Quantcast

The REALLY best rear shock in the world!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some of you need to read this:

http://www.bikemag.com/news/news-of-the-tweet-97-percent-of-the-internet-is-as-dumb-as-a-hammer/

"If you are one of the ass hats who got wound up by their little tease then you probably can’t tell the on-trail difference between a $400 rear shock and a potato stuffed into your linkages, unless there was a forum thread you once read about the performance co-efficiency and damping characteristics of starchy tubers."

Reminds me of when a friend of mine once had "Pull" stickers on his rear shock and people used to push on it ans say how much better it felt. (*nothing against proper Push tuning, but it was amazing to see the power of a sticker at work).
who writes this drivel? bike industry marketing is really lowering the bar this year. and crap mags like bike aren't helping.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so much win.

"they probably couldn't tell the difference between the new vivid and loaf of day-old bread wedged in their linkage."
[edit] source of above quote: http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com/2013/03/this-is-amazing.html
[/edit]

Some of you need to read this:

http://www.bikemag.com/news/news-of-the-tweet-97-percent-of-the-internet-is-as-dumb-as-a-hammer/

"If you are one of the ass hats who got wound up by their little tease then you probably can’t tell the on-trail difference between a $400 rear shock and a potato stuffed into your linkages, unless there was a forum thread you once read about the performance co-efficiency and damping characteristics of starchy tubers."

Reminds me of when a friend of mine once had "Pull" stickers on his rear shock and people used to push on it ans say how much better it felt. (*nothing against proper Push tuning, but it was amazing to see the power of a sticker at work).
it also appears as if the brilliant minds at bikemag have run out of their own ideas and are stealing from team robot

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Maybe if they used someone with a bit more "stage presence" (or beam more of a personality than a Potatoe) than Jeremiah Boobar, it would have been obvious it was a "joke"

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
"a piece of ________ stuck in your linkage." Truly deep, Charlie must have had to think for hours to come up with that one. This blatant theft by Bike mag cannot stand, and I refuse to to buy their mag, like their photos on Instagram, or contribute to their publication in any way until Seb offers an apology and submits to a public flogging.

mash, mash, mash . . .

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"a piece of ________ stuck in your linkage." Truly deep, Charlie must have had to think for hours to come up with that one. This blatant theft by Bike mag cannot stand, and I refuse to to buy their mag, like their photos on Instagram, or contribute to their publication in any way until Seb offers an apology and submits to a public flogging.

mash, mash, mash . . .
come on lets be real here. do you really think the pool of originality in the world of mtb journalism is that deep that making the same comparison about the same product is just coincidence?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
come on lets be real here. do you really think the pool of originality in the world of mtb journalism is that deep that making the same comparison about the same product is just coincidence?
It isn't and it likely wasn't. Wow, um, big deal? Because it's also not really that amazingly creative either, and I can't even pretend to give a sh*t.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It isn't and it likely wasn't. Wow, um, big deal? Because it's also not really that amazingly creative either, and I can't even pretend to give a sh*t.
I'm still trying to recover from the near aneurysm I just had. Now I remember why I typically ignore most bike industry "publications"

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I think it's a great idea for Rockshox. It allows them to use a smaller percentage of consumers to pay to do their product testing for them, as opposed to say that Totem 2-step that they just let anyone with $1k find the failures.
ahh, so they are going to let the consumer do their R&D for them again after all.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
... do you really think the pool of originality in the world of mtb journalism is that deep...
it seems to me that may be the case. I open Bike Mag: Seb Kemp. I open Dirt: Seb Kemp. I open NSMB: Seb Kemp. Heck even teh Monkey links to Seb Kemp (I don't want to bother looking it up, but I'm referring to the defense of Evil piece he wrote that wasn't published in any paying publication). I bet if I opened a dozen other mtb publications I'd find Seb Kemp. I have nothing against him personally, and I find his prose has gotten a little less pretentious over the years, to the point I sort of enjoy reading it, but it seems like he produces about 80% of the journalism related to the "lifestyle" of our sport... a little diversity would be nice. I should say, he's probably a really nice guy and a great rider, he's certainly a prolific workhorse of an author and good on'im for that, it's just that his style of writing doesn't always hook me in.

on the topic of this thread, I refuse to believe 97% of mtbers didn't cotton on to the sarcasm of that "campaign".... most people had to be playing along for the fun of it, right? I mean come on!?!?!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it seems to me that may be the case. I open Bike Mag: Seb Kemp. I open Dirt: Seb Kemp. I open NSMB: Seb Kemp. Heck even teh Monkey links to Seb Kemp (I don't want to bother looking it up, but I'm referring to the defense of Evil piece he wrote that wasn't published in any paying publication). I bet if I opened a dozen other mtb publications I'd find Seb Kemp. I have nothing against him personally, and I find his prose has gotten a little less pretentious over the years, to the point I sort of enjoy reading it, but it seems like he produces about 80% of the journalism related to the "lifestyle" of our sport... a little diversity would be nice. I should say, he's probably a really nice guy and a great rider, he's certainly a prolific workhorse of an author and good on'im for that, it's just that his style of writing doesn't always hook me in.
i've been paying so little attention that I had no idea that was the case.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
on the topic of this thread, I refuse to believe 97% of mtbers didn't cotton on to the sarcasm of that "campaign".... most people had to be playing along for the fun of it, right? I mean come on!?!?!
Seriously. Anyone that didn't realize immediately that it was a joke, wow. Just wow.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Seriously. Anyone that didn't realize immediately that it was a joke, wow. Just wow.
pretty much....a whole lot of fail all around, to be fair, a horribly thought out 'advertising' campaign, and a while lot of idiots on the consumer side too, actually, pretty par for the course.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
This makes my head hurt. I guess with the total dominance of Fox in rear shock purchases, you have to get creative(according to this about 60% Fox to 15% RS) I'm still not getting a Cock Blox product. Mostly because I don't want to be on the robots kill list.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm fairly certain this was all planned out as an April Fools by Rockshox. Then, for whatever reason, management ordered them to release it three weeks early. Due to some upcoming product release from a competitor maybe? I don't know if Fox is about to launch something? Or maybe it's about these DVO things.

Who knows. But my money's on that. An April Fools, brought forwards at the last minute.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Am I the only one who's just puzzled? I'm still trying to get my head around to just what I am supposed to give a fyck about.