stem
Sram 9.0 8 speed grip shifters
Profile shorty grips
Avid brake levers - thanks loco!
1998 Sid fork - thanks to a guy from Bikerag.com
Shimano Deore Hollowtech cranks thanks to - rockymountain21
Kona Jack **** Pedals
Truvativ Bashguard
SRAM X-Generation front deraileur - great deal from BMXman
SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur
XTR V Brakes front and rear with Salsa brake booster on the rear (Narlus will recognize this stuff)
Wheelset is from an older Specialized Enduro - Mavic 223s laced to Specialized stout hubs - acquired through a parts swap with Handlebars on RM
Tires are Specialized Enduro 2.2s from www.chucksbikes.com
Syncros Seatpost (Narlus)
And SDG Satellite Saddle (from either Kidwoo or Punkasssean on RM)

I think that covers everything. If the weather cooperates Liam will give it a test ride later today! :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
looks nice! i always dug kona hardtails, esp the steel ones. i had a Hot which was a fun bike until my wife drove it into the house on top of the car. :dead:

yeah, that brake booster was instantly recognisable. :thumb:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Looks great and he should get lots of great riding out of it. I love Kona and I'm still tearing up the trails with my Kona hardtail (aluminum though). Soon Liam will surpass me...I only ride a 16 :p

J

JRB

I think I have a SID blue booster that would be fabulous on there.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well that is one place the sid can be used for. a lightweight beginner mtber. anywhere else it should just be thrown out.
finally!
nice build

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
When I have kids (In a land far far away) I will build them bikes too!

Looks good man, wish my dad built me nice bikes when I was a kid!

And since when did Park make white stands :confused:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That stand is my friend Matt's and it is pretty old - but still does the job great. I guess a testament to Park Tool quality.

We are watching Star Wars Episode III right now and then Liam plans on taking her out for a spin. :thumb: